Search this Thread

Old 11-04-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- "The Pony" -- 11/04/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Van Alden makes good on a debt; Billie looks to transition from stage to screen; Andrew Mellon mulls a proposal from Nucky.

Episode 8 of 12

Promo:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1283478"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 32: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1283478%26filter%3Dboardwalk-empire%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1283478" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 32: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1283478%26filter%3Dboardwalk-empire%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>
Old 11-04-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "The Pony" -- 11/04/12

No posts yet? Kind of a slower episode but it ended with a bang.
Old 11-04-12, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

That scene with Van Alden practicing his sales pitch with the office clown was intense. As soon as the iron made that first puff of steam, I knew what it was building to but the payoff was still amazing.
Old 11-04-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

van aldens wife is awesome. I loved his lines when he was talking about leaving and how they could go anywhere, except new york, new jersey and....illinois. obviously.

rosetti doesn't mess around.
Old 11-04-12, 11:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I am loving Cromwell as Andrew Mellon. His scene with Nucky was great.

Poor Billie.

Torrio looks like he's semi-retired so we should see Capone star start to rise soon.
Old 11-05-12, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

My wife and I remarked to each other when the iron steamed, we knew Val Alden would do something.

The thing with Billie was unexpected. Looks like ol' George Baxter saved their asses.
Old 11-05-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I am loving Cromwell as Andrew Mellon. His scene with Nucky was great.

Poor Billie.

Torrio looks like he's semi-retired so we should see Capone star start to rise soon.
I agree. Him talking about going on vacation, and then telling the guy to talk to Al, etc.
Old 11-05-12, 12:31 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

In real life, Torrio
Spoiler:
does retire and give Chicago to Capone

but not before

Spoiler:
a bloody war with O'Banion that results in O'Banion being killed and Torrio nearly being killed.

(If you're not familiar with the history of the Chicago mobs and want to be surprised by the show, don't click those spoilers).
Old 11-05-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
van aldens wife is awesome. I loved his lines when he was talking about leaving and how they could go anywhere, except new york, new jersey and....illinois. obviously.

rosetti doesn't mess around.
Love Van Alden's wife because she's so different from the usual spouses on these shows. They're annoying as hell and bitch and moan about what their husbands do but stay to reap the benefits. She on the other hand flees with a man from the Feds, helps kill another Fed, and figures a way for them to make money. No matter what he does she's always cool and collected and never blames him for anything. I thinks she's what the rappers call a "down ass bitch."
Old 11-05-12, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

That look on Van Alden's face while he was laying awake listening to the still dripping...priceless.
Old 11-05-12, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was great.

Poor Billie. She was a heck of a lot more interesting than Margeret.
Old 11-05-12, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I was expecting this to be more like the Seinfeld episode.
Old 11-05-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought Billie was going to get shot, any time someone says "you go ahead I'll catch up" you know they are a goner... bud didn't expect an explosion!!

That was a surprise.. if only Margret was going to dinner with Nucky
Old 11-05-12, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF
In real life, Torrio
Spoiler:
does retire and give Chicago to Capone

but not before

Spoiler:
a bloody war with O'Banion that results in O'Banion being killed and Torrio nearly being killed.

(If you're not familiar with the history of the Chicago mobs and want to be surprised by the show, don't click those spoilers).
Spoiler:
This all took place in 1925. Torrio served a year in prison for bootlegging and then retired to Italy. Coming back in 1930 to testify in the Capone trial.
Old 11-05-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm kind of hoping with Billie getting taken out in the explosion, that nucky calls upon richard to deal with rosseti. He hasn't had much use for him, but I think he knows his skill set.
Old 11-05-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^ I would really like to see that happen.
Old 11-05-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm kind of hoping with Billie getting taken out in the explosion, that nucky calls upon richard to deal with rosseti. He hasn't had much use for him, but I think he knows his skill set.
I think they are clearly having the characters take sides. Jimmy's mom (who's name I can never remember) is going after Nucky, and pissed Richard off in the process. I don't think he was pleased that Jimmy's legacy will now be he died an addict. Now that she's on Rosetti's side, I could easily see Richard going with Nucky. Richard has already expressed he is okay with the way Jimmy died - as a soldier, but a soldier who lost.
Old 11-06-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dalbowski
That was great.

Poor Billie. She was a heck of a lot more interesting than Margeret.
I was constantly amused to no end with Billie. She (the actress/character/whoever) oozed charm, and I loved her from her very first scene. If Nucky feels half of what I felt towards her, he's going to grieve a great deal, and lust for vengeance even more.

Funny how everyone around here is calling George "Van Alden?" Who is this Van Alden person? It's like Billie calling Nucky "Gus?" I think his name is George now, although even the wife knows "George" can't be right, so she resorts to calling him "Husband" just so he knows she ain't dumb in the slightest.

Seems Al Capone is weary of ol George, more so than he is of O'Banion.

