Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Hunter - Travel Channel (Wednesdays)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Toy Hunter - Travel Channel (Wednesdays)

Old 02-09-14, 06:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Toy Hunter - Travel Channel (Wednesdays)

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Loved the Toy Biz art. That would've been cool to own one of those.

Maximum Carnage . I forgot about that line.
I really liked the Toy Biz X-Men figures as a kid. I probably would have nabbed one if I was there.
Old 02-09-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

ToyBiz in general made cool figures back in the day. I remember having a bunch of the WCW figures and some Marvel Legends. I don't think the Hasbro Marvel Legends are as good personally.
Old 02-20-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It seems stupid to me to take a bunch of original carded Star Wars figures out on a boat. This just seems like an accident waiting to happen. And let's pop open some champagne around them too. Or are those containers they put each one in completely waterproof?
Old 02-20-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
It seems stupid to me to take a bunch of original carded Star Wars figures out on a boat. This just seems like an accident waiting to happen. And let's pop open some champagne around them too. Or are those containers they put each one in completely waterproof?
I was kind of thinking that too considering how much those figures are worth. Seemed really set up, which granted most reality shows are but it was odd. Still doesn't beat Jordan meeting the guy from Battlestar Galactica in a limo in the middle of some desert though.
Old 02-20-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

What makes the boat so cringe-worthy is you know it was the suggestion of the truely childish owner, who loves the idea of showing it off on TV. He imagines people envying him, looking at his boat and his champagne and his Star Wars toys and wanting his life.

It's weird the way some people want to be portrayed on TV. I remember a documentary I worked on years ago about a terrible tragedy to befall a Native community, and our lead interview kept insisting he be interviewed inside his van, which he had done up with shag carpet and fancy nightclub lighting. It was the cheesiest thing imaginable, and there was no way anyone would have taken him seriously in such surroundings, but he kept bringing up his van and how great he thought the interview would look in there.
Old 02-27-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm enjoying this show more this season than I did last season. Rather than doing a bunch of random celebrity toy hunts it's been more just about Jordan getting stuff for conventions or his shop. When he is getting something for someone it's for people that make sense (the guys from Gentle Giant who wanted some of the old Kenner Alien and Star Wars figures to base their new lines on or the guy from Mattel who wanted some of the old international Masters of the Universe figures). Hopefully the show sticks to this formula going forward and drops the lame celebrity (or minor celebrity in a lot of cases) episodes.
Old 02-27-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm enjoying this show more this season than I did last season. Rather than doing a bunch of random celebrity toy hunts it's been more just about Jordan getting stuff for conventions or his shop. When he is getting something for someone it's for people that make sense (the guys from Gentle Giant who wanted some of the old Kenner Alien and Star Wars figures to base their new lines on or the guy from Mattel who wanted some of the old international Masters of the Universe figures). Hopefully the show sticks to this formula going forward and drops the lame celebrity (or minor celebrity in a lot of cases) episodes.
Factoring in how it looks like Hulk Hogan is in the next episode and Jason David Frank(the original Green Power Ranger) has confirmed he filmed an episode I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Old 02-27-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm totally missing this season. Where can I catch up ?
Old 02-28-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

"Dark Seed"...
Old 02-28-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I'm totally missing this season. Where can I catch up ?
If you have Comcast, it's On Demand.
Old 02-28-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Did that guy call him Dark Seed again?
Old 02-28-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

No I'm just carrying a grudge
Old 02-28-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
If you have Comcast, it's On Demand.
Damn. I have Direct TV
Old 03-01-14, 03:06 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This show makes everyone regret not buying tons of toys in their childhood and never playing with them

i owned some toys which would be valuable today, of course i destroyed them at the time
Old 03-01-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Damn. I have Direct TV
Not sure how Direct TV works, but you could use search and it might find it on their On Demand feature...
Old 03-20-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Those original 12 Star Wars figures looked cool though Jordan takes them to that guy in Florida on a boat and then removes them from the case and exposes them to sunlight?

Did he have another set or replicas to do something like that on TV since those figures are so valuable?

Also I think those figures still had the price tags and does that hurt the value?

Old 03-20-14, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although right up my alley, (really, really, really... even ran a Star Wars action figure web-site between 97-00 when I was only 13), I'd never given this show a shot. For lack of anything else on of late, finally did, and it's exactly as I expected - the subject matter is appealing, but I can't get past the "scalper" persona. The guy doesn't seem to have any particular niche, not one thing where it's clearly personal, something he loves and is extraordinarily knowledgeable on, much less anything he doesn't look at and only see $$s.

Here's what I don't get though - in this day and age, the era of eBay, what on earth is anyone doing selling things this way and accepting "Hey, I know you're going to resell this and you've got to make a profit, so I'll cut 40% of the value to subsidize your life"?

Like last nights episode? "Hey, you're a scalper, so of course you're an expert on toy design! Here's a million dollars to go do what could take me ten seconds on Google learning." Jesus, the examples shown, to fit the narrative of the show, of course, were like four decade old toys? It's 2014, you want to make figures, and you don't look at McFarlane Toys or the latest from Hasbro, but pay some dude to go round up some loose Megos? Instead of... I don't know, going to Toys R Us or Wal-Mart for ten minutes?

Anyways, bitching aside, I was curious on two things: A. What's this Jordan Hembrough's background like? A hasty Google really didn't turn up a whole lot. I'm assuming there's a reason he's got a show and the dime a dozen Scalper in a white van doesn't. Does he have any reputation whatsoever as a legitimate collector, not just a profiteering reseller, and of what? Because from what I've seen in 8-9 episodes, he makes a lot of mistakes on a lot of different things most folks of the nerd-persuasion would know instantly, much less someone making their living this way. Just like the "Dark-Seed" someone mentioned on page 1 that I've yet to see.

