Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

Originally Posted by Quatermass
They built that gallows pretty damn fast. What did it take, 20 minutes? I'd think they would still be trying to round up the lumber. I doubt I will waste any time on season two.
They did like to play fast and loose with all the timing in this one. I kept wondering when all the cars would run out of gas (with all the driving and siphoning etc.).
Old 09-19-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
They did like to play fast and loose with all the timing in this one. I kept wondering when all the cars would run out of gas (with all the driving and siphoning etc.).
Electric cars.
Old 09-19-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
They SERIOUSLY need to finish the story by the end of next season. Maybe that is likely to happen based on likely the ratings may drop.

I also just read someone say this -

So some people enjoy it.
Some people like blood sausage.
Old 09-19-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Is this the most-hated show that people kept watching? Other than Lost...
See, I liked Lost. I still do. The finale didn't bother me at all, either. After they got past season two and got the OK from ABC to end the show on their time line, the series improved quite a bit.
Old 09-19-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

No one hated Lost while watching it. Only the sheer inanity of the finale and its ultimate explanations drove people up the wall.
Old 09-19-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No one hated Lost while watching it. Only the sheer inanity of the finale and its ultimate explanations drove people up the wall.
Some people. Half of whom didn't even understand it. Lost had issues, but not the ones most people accuse it of. And it's my go-to reminder to self about why we don't get more challenging TV shows.

Under The Dome, on the other hand, is indefensibly idiotic -- and deserves no comparison to Lost.
Old 09-19-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My only issue with it is it tried to explain just a tad too much for my taste. I would have rather some of the mysteries remain mysteries. That it didn't answer all of them was fine with me. This was a series created by JJ Abrams, a man who has an upopened box of magic tricks from when he was a kid because the mystery of what is inside and thinking about it is more fascinating to him than solving the mystery. Anybody who thought he was going to open his box and show you everything regarding Lost didn't understand the mindset of the man behind it.
Old 09-20-13, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
My only issue with it is it tried to explain just a tad too much for my taste. I would have rather some of the mysteries remain mysteries. That it didn't answer all of them was fine with me. This was a series created by JJ Abrams, a man who has an upopened box of magic tricks from when he was a kid because the mystery of what is inside and thinking about it is more fascinating to him than solving the mystery. Anybody who thought he was going to open his box and show you everything regarding Lost didn't understand the mindset of the man behind it.
The problem here is Lost was six years of build-up with no payoff. The answers to the few mysteries that they gave (the whispers, the skeletons) were weak and hackneyed.

And, outside of the pilot, I don't J. J. Abrams had much to do with the show other than a producer's credit and cashing checks.
Old 09-20-13, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Sure can't relate to that mindset, I want and like all the answers to everything. Some a show does not give any answers half the time I will just think the writer does not even know.

Reminds me of someone saying they have this chest in their house and when talked about they likely said it has not been open in decades and they are not sure what's in it. Seriously? I would last about two minutes before that thing was tossed open by whatever means. (carefully)

When it comes to story I just think, TELL your story, all of it.
Old 09-20-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Creative people don't give answers when they don't have satisfying answers to give. It was a cop-out by Lost's writers when they said the story was as much about the journey as the ending.
Old 09-23-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

I had no problem with Lost's finale. The only aspect I truly disliked about the show had to do with the brothers. Otherwise it was fine, I was also amused at the number of people who though
Spoiler:
they were dead the entire time they were on the island
which missed the boat by a few hundred miles.

Under the Dome though, these fuckers are just liars all around. First this was a regular series, then a limited series, then a regular series again, wtf.