I wonder if there was a real incident of a restaurant on the Boardwalk exploding in 1923 (or anytime). Seems like a somewhat risky move, not knowing what time Nucky is going to dine there with Rothstein, et al. Usually gangsters just go in blazing pistolieers (sp?), much like they gunned down Joe The Boss, much like they gunned down the Dutchman.

I feel sorry for Owen, although he's no saint. I like him, like his face. But I know that he's heading for a fall with Margaret (dare I say Maggie? Nah!) He's going to start falling in love with her, which is dangerous enough, but if she falls in love with him...even worse! Because even if Nucky doesn't feel much for Margaret anymore, he'd be damned if someone within his employ will have her! If anybody falls in love, Owen will have no choice but to try and take out Nucky, and you know that won't end well for him (historically speaking).
Old 11-06-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
That scene with Van Alden practicing his sales pitch with the office clown was intense. As soon as the iron made that first puff of steam, I knew what it was building to but the payoff was still amazing.
Yep. It was only a matter of time until he went postal.
Old 11-06-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I think they are clearly having the characters take sides. Jimmy's mom (who's name I can never remember) is going after Nucky, and pissed Richard off in the process. I don't think he was pleased that Jimmy's legacy will now be he died an addict. Now that she's on Rosetti's side, I could easily see Richard going with Nucky. Richard has already expressed he is okay with the way Jimmy died - as a soldier, but a soldier who lost.
Richard loved Jimmy and is now taking care of his son. Him being able to come to terms with Jimmy getting killed is one thing. Going to work for for the person who killed him is another. Not to mention Gillian wouldn't stand for it and would likely cut him off from her grandson. I can understand the writers wanting to get Richard back in the game. But If they did that it would be out of Character for him.
Old 11-06-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Richard loved Jimmy and is now taking care of his son. Him being able to come to terms with Jimmy getting killed is one thing. Going to work for for the person who killed him is another. Not to mention Gillian wouldn't stand for it and would likely cut him off from her grandson. I can understand the writers wanting to get Richard back in the game. But If they did that it would be out of Character for him.
If it was "out of character" for him, why didn't he kill Eli and Nucky and Owen already? Out of respect for "the game?" Or the pretend-war they're deluding themselves into believing they're in? Is Richard merely biding his time, and if so, what for? He was already going to kill himself once, and you're telling me he's going to be content to play nursemaid to Jimmy's kid? Jimmy was the only reason he had for living, and now that's gone, and nothing is going to replace that. He not only lost Jimmy, but he lost Jimmy's wife, who he pined for in his heart (enough to go after her murderer).
Old 11-06-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
If it was "out of character" for him, why didn't he kill Eli and Nucky and Owen already? Out of respect for "the game?" Or the pretend-war they're deluding themselves into believing they're in? Is Richard merely biding his time, and if so, what for? He was already going to kill himself once, and you're telling me he's going to be content to play nursemaid to Jimmy's kid? Jimmy was the only reason he had for living, and now that's gone, and nothing is going to replace that. He not only lost Jimmy, but he lost Jimmy's wife, who he pined for in his heart (enough to go after her murderer).
Good points.

Note also that Gillian's grandson's fate is still up in the air? I don't recall that being resolved this episode, but the idea of him being raised in a whore house not being a great environment was brought up. Gillian may not end up having the power to keep Richard from him. It will be interesting to see what he does. I think we can all agree they aren't keeping the character around just so he can hook up with that drunkard veteran's daughter.

This is really becoming an excellent show. I was down on it after season 1, but it has been consistently great and the characterizations and dialogue are excellent.
Old 11-06-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Richard has a bond with Jimmy's son, hes the closest thing to a real parent that boy has. He probably sees taking care of him as the best thing he could do to honor Jimmy and Angela. He also seems to be coming out of his shell somewhat. He has made some sort of connection with that veterans daughter and it looks like he wants to reconnect with his sister. I wouldn't say he has nothing to live for. Hes in a different place than he was then.

As for Nucky I think Richard was being honest when he told him his reasons for not killing him. Jimmy tried to kill Nucky. He went after him and lost. Jimmy knew the consequences if his plan failed, he was a big boy. Plus Nucky was always good to Richard and for awhile he protected him and his family. I'm also pretty sure Richard was against Jimmy killing Nucky from the beginning.
Old 11-06-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm also pretty sure Richard was against Jimmy killing Nucky from the beginning.
Even Jimmy was against Jimmy killing Nucky.
Old 11-06-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No one can accuse Rossetti of subtly, that's for sure. Geez, you'd think two guns and a couple guns would be sufficient. Also, didn't Gillian tell him that information sometime in the afternoon? That's a quick turnaround to plant a huge amount of explosives. It was overkill, but, hey, this show has needed a jolt for a couple weeks.

Cromwell is so fantastic as Mellon. "Our intercourse has concluded". I hope we see more of him, even if Nucky won't.

Owen is so going to die this season. Possibly by Eli? I get the feeling Eli is being groomed to get back in Nucky's favor and be his right hand man again.

I love that when Van Alden goes nuts, he really goes nuts. Everyone trembling in fear at the window was hilarious. Like watching a bull in a china shop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.