Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

Some of that is what I was hinting to with the dome being a cocoon or chrysalis.

Everyone inside is essentially food.
Old 08-14-13, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
"Monarch will be crowned" refers to Monarch Butterfly is what I was thinking.
That's some Illuminati MK Ultra shit right there... are they trying to tell us something?

Originally Posted by whotony
True could mean a few things. While I doubt a butterfly will become king couldn't monarch refer to a king or leader if sorts?

So someone or something will be crowned literally or metaphorically.

Unless a race of giant butterflies is about to emerge.
King? As in Stephen??? I haven't read this book, so I'm not spoiling anything... but it wouldn't be the first time he inserted himself into a story.
Old 08-14-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

For those who have read the book, I was curious how far into the book the show is at. That is, if it's semi-following the book (which I have but still need to read).
Old 08-14-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
For those who have read the book, I was curious how far into the book the show is at. That is, if it's semi-following the book (which I have but still need to read).
I've yet to read the book, but I was reading an interview with Stephen King about the program and he said they changed the characters and took a lot of liberties with the overall story. I'm interested in seeing what the actual differences are.
Old 08-14-13, 09:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I read the book and from what I recall, the show has pretty much taken its own course now (and has for the last few weeks).
Old 08-14-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just started to read the book and it's really different. The character's names are the same but some of their personalites/backgrounds are not the same. Even the dome isn't exactly as it was depicted in the book.
Old 08-14-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I read the book and from what I recall, the show has pretty much taken its own course now (and has for the last few weeks).
True, it veered way off. They introduced people and storylines not in the book and many other things.
Old 08-15-13, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why has no one addressed the fact that the chick with the two mom's is so ugly?? She makes me cringe every time her face comes on the TV. I can't possibly be alone on this...
Old 08-15-13, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I just started to read the book and it's really different. The character's names are the same but some of their personalites/backgrounds are not the same. Even the dome isn't exactly as it was depicted in the book.
When they change stuff so much why bother saying it is based on a book, just be a town stuck under the dome sense no one can seem to truly base a movie or show on a book correctly.
Old 08-15-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
When they change stuff so much why bother saying it is based on a book, just be a town stuck under the dome sense no one can seem to truly base a movie or show on a book correctly.
I agree. The book is fantastic... the show sucks. For anyone even on the fence, I can't recommend the book enough. I was hoping for an adaptation of 11/22/63 but only if a non OTA channel handles it.
Old 08-15-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ikiilecru371
Why has no one addressed the fact that the chick with the two mom's is so ugly?? She makes me cringe every time her face comes on the TV. I can't possibly be alone on this...
You mean the human movie screen? Her forehead is 19" tall... she's distractingly ugly.

Also, the female sherrif delivers her lines like she's literally reading them from a cue card. Normal people don't enunciate every single fucking syllable or letter... feel free to loosen up.
Old 08-15-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I've yet to read the book, but I was reading an interview with Stephen King about the program and he said they changed the characters and took a lot of liberties with the overall story. I'm interested in seeing what the actual differences are.
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Originally Posted by mrhan
Originally Posted by grenier
True, it veered way off. They introduced people and storylines not in the book and many other things.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-15-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Thanks for the info!
Is this based on anything and who is Stephen King?
Old 08-15-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was beginning to think I was the only one, she's a woofer.
Old 08-15-13, 05:23 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I officially bailed. Oh well.
Old 08-15-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by arminius
Is this based on anything and who is Stephen King?
He's the husband of author Tabitha King.
Old 08-15-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
You mean the human movie screen? Her forehead is 19" tall... she's distractingly ugly.

Also, the female sherrif delivers her lines like she's literally reading them from a cue card. Normal people don't enunciate every single fucking syllable or letter... feel free to loosen up.
I think she might be Joey Jordison (Slipknot's drummer) in drag.

