Old 10-17-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Arrow -- "Honor Thy Father" -- 10/17/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
KELLY HU (X-MEN 2) GUEST STARS AS DC COMICS VILLAIN CHINA WHITE

Oliver (Stephen Amell) heads to the courthouse to get his death certificate repealed and is pleasantly surprised to run into Laurel (Katie Cassidy), who is there prosecuting Martin Somers (guest star Ty Olsson), a criminal with ties to the Chinese Triad. Oliver recognizes Martin's name from his father's book and sets his sights on taking him down. Martin orders the Triad to "take care of" Laurel so they send their top mercenary - China White (Hu) - after her, an act that culminates in a battle between Arrow and China White. Meanwhile, Moira (Susanna Thompson) and Walter (guest star Colin Salmon) ask Oliver to take over the company. Colin Donnell, Willa Holland, David Ramsey and Paul Blackthorne also star. David Barrett directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Marc Guggenheim and written by Andrew Kreisberg & Marc Guggenheim (102).

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rfp760a8RgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-17-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Arrow -- "Honor Thy Father" -- 10/17/12

The all important episode that follows the debut. It did not disappoint.
Old 10-17-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loving the Series. Has some great sets, the Warf Gun/Arrow fight had a great set, looked like a real location.

Awesome in the Pilot the used "Grell" for the Judge.

Now CW needs to do a "WarLord" series.
Old 10-17-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am in. Second was just as good as first though Hu was a little goofy.

This series, so far, is everything Smallville should have been.
Old 10-17-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

Now HBOneeds to do a "WarLord" series.
Old 10-18-12, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was odd that Det. Lance didn't recognize that if Ollie hadn't been at his daughter's apartment that she would be dead. Rather than going off maybe he should just say thank you.
As to the wharf gun fight, it's hard to imagine that the bad guys are such a good shot that they always hit the railings instead of Arrow or missing altogether.
Does he ever bring Diggle in as his acomplice? Seems he could handle himself and provide decent back up.

Spoiler:
So next week we see how he got at least 1 of his scars?
Old 10-18-12, 11:06 AM

I have enjoyed the two episodes so far as well. I am not familar with green arrow other than an old comic with him and green lantern together but does the bodyguard come more into play with Oliver's "nighttime activities"? Just seems like there is always one other person that is brought in on the secret.
Old 10-18-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So was Smallville this soap opera-y? It feels like I'm watching Gossip Girl or something half of the show. I like it but it's moderately annoying on some of the drama. I guess I expected an action show first.
Old 10-18-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Arrow got a 1.3 last night and 3.5M viewers. Pretty safe to assume it will get a full season. It's the highest ratings for a CW show this season.
Old 10-18-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good news. I hope they continue with his willingness to kill the bad guys (at least the henchmen). I am afraid they will pussy out and start to make it clear that he is wounding only though. They will change the arrow placement and make awful exposition-ey dialouge referencing how he is injuring people. I really enjoy how dark (for the CW) it is and that as fantastical as a hero like this is, having the bad guys only be wounded is totally bull.
Old 10-18-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Arrows against trained guns looks retarded. As does the hood. They should have made it a bit more practical.
Old 10-18-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So was Smallville this soap opera-y? It feels like I'm watching Gossip Girl or something half of the show. I like it but it's moderately annoying on some of the drama. I guess I expected an action show first.
Smallville was pretty much all soap.
Old 10-18-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Loved it. Thought episode 2 was just as good as the Pilot. Arrow is a ruthless hero. He kills all the bad guys without a 2nd thought.

I dig the flashbacks. I think they add alot to Oliver's background. Plus, they have 5 years worth to possibly incorporate into this show.

I liked Kelly Hu as China White (not familiar with the comic character) But, the white wig did look a little goofy. Her martial arts fight scenes with Arrow were good and well chereographed. With her escaping, it looks like she could be a potential recurring villain.

Diggle was a badass in this episode. Loved when he took out all the thugs who broke into Laurel's place.

and finally Katie Cassidy is in a hit series. I'm cool with the brown haired look.

