TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "Glease" -- 11/15/12

Old 11-15-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 372 Likes on 279 Posts
Glee -- "Glease" -- 11/15/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Rachel and Kurt pay a visit to Lima as the glee club launches its production of "Grease." Meanwhile, Cassandra July returns to shake things up in Rachel's life, and Santana comes back to lend a helping hand in the all-new "Glease" episode of GLEE airing on Thursday, Nov. 15 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-406) (TV-14)

Read more: Listings - GLEE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2CLfuZk71

Episode 6 of 22
Old 11-15-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Glease" -- 11/15/12

Sandy loooked good!
Old 11-15-12, 11:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really enjoying this 2.0 cast so far.
Old 11-16-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was actually painful to watch and not in a good way. I did love the handling of "You're the One that I Want," that was great. Still, why do they insist on playing these kids as totally stupid. Gee, her Sandy outfit is getting too tight. Does she step on a scale to check her weight? Are all her clothes getting tight? No. To quote the show, "This isn't home anymore." At this point, I'd rather see more focus on the New York/Rachel storyline and less on the school.
Old 11-16-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Really enjoying this 2.0 cast so far.
Same for me. I am a big fan of Grease, so I really enjoyed this one.
Old 11-17-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting to me that the version of "Grease" on Glee was more similar to the movie than the original show: "Greased Lighting" is sung in the show by Kennicke, not Danny, "You're the One That I Want" was written for the movie, etc.

In checking wikipedia, it looks like these changes have been adapted and become part of the show over the years.
Old 11-17-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never watch Glee, but Grease is my favorite movie of all time - so I saw this episode. Actually had to DVR it because (no joke) that night I went to see Olivia Newton-John in concert.

The musical numbers were cute. The girl who played Frenchy was spot on (lookswise) during Beauty School Dropout. The lyric changes during Greased Lightning was corny, of course, but clever. I liked what they did during "There Are Worse Things I Can Do", having it pertain to a few different storylines.

And oh yeah, I didn't know Kate Hudson was on Glee. Oh my, she looked fantastic
Old 11-18-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
That was actually painful to watch and not in a good way. I did love the handling of "You're the One that I Want," that was great. Still, why do they insist on playing these kids as totally stupid. Gee, her Sandy outfit is getting too tight. Does she step on a scale to check her weight? Are all her clothes getting tight? No. To quote the show, "This isn't home anymore." At this point, I'd rather see more focus on the New York/Rachel storyline and less on the school.
Yeah, that didn't make sense, and was Kitty unable to change the "bad Sandy" outfit? Not much room to shrink it, I guess

I hate the Kitty character.

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
Interesting to me that the version of "Grease" on Glee was more similar to the movie than the original show: "Greased Lighting" is sung in the show by Kennicke, not Danny, "You're the One That I Want" was written for the movie, etc.

In checking wikipedia, it looks like these changes have been adapted and become part of the show over the years.
Yeah, the movie changes have been woven into new productions since audiences would complain if they didn't hear Hopelessly Devoted to You, etc. I don't think it applies to school productions, though--at least the ones I've seen recently.

Originally Posted by Nabalab View Post
I never watch Glee, but Grease is my favorite movie of all time - so I saw this episode. Actually had to DVR it because (no joke) that night I went to see Olivia Newton-John in concert.

Originally Posted by Nabalab View Post
And oh yeah, I didn't know Kate Hudson was on Glee. Oh my, she looked fantastic
Yep, smokin'.
Old 11-18-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When a school is doing a musical, in addition to the royalties they're basically renting a crapload of (often used) scripts, choral books, etc.

When remount changes are made to a musical, it's usually to improve it for a high-profile NYC production or big-money tour. Those changes rarely propagate down to the rental materials for schools, so they either do the old version or attempt to recreate the changes on their own, which is technically illegal.