Old 08-15-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
I agree. The book is fantastic... the show sucks. For anyone even on the fence, I can't recommend the book enough. I was hoping for an adaptation of 11/22/63 but only if a non OTA channel handles it.
I may have to take a look to see how different it is. When something wants to use the concept yet change everything they should just write their own story. In a round about way like how Heroes was basically X-Men (yes, just because they have powers) without the X-Men, I really don't care as long as I get the concept (which they kind of ran off track with) and since others have done this story I wonder why they even bother.

I hear so often that they have to change things, why? The only thing I can see moving around is pacing. Aside from that why can't a book be correctly turned into a show or movie. Yet I'm okay with The Walking Dead doing it's own thing, maybe how comics are just based on many years worth of the character and tell their own take. It would be different if it was from one book and then they get it all wrong.
Old 08-17-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I hear so often that they have to change things, why? The only thing I can see moving around is pacing. Aside from that why can't a book be correctly turned into a show or movie. Yet I'm okay with The Walking Dead doing it's own thing, maybe how comics are just based on many years worth of the character and tell their own take. It would be different if it was from one book and then they get it all wrong.
A network like CBS only licenses a Stephen King property because his name instantly attracts viewers. They don't really care about the book itself and his most important contribution to the television show was his name being used for publicity. King still has a huge fan base of adult males who follow his projects when they get made for movies and television.

Things get changed around because network executives think they can maximize the appeal of a property beyond its original fans. It is the only reason why Hollywood continually tries to tinker with proven concepts.
Old 08-17-13, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Good point... I'll tell you what though, if they make a giant alien-butterfuly emerge from the center of the dome nucleus, I'll never watch another CBS show in my life. The book ending is bad enough but at least King made me care about the characters. CBS is failing on all accounts with this show right now.
Old 08-17-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I officially bailed. Oh well.
Yep, I'm out. I can't think of any decisions made for this show that have been good. OK, maybe the sliced-in-half cow. But I'm tired of that now, too.
Old 08-17-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

It's rare for a movie or television series to be 100% faithful to the source material. Things get changed all the time... Walking Dead, True Blood, Dexter, etc. Game of Thrones is stays pretty close to the source material, but they still change some things up.

You just have to roll with it.
Old 08-17-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A network like CBS only licenses a Stephen King property because his name instantly attracts viewers. They don't really care about the book itself and his most important contribution to the television show was his name being used for publicity. King still has a huge fan base of adult males who follow his projects when they get made for movies and television.

Things get changed around because network executives think they can maximize the appeal of a property beyond its original fans. It is the only reason why Hollywood continually tries to tinker with proven concepts.
If I was the author I would prefer the show be based on the source. Grab the name and then change basically everything, really no point other then having the same. It seems that aside from some names and location this could be based on a few other stories about a dome. For all I know I could like what the show does better.

There have been movies taken from a comic mini series that changed some details and I liked the changes. I think this should just be a limited series yet they will drag it out until no one cares.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's rare for a movie or television series to be 100% faithful to the source material. Things get changed all the time... Walking Dead, True Blood, Dexter, etc. Game of Thrones is stays pretty close to the source material, but they still change some things up.

You just have to roll with it.
Everyone seems to do it. They act like it is so hard to stay on track when it really just seems someone in charge wants to tell a different story. If I made a book into a movie I likely would try to make it exactly like the book because that is what a lot of people want to see. Now with an ongoing comic or book series things can change a bit. As I talked about above I am perfectly fine with The Walking Dead changing things around, maybe because it is an ongoing and I don't want to know every detail. There would be no surprises or plot points that I did not know about.

Of course not all changes are bad. Maybe the biggest problem is poorly done changes or where it feels like they hacked up the idea. Another example is a tv show of a tv show. (Being Human) The first season was mostly trying to be the UK version and I liked when they changed things around because I don't want a rehashed version of the same thing.

I have had to tell someone that somethings are not going to happen, no one wants to make a four hour Twilight movie of the first three films, a mini series maybe one day yet that series is more of a fad based on it's target market and will anyone care in a couple years.

I imagine there is even a topic around here about books into movies or tv shows that had changes you liked.

Last edited by Xiroteus; 08-17-13 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-18-13, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-18-13, 07:01 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.