Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Dexter -- "Swim Deep" -- 10/28/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Dexter discovers that Hannah McKay is hiding a dark secret.

Episode 5 of 12
Old 10-28-12, 08:59 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Dexter -- "Swim Deep" -- 10/28/12

I'm so uneasy watching this season. I feel like anything could happen to anyone. Which really is props to the writers considering I know there will be one more season.
Old 10-28-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow, what an episode. Lots going on every which way.

I don't think we've seen the last of Isaak.
Old 10-28-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

"So we're looking for the fucking Terminator..."

Damn this season is getting intense. WTF is Dexter doing going to the jail and admitting he killed someone on the tapes? That's ridiculously stupid.

Last edited by Deftones; 10-28-12 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The scene in the bar with Stevenson reminded me of his arena fight scene in Rome. He's so badass I actually hope he doesn't end up on Dexter's table.
Old 10-29-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I agree that this season has been very tense so far. I haven't felt this way watching the show since season two where Dexter was under constant scrutiny with Doakes watching his every move and Lundy working the Bay Harbor Butcher case. I'm really happy with the way the show has been turning out thus far this season. It seems like the writers really got their act together and worked hard at crafting a great season.

Anyways great episode tonight. I also don't think we've seen the last of Isaak either. I was kind of wondering about Dexter going to visit him myself and letting it out that he killed Victor. It seemed a bit careless to me as you'd think there'd be a chance that someone who knows him may see him visiting and wonder what he'd want to talk with him about and the conversation may be recorded so if it's gone back to it could come back to him. I also am curious where the Hannah story is going. It seems like she could go either way of being just another love interest or being a possible threat to Dexter.

I also think that somehow LaGuerta is going to have to end up on Dexter's table by the end of the season. Eventually something will come out that ties Dexter to being the Bay Harbor Butcher, whether she finds out that one of the pictures showing Dexter in it went mysteriously missing or something. I just see her out of the picture soon.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-29-12 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones

Damn this season is getting intense. WTF is Dexter doing going to the jail and admitting he killed someone on the tapes? That's ridiculously stupid.
Those have got to be recorded. Man, for how good this season is Dexter is really doing some stupid things that would get a normal person caught.

Really diggin' Yvonne's character. She seems like she would be a perfect match with Dexter (sort of like Lumen, but stronger).
Old 10-29-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm enjoying the season so far but I don't really see much difference between this season and the last two seasons. There are too many one-dimensional characters and contrived plot points.
Old 10-29-12, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I'm enjoying the season so far but I don't really see much difference between this season and the last two seasons. There are too many one-dimensional characters and contrived plot points.
Really?
Last season was terrible, every single thing was too convenient, made Dexter look like James Bond. They really stepped up in the writing department so far.
Old 10-29-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've really enjoyed the back and forth between dexter and Deborah. I never cared for her acting except for season 4 where I felt the whole cast was on fire. But she's delivering this season so far. I felt bad for her when she was forced to shut down Angel and the disgust he showed when he walked out of her office.
Old 10-29-12, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Wow.
Old 10-29-12, 03:03 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not sure if it's the writing as much as the casting for last season. Colin Hanks is a probably a very nice guy in real life, but he just didn't bring it to the part.

Give me John Lithgow (love him, even when he's a psycho) any day of the week.
Old 10-29-12, 03:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Isaak's been a great addition to this season. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of him.
Old 10-29-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by tsohg
I've really enjoyed the back and forth between dexter and Deborah. I never cared for her acting except for season 4 where I felt the whole cast was on fire. But she's delivering this season so far. I felt bad for her when she was forced to shut down Angel and the disgust he showed when he walked out of her office.
Yeah, she's been basically calling him out on his bullshit for the past few episodes and I love it. You can see Dexter start to squirm a bit when she points out the flaws in his reasons.

Originally Posted by cleveburgh
I'm not sure if it's the writing as much as the casting for last season. Colin Hanks is a probably a very nice guy in real life, but he just didn't bring it to the part.
He put me to sleep whenever he came on to the screen last year. Much better casting with Ray Stevenson this year. It's nice to have someone smart (and somewhat insane) as a Dexter advesary this year. He even has own little tool set like Dexter.

