TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park- "Going Native" (10/17/2012)

Old 10-17-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
South Park- "Going Native" (10/17/2012)

Episode 1611

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...frickin-expert
Synopsis: It is time for Butters to begin a journey where he will follow in the path of his Hawaiian ancestors.
Old 10-17-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: South Park- "Going Native" (10/17/2012)

As someone who's been to Kaua'i, that all pretty much rang true. I've been to all those places. Duke's was pretty good
Old 10-17-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

Amok Time?
Old 10-17-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great visual of watching Butters sink the cruise ship. As it sank, I was silently hoping it would crack down to the keel and go down like the Titanic.

"I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! *bloop*"
Old 10-18-12, 12:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a few years living in Hawaii also and this episode subject was a pretty easy target that was ripe for the picking.

Seeing the offspring of white military families and 2nd generation kids of transplants from the main land call themselves 'natives' was about as annoying as seeing all of the newcomer Filipino and Japanese immigrants who have moved to the islands call themselves natives.

But the idea of who has the right to call themselves native Hawaiian is pretty controversial anyway. You can't just assume someone who lives there is a native because they have Asian features. In the past 50 years the Japanese have been moving to Hawaii in droves driving up property values. Honolulu continues to be the 'Ellis Island' of the Pacific where the poor impoverished people scattered around the South Pacific in Fiji and Samoa move to for work.

I was told that natives of the islands actually originated from the South Pacific islands who had made their way there by boat. Portuguese explorers who found the islands in their travels also added to the genetic diversity (malasadas anyone?)

The 2nd and 3rd generation white families end up looking the most ridiculous claiming to be native, speaking the 'pidgin' dialect and adopting the culture as their own. But then so many people I assumed were white told me they were actually 'hapa' meaning half white and half asian (i.e. Keanu Reeves)

Two points that South Park got wrong. The predominant supermarket chain in the islands is Foodland, not Safeway and the rewards discount that island locals refer to is the 'Kamaaina' discount.

Not a particularly funny episode but it brought back lots of good memories!
Old 10-18-12, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I love that Butters anger was over Ben Affleck, and that he was finally able to let it go when he found out Affleck was with Jennifer Garner and not Lopez.
Old 10-18-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

This was fun for me since I just got back from Hawaii last week.
Old 10-18-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Two points that South Park got wrong. The predominant supermarket chain in the islands is Foodland, not Safeway and the rewards discount that island locals refer to is the 'Kamaaina' discount.
Certainly being familiar with Hawaii helps your appreciation of this episode, but I thought the major supermarket chain was KTA.

Also, it's easy to understand why they changed "Kamaaina" to "Mahalo". Far fewer people outside of Hawaii would know what "Kamaaina" means. The word basically means "local resident" and a lot of businesses offer Kamaaina discounts just for showing a Hawaiian driver's license.
Old 10-18-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Amok Time?
I had the same initial thought - Butters' pon faar.

But a nice rip on the timeshare fools what's considered native.
Old 10-18-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I think this would have been a funny episode if I had ever visited Hawaii, but I imagine most of the SP audience, like myself, hasn't been there to get the references. The only thing I found amusing was the tirade against Ben Affleck.
Old 10-18-12, 03:50 PM

Where were all the ABC stores? It's been 10 years since I was there, but I remember there were 3 to a block back in the day.

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
The 2nd and 3rd generation white families end up looking the most ridiculous claiming to be native, speaking the 'pidgin' dialect and adopting the culture as their own.
I totally disagree. When someone has lived their entire life and grown up with a certain culture, I'm not sure I would claim they are adopting that culture anymore. It's not a situation where some suburban white kids heard rap at age 13 and become hip-hop heads. It's what they have known their entire life. I think the comedy and hypocrisy comes from those who then make a huge stink over how others view themselves and how every group makes a huge deal over who is native and what that means. This goes to the heart of our "enlightened" view on racism and prejudice in that you can have pride in your historic ancestors and the culture that has been passed down through blood, but you are not tied to that culture simply due to your biological parents.
Old 10-18-12, 04:09 PM

I live on Oahu and found this episode to be hilarious and a nice piece of satire on some of the transplants here. This is especially true of the neighbor islands where there are hippie mainlanders who protest every little thing that may affect their "Hawaiian" way of life. At first I did wonder why their pronunciation of Hawaiian words was so bad. :-) I think they used Safeway to emphasize the non native companies that are prevalent on the islands, mainlanders might think Foodland was just a made up store. I don't know if I would have enjoyed this episode if I had no knowledge of Hawaii though.
Old 10-18-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovid View Post
Where were all the ABC stores? It's been 10 years since I was there, but I remember there were 3 to a block back in the day.
ABC stores target the tourist market and can be found all over the Waikiki area and at least one in Kona. I don't recall seeing one on Maui and I've never been to Kauai. Interestingly enough, you can find ABC stores in Las Vegas now too.