Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Supernatural -- "Heartache" -- 10/17/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) investigate a string of unusual murders where the victims were all recipients of organs from the same donor. The killer is captured, but things become even more complicated when the brothers find their killer in a trance mumbling an ancient prayer. Jensen Ackles directed the episode written by Brad Buckner & Eugenie Ross-Leming (#801).

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w4zZLVOLlDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ratings were up last week with the help of Arrow.
Old 10-19-12, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Supernatural -- "Heartache" -- 10/17/12

Wow, not one reply in here? FWIW, this episode was pretty bad...
Old 10-19-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just so damn boring. We've seen this "tension between the brothers, with one hiding a terrible secret" bit how many times?

And they've killed/removed all of the good supporting characters (Bobby/Castiel).

It's just totally unremarkable now.
Old 10-19-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't believe there's only 2 comments. It wasn't that bad... more of a going back to the monster of the week. I actually prefer that format to last season's fiasco.

Not sure how the prophet is going to play out, but anything will be an improvement over the leviathan storyline.
Old 10-19-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

It's still good but they really do need to the end whole brothers side story shit....it's distracting and unnecessary (unless they are planning on ending this series soon or something).

The biggest problem now is just with this show being so jarring from episode to episode (just like the last 2 or 3 seasons) I mean you go from the prophet to the auction to a heart stealing weirdo....normally this would be ok if they were somehow all tied together but they're not...you will never see or hear anything from this episode again.

I guess the show just lacks direction as it's so disjointed but again....I still enjoy watching.
Old 10-19-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I watched the last 2 episodes, including this one, last night.

I kind of like that it's gone back to the monster of the week format. With this one being the organs causing those patients to be psychopathic killers. Some of the kills were pretty violent.

Yeah I know most of the people in this forum hate that format and want a focused serialized arc. But, what's wrong with Sam and Dean driving all over the U.S. kicking ass and killing crazy new monsters every week? I thought the format was fine in season 1 and 2 before they got so deep into the Angels and Demons thing.

The only thing I didn't care for was Sam wanting the normal life. We've seen that before. Didn't Dean want the normal life thing and look how that ended.
Old 10-19-12, 01:18 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i didn't mind this episode but the main story arc is looking pretty weak. They need to bring in new characters for the brothers to play off
Old 10-19-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I kind of like that it's gone back to the monster of the week format. With this one being the organs causing those patients to be psychopathic killers. Some of the kills were pretty violent.

Yeah I know most of the people in this forum hate that format and want a focused serialized arc. But, what's wrong with Sam and Dean driving all over the U.S. kicking ass and killing crazy new monsters every week?
This is EXACTLY what I want it to be but they never stick to it...hell give me a new monster of the week up to an dincluding the finale and will be happy as can be bu they won't...we;ll get some side stuff with Cas, Sam and his dog, hell it wouldn't surprise me if Bobby came back.
Old 10-20-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Anyone notice Jenson Ackles directed this episode? I thought it was one of the better monster-of-the-week episodes in a long time, much better than anything last season. They have seemed to drop everything that was bad about last season, though this storyline with Sam wanting a different life feels like it had been done before.
Old 10-20-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone notice Jenson Ackles directed this episode? I thought it was one of the better monster-of-the-week episodes in a long time, much better than anything last season. They have seemed to drop everything that was bad about last season, though this storyline with Sam wanting a different life feels like it had been done before.

Yeah, and his dad played the condescending cop at the beginning of the episode.
Old 10-20-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How I feel about this show must be how long time fans of the X-Files felt about it in its later years. The episodes aren't bad but the show is just tired now and they'll never be able to out do season 5.
Old 10-20-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
How I feel about this show must be how long time fans of the X-Files felt about it in its later years. The episodes aren't bad but the show is just tired now and they'll never be able to out do season 5.
That is basically correct, though X-Files lost it because the main star did not want to act on a yearly show anymore and would only commit to like three appearances a year.
Old 10-20-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

That is basically correct, though X-Files lost it because the main star did not want to act on a yearly show anymore and would only commit to like three appearances a year.
Yeah, the attempt to transform "The X-Files" from being essentially one man's quest for the truth into other people doing it in his stead was doomed from the start. It would be like "Supernatural" all of a sudden dropping Sam and Dean and then switching over to following a couple of their long-lost cousins as hunters.
Old 10-20-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone notice Jenson Ackles directed this episode? I thought it was one of the better monster-of-the-week episodes in a long time, much better than anything last season.
I liked this episode, even though the ending seemed a bit rushed. It felt a lot like an early season episode to me, much more concerned with that week's story without much of anything for the season-long arc. (I preferred the show back when it was a lot more episodic than serialized.)
Old 10-20-12, 09:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But, what's wrong with Sam and Dean driving all over the U.S. kicking ass and killing crazy new monsters every week? I thought the format was fine in season 1 and 2 before they got so deep into the Angels and Demons thing.
Season one was a snoozefest. Season two was a big improvement precisely because they began to add in serialized elements. I don't mind a monster of the week episode every so often (and would really kill for another Ben Edlund comedy of the week episode), but if they did it every week the show would be even worse off than it is now.
Old 10-20-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show has always been serialized a bit with a season-long arc since the beginning (the 1st season's arc was the search for their father), but the episodes tended to mainly be standalone with only a little bit of time here and there for the season arc, up until the last few episodes of the season which were all arc.

It wasn't until later (in either the 3rd or 4th season, I think) that the season arcs basically took over the show a lot more and the standalone episodes seemed to be fewer and farther between. That was OK when a season's arc was good, but last season had such a lousy arc that I think a return to more standalone episodes with little or no time for the season's arc can only be an improvement for the show now.
Old 10-22-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't mind stand alone episodes, if they are good episodes. This week's episode was really really terrible, even by Supernatural standards.
Old 10-22-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I know most of the people in this forum hate that format and want a focused serialized arc. But, what's wrong with Sam and Dean driving all over the U.S. kicking ass and killing crazy new monsters every week? I thought the format was fine in season 1 and 2 before they got so deep into the Angels and Demons thing.

The only thing I didn't care for was Sam wanting the normal life. We've seen that before. Didn't Dean want the normal life thing and look how that ended.

I wish they would reset and go back to it.

Have a season long arc of going after some bad vamp or something but I am not just not a fan of the angels and demons stuff.

I just want to see two brothers, side by side, kill monsters with classic rock playing.
Old 10-22-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I prefer the more standalone episodes with a pinch of arc thrown in at the end. The show I love is from the first and second seasons. Now I am invested in the characters so I am in until the end, but if I am completely honest if I just started the show in the past 2 seasons with the heavily serialized arc I don’t know if I would have stayed with it. For comparisons sake, I also thought season 1 of Angel was the best as well. I also love the comedy episodes like Honey Boo Boo's mom likes cake.
Old 10-24-12, 11:09 AM

Just listened to Jensen on the Girl on Guy podcast. He seems like a really nice guy and grateful for the show. I guess the bored, not wanting to be there vibe this season is "acting" or maybe it was acting on the podcast. Who knows? either way I like him better now.