And the writing was pretty poor as they couldn't really find that many interesting plots for any of the other characters. Now this year, they have more than enough for all the characters.

If Laguerta ends up on the table this year, that's probably another "innocent" that Dexter has killed, right? Like Doakes, she hasn't done anything wrong, it's more or less Dexter wanting to avoid getting caught that leads him to kill.
Old 10-29-12, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
If Laguerta ends up on the table this year, that's probably another "innocent" that Dexter has killed, right? Like Doakes, she hasn't done anything wrong, it's more or less Dexter wanting to avoid getting caught that leads him to kill.
But Dexter never killed Doakes. They made absolutely sure to keep his hands clean of that, and I doubt they would actually have him murder Laguerta.
Old 10-29-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
But Dexter never killed Doakes. They made absolutely sure to keep his hands clean of that, and I doubt they would actually have him murder Laguerta.
Oops, my mistake. Yeah, I forgot that Lila actually killed him. To be honest, it seems that Deb would actually be the one with a decision to make since she's keeping tabs on the investigation that Lageurta is running. And she's already helped Dexter destroy evidence in last night's ep.

Dexter's busy in dealing with Viktor and Hannah anyway.
Old 10-29-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Really intense episode. Isaak is one badass Mo Fo. He's a good adversary to Dexter this season.

Noone has really mentioned it, but I think this is some of Jennifer Carpenter's best work on the show. Deb can be a little over the top at times, especially with all the incessant cursing, but Carpenter has really done a great job showing the conflicting emotions Deb is going through covering for Dexter.

And yes, I really like Yvonne as Hannah. I like how she's being this tease to Dexter. They seem like a good match.
Old 10-29-12, 04:48 PM
Cool New Member

[QUOTE=sleepyhead55;11446765

He put me to sleep whenever he came on to the screen last year. Much better casting with Ray Stevenson this year. It's nice to have someone smart (and somewhat insane) as a Dexter advesary this year. He even has own little tool set like Dexter.

And the writing was pretty poor as they couldn't really find that many interesting plots for any of the other characters. Now this year, they have more than enough for all the characters.

.[/QUOTE]

I'm really liking Ray Stevenson this season. He has a kind of internal combustion dynamic that energizes his scenes. Plus he kinda/sorta looks like a pumped-up George Clooney - my secret crush.
Old 10-29-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Really diggin' Yvonne's character. She seems like she would be a perfect match with Dexter (sort of like Lumen, but stronger).
Not to mention much hotter as well.
Old 10-29-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

This season just isn't doing it for me

The whole "Deb's dilemma" is just a big meh, imo. And the mob angle seems like it was lifted from a bad cop 1980s cop show.
The show is losing any tangible shred of believability and suspense (even for a series about a serial killer who works for the police).

Perhaps the final half of the season will bring it around for me...
Old 10-30-12, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It started really strong for me, maybe the best season since... I don't know Trinity?

But this episode closed on several things, and I don't like that Deb it's just like "fuck it, you do your thing, I will feel guilty and try to cover my ass (our assess), and everything continues the same for you. Except that I know now."

So I'm anticipating that the rest of the season it's going to suck.
Old 10-30-12, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raul3
But this episode closed on several things, and I don't like that Deb it's just like "fuck it, you do your thing, I will feel guilty and try to cover my ass (our assess), and everything continues the same for you. Except that I know now."
What in the flippity fuck else choice does she have?
Old 10-30-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Not to mention much hotter as well.
This.
Old 10-30-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones

That and him returning to the crime scene at the bar were both really dumb moves. If everything went according to his plan, any survivor at the bar would have immediately recognized him.
Old 10-30-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
It started really strong for me, maybe the best season since... I don't know Trinity?

So I'm anticipating that the rest of the season it's going to suck.
What did you think Deb SHOULD have done?

I'm loving the season so far. The misdirection has been great. First I thought Louis was going to be the big bad, then Isaak, and now it looks like they're moving on to Hannah who is starting to look like a hybrid of Lumen and Lila. Props to Yvonne - she played the innocent victim bit pretty well - I did not see her character's change in direction coming. I think the writers are saving up Isaak for Season 8 - he'd make a worthy final opponent for Dexter.

Last edited by hahn; 10-30-12 at 01:41 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.