Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

I wish we would've got an hour of the girl in the shelter with a wet shirt on.
Old 07-17-13, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

They gave the toughest role in the series to its worst actor. The guy playing Junior is in way over his head, cast mostly for his looks.

Since Junior is such a pivotal character, I can't see this show going anywhere but turning into a flaming wreck.
Old 07-17-13, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The people of this town seem to deserve their awful fate.

1) You're in indefinite imprisonment and you're throwing precious food (eggs) at the dome?
2) The seizure kids: these morons think that secrecy is the best policy in a crisis?
3) Way too much driving going on. Gas is incredibly valuable, people.
Old 07-17-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
The people of this town seem to deserve their awful fate.

1) You're in indefinite imprisonment and you're throwing precious food (eggs) at the dome?
2) The seizure kids: these morons think that secrecy is the best policy in a crisis?
3) Way too much driving going on. Gas is incredibly valuable, people.
The thing to keep in mind though is that they said in this last episode that only 3-4 days had passed so far. If that's true, all of these things are believable. People would likely not realize resources were scarce until after a few weeks passed and they finally realized they were stuck there, possibly forever. They're still thinking this is some sort of cosmic mistake. This isn't like Jericho where something happened that people immediately realized has changed their life forever. They still think an explanation is coming.

That said, while part of me is enjoying this show, there are way too many scenes where you just have to "go with it" because the writers are conjuring up reactions and storylines just to make the story happen the way they want.

For the drug store to be robbed and Big Jim to immediately figure out the priest robbed it--without a shred of onsite evidence--is crazy. There are thousands of people trapped in the dome--it could have been kids, opportunists, anything. The last person I'd suspect is the priest. I don't care if he does have a big Hearst.

Thank God the girl was finally found, but I fear Big Jim is going to lock her in there himself to protect Junior...and we'll have more weeks of this. Sigh.
Old 07-17-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I thought Big Jim figured it was the priest since they set up that the priest was a druggie in the 2nd episode
Old 07-17-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty

Thank God the girl was finally found, but I fear Big Jim is going to lock her in there himself to protect Junior...and we'll have more weeks of this. Sigh.
Based on the way he was standing, I'm 99.9% certain
Spoiler:
He's going to get knocked in the head from behind by Junior.
Old 07-17-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I would be really annoyed if he continues to keep Angie hostage to protect his kid.
That is the first thing I thought about and I hope they do not go there.
Old 07-17-13, 01:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They can't let Angie go this early, because they just started the "Junior is now a cop OMGWTF!?" storyline.
Old 07-17-13, 07:23 PM

Well I'm out. Gave it a fair shot, enjoyed the book, but the series (to me) is just tedious and boring. Way too many bland characters that I don't care about. Junior is terrible, both as a character and the Andy Samberg-looking guy playing him. The seizures are ridiculous. The stuff with Angie is awful. Finally took it off the DVR schedule. If it gets a lot better, I'll try to catch up On Demand, but it's just a weirdly paced, uninteresting mess right now.
Old 07-17-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm done too. Just a terrible show in every regard.
Old 07-17-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If people are bored already I cannot imagine dragging this out for several seasons in the same location, that would just be painful, four episodes in and I have a feeling some think six or seven episodes would be enough.
Old 07-17-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
If people are bored already I cannot imagine dragging this out for several seasons in the same location, that would just be painful, four episodes in and I have a feeling some think six or seven episodes would be enough.
The writing and acting have been sub-par for the most part. The concept itself is a strong one, but this show has little idea on the correct execution of King's story. I can't blame anyone for bailing at this point.
Old 07-17-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Debating if I should check this out since I hated the book. I'm hard pressed to think of a book I finished and hated more than under the dome. Didn't care for the characters, the story, or the ending. Big Jim might have been feeling it but I sure wasn't.
Wow. Ending aside, I think it's easily King's best, non-DT, work post accident.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Dean Norris is good. Huge improvement on the character in the book, who was a one-note "mustache twirling" villain.
Gotta disagree here too. Big Jim is King's best villain in at least a decade. Was he over the top? Definitely, but that's what was so great about him. Norris is playing him too low key.

Originally Posted by slop101
If this show/story is going to be more about the people in the town than the phenomena behind the dome, then I am out. Mostly because don't have two fucks to give about any of these people.
That's exactly what it is. It's very similar to the Mist. It's not about the Mist, what's in it or where it came from, it's about how people react in such a situation.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This just isn't grabbing me.

Looks and feels like a Lifetime movie. It has that certain... "network tv" quality that just doesn't seem to work well with high concepts like this. Might have worked better on cable and with an ensemble of better actors. Like "Revolution," it wants to be ambitious and edgy, but just can't quite pull it off with what its given.
This. Exactly. It's such a low budget affair that it's hard to take any of it seriously. It's just laughable. It's not quite Langoliers bad, but it's not even up to The Stand quality, which wasn't even that impressive either.