The ending with the flashback was pretty cool. Looks like Oliver may have met another Arrow.
Old 10-18-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Good news. I hope they continue with his willingness to kill the bad guys (at least the henchmen). I am afraid they will pussy out and start to make it clear that he is wounding only though. They will change the arrow placement and make awful exposition-ey dialouge referencing how he is injuring people. I really enjoy how dark (for the CW) it is and that as fantastical as a hero like this is, having the bad guys only be wounded is totally bull.
Comics always have a hard time with this, they either make them annoying goody goofy or the Punisher. Since he is human and these bad guys are a threat using whatever force is required makes sense.
Old 10-19-12, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Maybe what he needs is exploding arrows. He hits the bad guy and boom we see bits and pieces flying all over. Splattering those close by with blood and guts. Make it more of a guy show, a little edgier. Maybe push the envelope with some sex scenes as well. Build up that 18-24 audience to assure renewal.
Old 10-19-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Much better idea to have HBO do it...who do we write to or call to get it done.

Travis Morgan must LIVE!!!!
Old 10-19-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
Maybe what he needs is exploding arrows. He hits the bad guy and boom we see bits and pieces flying all over. Splattering those close by with blood and guts. Make it more of a guy show, a little edgier. Maybe push the envelope with some sex scenes as well. Build up that 18-24 audience to assure renewal.
Nah, don't need gore or graphic violence/sex at all. But an arrow to the leg or shoulder woudnt stop a real life thug from continuing on firing his gun necessarily. I hate when the good guy gets shot in the shoulder he just grits and moves on but for red shirt bad guy it apparently puts them into an immediate paralyzing coma. Kill the bad guy and be done with it. That doesnt mean blood, guts, or anything graphic, but don't make the audience wonder why isn't the bad guy still fighting or when is he going to show up again only to never show up.

Last edited by Unclejosh; 10-19-12 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-19-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in for the year with a season pass.
Old 10-19-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, so this is decent? I skipped out on it since I believed it would certainly be bad.

Any legal ways to catch up?
Old 10-19-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Damn, so this is decent? I skipped out on it since I believed it would certainly be bad.

Yes, it's good.

Hulu.com or CWTV.com

Only 2 episodes have aired, so they should both be there.
Old 10-19-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also should be up 'On Demand' services.
Old 10-19-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thelwig14
This series, so far, is everything Smallville should have been.
To be fair, Smallville didn't go completely off the rails until it's 4th or 5th season - they had some great episodes in the early years....so until Arrow gets that far along, I'm not ready to sing it's 'That's how they should have done it!' praises.

That said, I've really enjoyed the first two episodes. Way better than I thought it would be.
Old 10-20-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's a good show so far with potential, but the character on it hardly resembles the Green Arrow of DC Comics.

There is a report already the show's writer's bible forbids superpowers and other fantastic elements, which is not cool with me at all. That basically eliminates almost any decent guest appearance from a recognizable DC comics superhero. It's going to be so lame when Laurel becomes Black Canary and her 100-pound frame is regularly taking down heavily-armed thugs in hand-to-hand combat without a sonic scream. Almost as bad as seeing Kristin Kreuk take down three combatants in a street fight (from the horrible Beauty & the Beast).
Old 10-20-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
To be fair, Smallville didn't go completely off the rails until it's 4th or 5th season - they had some great episodes in the early years....so until Arrow gets that far along, I'm not ready to sing it's 'That's how they should have done it!' praises.

That said, I've really enjoyed the first two episodes. Way better than I thought it would be.

Completely disagree.

Lana and Pete were horribly miscast. She just killed any scene she was in.

Arrow, aside from the possibly iffy best friend, doesn't suffer from any of that so far.
Old 10-20-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by barelypure
I thought it was odd that Det. Lance didn't recognize that if Ollie hadn't been at his daughter's apartment that she would be dead. Rather than going off maybe he should just say thank you.
As to the wharf gun fight, it's hard to imagine that the bad guys are such a good shot that they always hit the railings instead of Arrow or missing altogether.
Does he ever bring Diggle in as his acomplice? Seems he could handle himself and provide decent back up.
It looks like they are headed in the direction of Diggle finding out. He already knows Oliver is hiding something .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.