Also, what the **** is the deal with the show's B-Character, Mark I believe? He popped up on several episodes they ran last Wednesday, so is he an employee in real life of this Jordan's? Or is it pretty much entirely staged and the guy just fit the bill for a casting call of a good antagonist/secondary character?
Old 03-20-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally they showed something i used to play with as a kid. I loved Stompers.
Old 03-20-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy doesn't seem to have any particular niche, not one thing where it's clearly personal, something he loves and is extraordinarily knowledgeable on, much less anything he doesn't look at and only see $$s.
He has things that he's knowledgeable on, and also things that he's bought for himself and not to resell. But he's also a vintage toy dealer who has to look out for all kinds of things to sell to a variety of people. Not just Batman toys or Star Wars toys. Go to any comic convention and see how many just sell Star Wars toys and nothing else.

Here's what I don't get though - in this day and age, the era of eBay, what on earth is anyone doing selling things this way and accepting "Hey, I know you're going to resell this and you've got to make a profit, so I'll cut 40% of the value to subsidize your life"?
Because they aren't interested in doing that, or don't know how to go about doing it, or don't want to go to the trouble of doing it. Most people who want to sell just want to get rid of the stuff, not go through all that effort.

Like last nights episode? "Hey, you're a scalper, so of course you're an expert on toy design! Here's a million dollars to go do what could take me ten seconds on Google learning." Jesus, the examples shown, to fit the narrative of the show, of course, were like four decade old toys? It's 2014, you want to make figures, and you don't look at McFarlane Toys or the latest from Hasbro, but pay some dude to go round up some loose Megos? Instead of... I don't know, going to Toys R Us or Wal-Mart for ten minutes?
Well to be fair, they get easy publicity from doing that. Plus the toys that he brought are considered some of the best toy lines ever created. Plus if you aren't into this sort of thing, going to TRU or WM won't make a lick of sense to you with all the different types of toys there are.

. What's this Jordan Hembrough's background like? A hasty Google really didn't turn up a whole lot. I'm assuming there's a reason he's got a show and the dime a dozen Scalper in a white van doesn't.
He was in charge of the Hollywood Heroes website and he sells toys in the biggest conventions in the country. The website also deals in high end toys. They have a lot of original molds that have popped up on there before.

Does he have any reputation whatsoever as a legitimate collector, not just a profiteering reseller, and of what? Because from what I've seen in 8-9 episodes, he makes a lot of mistakes on a lot of different things most folks of the nerd-persuasion would know instantly, much less someone making their living this way. Just like the "Dark-Seed" someone mentioned on page 1 that I've yet to see.
He's mainly a toy dealer. He basically knows a little about everything because it's his job to know about it. But he also isn't going to always be 100% accurate.
Old 03-20-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Jordan seems pretty knowledgeable in the toys that were around in his youth and possibly further back. Most real dealers work like that, they only pay around 50% of the going market rate for an item when someone walks in off the street and wants to sell their stuff. That is true in most collectible markets, though it doesn't really work like that for pricey stuff.

The rare stuff that Jordan bought could have easily been put up for auction when the stuff starts hitting 4 and 5 digits. When it is superdesirable items like pristine Star Wars figures, a seller is basically giving money away when they use someone like Jordan as anything but a broker on commission.

I did think the most recent episode was a stretch for the show. Those old toys are great for nostalgia but modern action figures are infinitely superior in design, with laser sculpts and perfect detailing.
Old 03-21-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really disagree about the idea that modern collectors want cloth outfits on their figures. The guy is planning a sports/superhero line. You'd want to show the muscles of the characters. Cloth won't do that. Also, most collectors hate action features built into figures. Probably the only example he needed to show is a Marvel Legends figure. Right size of 6", jointed in all the places needed for a sports related figure & are painted into superheo outfits.

Just like pretty much every other episodes this season, there is a gimmick of him buying for a 'famous' person.
Old 03-21-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

All I know is that old Batman utility belt that he found in England a couple of episodes ago was bad-ass. I would have died and gone to heaven for something like that when I was a kid.

I watch the show for the toys they find, a little bit of history on them, and nothing more. I find Jordan and his entourage a little annoying and some of the toy finding is obviously staged, but I suffer through it to see the cool toys. And enough with the celebrity bits. Gag.

I have no interest in buying any of them but watching the show does make me want to go to one of these toy conventions just to look around for fun.

I wasn't a big fan of He-Man when I was a kid but that Battlecat hobby horse was also extremely cool. Seeing stuff like that is the reason I watch the show.
Old 03-26-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I watch the show for the toys they find, a little bit of history on them, and nothing more. I find Jordan and his entourage a little annoying and some of the toy finding is obviously staged, but I suffer through it to see the cool toys. And enough with the celebrity bits. Gag.
Same here. It seems over the past couple seasons they want to inject more "reality TV" style episodes and to me that's just unappealing. I'm willing to bet some of these celebs already own the toys and it's all set up to "find them" and get a little face time for the celebs.
I'd like to see more ordinary people and their toy collections with Jordan digging and selling for his own business.

I was able to find the episodes and while I enjoy taking a trip down memory lane, I wish it was much more like the first season.
Old 04-21-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really dislike the Celebrity guests. Jordan is like a school girl with a crush. Constantly repeating over and over the celebrities name. It drives me insane. The Gene Simmons episode he repeated Gene's name thirty times. At the end,he always talks about important it is to have a "celebrity" client. I love the toys but Jordan makes me want to stop watching.
Old 04-22-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Is the 3rd season officially over now?

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 04-23-14 at 02:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.