DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Homeland -- "New Car Smell" -- 10/21/12 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/605827-homeland-new-car-smell-10-21-12-a.html)

zuffy 10-23-12 09:08 PM

Re: Homeland -- "New Car Smell" -- 10/21/12

That was quick. I figured Brody would at least kill his handicapped friend first before the CIA would get to him. Very interesting season so far. Maybe season 3 would be about the mole after Brody is dead or locked up.

Bill Needle 10-23-12 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by MikahC (Post 11437833)
Let's not make Brody into a supervillian. We get no definitive confirmation that he read Carrie's eyes. But even if he did that isn't the point. Carrie went off the reservation.

True that. Brody is a trained marine, not 007 super-spy. He has no secret double agent master training. He's just a guy who has been brainwashed. It actually kind of bugs me when he is portrayed as some master deceiver and reader of people because there is no particular reason he should be.

Originally Posted by MikahC (Post 11437833)
I don't think I previously mentioned one of my favorite smile moments of the episode...

PETER: Jesus, how many times you got to tell her something?
SAUL: A lot.

Got a chuckle there as well.

RocShemp 10-23-12 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11438263)
I'd rather not have the family at all. Brody's wife is annoying, the kids are superfluous. Still don't get why Brody is incapable of having sex with his wife. I find that completely unbelievable.

He's not incapable at all. Look at the first episode when they had sex. He sees her as a wet hole and doesn't give two shits about her beyond that. He's basically putting up with her when he fucks her. Hence the masturbation scene. It's no different for him to rub one out than fuck his wife.

With Carrie, on the other hand, he gets an emotional release along with the physical one. It's part of the twisted bond between Carrie and Brody.

msdmoney 10-23-12 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 11436304)
Any other show would have done at least two or three episodes of surveillance. Not this one. Holy shit.

Agreed, I had fully settled in to expecting a few weeks of surveillance, with near misses and close calls, and this show completely foreshadowed that and then proceeded to shatter those expectations beautifully. You knew Carrie was going up to the room, but I had no idea that was coming. Now I am just guessing as to where they are going to take this.

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 11437987)
On a side note: I like the secondary story with Brody's daughter. I think she's a solid actress (acts and sounds like a real teen) and I suspect her storyline will dovetail into the main arc...

While the daughter storyline doesn't live up to the intensity of her father's current storyline, I agree that they wouldn't waste time unless it was going to tie back in somehow.

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11438263)
I'd rather not have the family at all. Brody's wife is annoying, the kids are superfluous. Still don't get why Brody is incapable of having sex with his wife. I find that completely unbelievable.)

Everybody seems to hate the wives in these shows (like Skyler in breaking bad) as if they are just an obstacle to the main character doing whatever they want. They need to ground these characters somehow, and the family life brings Brody back to something real so it doesn't pull too far away into the absurd.

CRM114 10-24-12 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11439190)
He's not incapable at all. Look at the first episode when they had sex. He sees her as a wet hole and doesn't give two shits about her beyond that. He's basically putting up with her when he fucks her. Hence the masturbation scene. It's no different for him to rub one out than fuck his wife.

But why? She totally hot, I'm assuming they were in love before he was taken hostage. Or is there some back story they neglected to pass on?

Draven 10-24-12 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11439603)
But why? She totally hot, I'm assuming they were in love before he was taken hostage. Or is there some back story they neglected to pass on?

Separated by 8 years. Fucked up from torture and brainwashing. The baggage with Mike. Easier to make a connection with the fun new person than the "old" person with the kids and the responsibility and all that.

Lots of reasons.

RocShemp 10-24-12 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11439603)

Just because she's hot and fuckable doesn't mean he loves her. At least not any more. I'm sure we'll eventually find out (perhaps this Sunday) that part of his breaking was making him resent his wife in some subconcious way. He clearly just puts up with her.

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 11439664)
Separated by 8 years. Fucked up from torture and brainwashing. The baggage with Mike. Easier to make a connection with the fun new person than the "old" person with the kids and the responsibility and all that.

Lots of reasons.

Pretty much the reasons you listed. :up:

Groucho 10-24-12 11:12 AM

Brody explicitly stated in Season 1 how difficult it is to connect with somebody who hasn't been over to the Middle East, a common bond between he and Carrie.

CRM114 10-25-12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11439697)
Just because she's hot and fuckable doesn't mean he loves her. At least not any more. I'm sure we'll eventually find out (perhaps this Sunday) that part of his breaking was making him resent his wife in some subconcious way. He clearly just puts up with her.

Pretty much the reasons you listed. :up:

That's fine. But that's my point. None of that was intimated at all. I'm not about to draw those broad conclusions on my own without some sort of back story. If indeed he was conditioned to despise her, that would be good to know.

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11439780)
Brody explicitly stated in Season 1 how difficult it is to connect with somebody who hasn't been over to the Middle East, a common bond between he and Carrie.

Sorry, I cannot make that connection. Oh well, I'll move on.