This book had so much potential as a limited series, but they have just royally screwed the pooch with casting, dialog, dumb characters, and changes from the book. Hopefully it doesn't taint someone's interest in reading it because it's a fantastic read.
Old 07-17-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And since my memory is failing me someone spoiler what the "pink stars falling" was in the book, please.
Old 07-18-13, 12:03 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Michael, have you read From a Buick 8 yet? I think that may be my favorite post-accident King book.

My wife and I are watching the show because we both really like the book (AND the ending!) and while we like the show it's not "must see TV," by any means. Just hasn't really grabbed us quite yet. This may sound weird but it's clearly a "show." It doesn't feel real; it feels acted, performed, over-scripted. I don't believe these people or the way they're portrayed. And unfortunately, I don't care about anyone yet. Three episodes in, I should care about someone!
Old 07-18-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The writing and acting have been sub-par for the most part. The concept itself is a strong one, but this show has little idea on the correct execution of King's story. I can't blame anyone for bailing at this point.
From what I have seen others say it seems they should have stayed closer to the book which seems no one can ever do for some reason.
Old 07-18-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. Ending aside, I think it's easily King's best, non-DT, work post accident.

Gotta disagree here too. Big Jim is King's best villain in at least a decade. Was he over the top? Definitely, but that's what was so great about him. Norris is playing him too low key.

That's exactly what it is. It's very similar to the Mist. It's not about the Mist, what's in it or where it came from, it's about how people react in such a situation.

This. Exactly. It's such a low budget affair that it's hard to take any of it seriously. It's just laughable. It's not quite Langoliers bad, but it's not even up to The Stand quality, which wasn't even that impressive either.

This book had so much potential as a limited series, but they have just royally screwed the pooch with casting, dialog, dumb characters, and changes from the book. Hopefully it doesn't taint someone's interest in reading it because it's a fantastic read.
Great post... you hit the nail on the head. This mini-series is doing the book no justice at all. I'm actually going to cancel my pre-order of the collectible DVD with mini-dome set.
Old 07-18-13, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

And since my memory is failing me someone spoiler what the "pink stars falling" was in the book, please.
For the life of me, I can't remember this happening in the book. It may have, but if it did, it had no tie-in to the conclusion, IIRC.
Old 07-18-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm 99% sure it was in the book and meant something, I just can't recall what.

Originally Posted by story
Michael, have you read From a Buick 8 yet? I think that may be my favorite post-accident King book.
I think I read about a quarter of it before giving up. Came across as a Christine knockoff at the time. Should I give it another chance?

I should have also clarified, I haven't read Lisey or Duma.

Originally Posted by story
My wife and I are watching the show because we both really like the book (AND the ending!) and while we like the show it's not "must see TV," by any means. Just hasn't really grabbed us quite yet. This may sound weird but it's clearly a "show." It doesn't feel real; it feels acted, performed, over-scripted. I don't believe these people or the way they're portrayed. And unfortunately, I don't care about anyone yet. Three episodes in, I should care about someone!
This is a great point as well. Doesn't sound weird at all. It should definitely feel more real. As for caring for people, Barbie was easy to root for in the book and they fucked up his character with this dumb murder plot and that leaves, well no one to give a shit about. I remember liking the reporter in the book too, but her tv counterpart hasn't hooked me yet either.
Old 07-18-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my failing memory is right:

Spoiler:
After the meth lab explodes, the pollution causes pink streaks of fire to run down the inside of the dome
Old 07-18-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That sounds familiar grenier. Thanks.
Old 07-18-13, 12:04 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Regarding From a Buick 8:

I think I read about a quarter of it before giving up. Came across as a Christine knockoff at the time. Should I give it another chance?
I think so. I was always a bigger fan of King's short stories than his novels and this is his first novel I remember reading and really liking. I came to it because he mentions developing it in On Writing and the way he came to the story intrigued me, as a writer, and I first read it by listening to it on CD so the experience of hearing it was really good. The storytelling device is that it's actually framed as stories told by a small handful of storytellers so perhaps the audio experience helped in that, too.

If you promise to be careful with it, PM me with your address and I'll let you borrow it for the cost of shipping.
Old 07-21-13, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Found the two most recent episodes inexplicably on the DVR and skimmed through them. This show is just all kinds of awful, top to bottom. OK, I admit these last couple weren't as bad as the one where the priest set the house made of gasoline soaked matchsticks and oily rags on fire, but that might have been the single most poorly crafted episode of a TV series ever broadcast (writing, directing, acting, special effects, just everything). That said, if all the episodes contained that much unintentional humor it might get me to keep watching.
Old 07-21-13, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Found the two most recent episodes inexplicably on the DVR and skimmed through them. This show is just all kinds of awful, top to bottom. OK, I admit these last couple weren't as bad as the one where the priest set the house made of gasoline soaked matchsticks and oily rags on fire, but that might have been the single most poorly crafted episode of a TV series ever broadcast (writing, directing, acting, special effects, just everything). That said, if all the episodes contained that much unintentional humor it might get me to keep watching.
Just to make sure I went back and rewatched that one part, it feels like some goofy skit. I would hate to have a house that flammable. Of course him just sitting there to die made it worse, the fire just started, LEAVE!!!!

Maybe the show will get better?
Old 07-22-13, 10:16 PM

This show is garbage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.