DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/606852-stephen-kings-under-dome-season-1-discussion-cbs.html)

Geofferson 04-01-13 01:14 PM

Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

I have a few hundred pages left in the book. Interesting to see the casting choices they went with. Dean Norris :up:

Rob V 04-01-13 04:19 PM

Maybe stop with 25 pages to go. Your imagination will be better than knowing the ending... I'm curios to see how they handle it on tv.

DJLinus 05-10-13 11:49 PM

I finished the book about an hour ago. When I was reading The Stand, a friend told me who starred in the miniseries despite my telling him not to. So I had the horribly miscast Parker Lewis popping up in my head whenever I'd read about Harold Lauder. This time around I made sure not to read anything about the upcoming adaptation (or have my friends reveal any details).

Turns out I was being overcautious. With the exception of Dean Norris, I've never heard of any of the actors mentioned in this thread. :lol: So none of them would've replaced my own mental images of the characters.

I was under the impression it was going to be a miniseries in the old school sense - airing three or four nights in a row and that's it. But it's actually a series, left open for a second season? As mentioned earlier, if ratings are bad and it doesn't get another season, that's going to suck.

Rob V 05-11-13 06:18 AM

Not sure how you'd do a second season. I believe this will arc over 13 episodes to closure.

collven 05-12-13 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 11687245)
Not sure how you'd do a second season. I believe this will arc over 13 episodes to closure.

They absolutely are planning on more than one season for this. Here is a post from Stephen King's forum where someone asked that exact question.

http://www.stephenking.com/community...Ongoing-Series

Bev Vincent, the person who answered the question, works with King.

They will obviously have to change a lot of things from the book, but it looks like they were going to do that anyway.

Charlie Goose 05-12-13 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by collven (Post 11687923)
They absolutely are planning on more than one season for this.

I'm out.

dex14 05-12-13 07:37 AM

Well... that changes things... I was excited about them doing a 1 season series. Man... networks are just assholes.

TerryW 05-12-13 07:39 AM

I've NOT yet read this King book but it seems really dumb to take a very long novel and start a series without and endgame. That's not fair to the viewer. It should be produced as a definitive mini- or maxi-series with a specific number of episodes that tells the entire story from the book. If they want to expand from that into a regular series afterwards with original material, go for it.

Rob V 05-12-13 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11688011)
Man... networks are just assholes.

This x 1000... is there no limit to fucking greed? Just put out a good mini-series and move on to another one. I'd love to see 11/22/63 as a mini-series as well... but CBS would probably just turn that into a time travel series anyway.

RoboDad 05-12-13 01:34 PM

That's not what American viewers want. If 13 episodes are good, the 130 must be better.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a "fresh, new" approach (i.e., the way many shows in the UK have worked for decades) in Hollywood, where some series are created with a specific number of planned episodes, then complete the total story in that run, and then end. Then, add to that other "continuing" series that have very limited episodes per season (6-12, for example), allowing for greater variety in overall programming.

People don't need or expect a new Star Wars or Iron Man movie every week at the movie theater. Why should television be that different?

PhantomStranger 05-12-13 02:33 PM

The mini-series is dead for network television. It's not worth their time or investment anymore to advertise and promote a hit show, only to get 13 episodes out of it. The networks don't want to be involved on a project with limited upside. That type of content has shifted to cable networks and even there it is on life support.

Michael Corvin 05-12-13 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11688308)
The networks don't want to be involved on a project with limited upside..

As a viewer there is limited upside to watching a show that has a definitive ending being strung out longer than need be.

Chances are this doesn't even get a season 2 though.

dex14 05-16-13 09:47 AM

New extended trailer. It is still being referred to as a limited series.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/unde...ler-cbs-video/

Rob V 06-23-13 10:11 PM

Bump... Set your DVR, this starts tomorrow. I'm fired up for this one.

dex14 06-24-13 12:01 AM

Also... all signs point to them trying to do this as a multiple season show.

Rob V 06-24-13 07:09 AM

If they must make it multiple seasons then it's gotta follow the book. They can't just have a community living under a dome for 6 seasons and then wrap it up like the did for Lost.

Michael Corvin 06-24-13 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 11741536)
If they must make it multiple seasons then it's gotta follow the book. They can't just have a community living under a dome for 6 seasons and then wrap it up like the did for Lost.

:lol: Can you imagine the backlash if they did that using the ending from the book? The backlash on Lost would be peanuts compared to that.

Gizmo 06-24-13 09:24 AM

I'm in tonight.

Dan 06-24-13 12:15 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'll be watching it tonight, for sure.
I really don't like the girl from Life Unexpected, though. That show was terrible.

mphtrilogy 06-24-13 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 11741644)
I'm in tonight.

ditto, All Tivo'd up

JayDerek 06-24-13 12:54 PM

in for tonight for sure -

csant 06-24-13 12:57 PM

Nothing else on and all caught up with missed shows... I'll toon in tonight to check it out.

boss429 06-24-13 01:10 PM

Psyched for this tonight!

Rob V 06-24-13 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11741612)
:lol: Can you imagine the backlash if they did that using the ending from the book? The backlash on Lost would be peanuts compared to that.

People are going to absolutely hate the ending anyways... they'd almost be better served saying the dome is purgatory :lol:

Sheff 06-24-13 08:50 PM

Saw the pilot. As a huge fan of the book, I'm not happy at all with the changes made to the characters.