Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

I'm just now catching the episode from the 17th but feel like I'm missing an episode or something. What is this plague story coming from, I don't even remember the previously on scene where they show an infected person.
Old 06-23-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm just now catching the episode from the 17th but feel like I'm missing an episode or something. What is this plague story coming from, I don't even remember the previously on scene where they show an infected person.
It was literally the last minute of the episode prior. Some girl collapsed in front of them, and they talked about a plague.
Old 06-23-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks, I must have just stopped the last show too soon. Pretty good show this week, cool to see Datak's more evil side.
Old 06-24-13, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Datak and Stahma make the show, really. I'm still waiting for Stahma's end game with the mayor's sister. I refuse to believe Stahma is some wilting flower in need of love. She has a plan and I look forward to seeing it play out.
Old 06-24-13, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting for "Scthako" or however its spelled to become the new "Frak/Frell" of the internet.
Old 06-24-13, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I refuse to believe Stahma is some wilting flower in need of love.
Why would you believe that? She's just as evil as Datak, she's just unwilling to get her hands dirty. If he gets power/wealth she benefits, and if he falls she throws him under the bus as the fall guy.
Old 06-24-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Why would you believe that? She's just as evil as Datak, she's just unwilling to get her hands dirty. If he gets power/wealth she benefits, and if he falls she throws him under the bus as the fall guy.
I said that I refuse to believe she's some wilting flower. And, if anything, I think she's far more dangerous than Datak. Datak is kind of like Nolan, convinced that he's hot shit and willing to let his emotions get the better of him. But Stahma is patient and calculating. She's almost like a spider, spinning an intricate web of deceit and death. That's why I refuse to believe her romantic dalliance with Kenya is even remotely genuine. I'm guessing it's all about leverage against the mayor but feel there's an even larger game afoot with her.
Old 06-25-13, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We call her Lady MacBeth at our house. Everything she does has an ulterior motive.
Old 06-25-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Murder mystery and a white wedding. Kind of slow but I liked it.
Old 06-25-13, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder about the power dynamics of Datak and stahma . she is a higher caste, but he is a man. i am curious how that shakes out. is he then over her, as her husband, or does she retain some power in their relationship?

watching them discussing alak not getting married, i felt that if someone else spoke to him or put hands on him / questioned him that way, he would beat them. i was wondering why he didn't, as theirs is a patriarchal society. got me thinking if she retains something even though she is a woman, and why.

also did not relish seeing Alak in a diaper.
Old 06-25-13, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i wonder about the power dynamics of Datak and stahma . she is a higher caste, but he is a man. i am curious how that shakes out. is he then over her, as her husband, or does she retain some power in their relationship?
Obviously she has plenty of power, seeing as how Datak appears not to see her obvious and unsubtle manipulations for what they are.
Old 06-25-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Datak and Stahma make the show, really. I'm still waiting for Stahma's end game with the mayor's sister.
They are easily the most compelling characters on the show. I don't think many people are giving Defiance a chance but it keeps on trucking, week after week. I did not expect that sudden death, though this show has already proven they are willing to kill off prominent characters.
Old 06-25-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really enjoyed this episode. Nice callback to a previous standalone episode given a certain character reveal. And, yes, the death was unexpected. At least so soon.
Old 06-26-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre

watching them discussing alak not getting married, i felt that if someone else spoke to him or put hands on him / questioned him that way, he would beat them. i was wondering why he didn't, as theirs is a patriarchal society. got me thinking if she retains something even though she is a woman, and why.

also did not relish seeing Alak in a diaper.
It may be a patriarchal society, but I don't think you treat your wife the same way when she disagrees and puts hands on you as you do a stranger. It's not like he doesn't love her or respect her.

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Obviously she has plenty of power, seeing as how Datak appears not to see her obvious and unsubtle manipulations for what they are.
I said that I refuse to believe she's some wilting flower. And, if anything, I think she's far more dangerous than Datak. Datak is kind of like Nolan, convinced that he's hot shit and willing to let his emotions get the better of him. But Stahma is patient and calculating. She's almost like a spider, spinning an intricate web of deceit and death. That's why I refuse to believe her romantic dalliance with Kenya is even remotely genuine. I'm guessing it's all about leverage against the mayor but feel there's an even larger game afoot with her.
I think there may be more to the Kenya relationship, but it also may be just what it is. While she accepts that her husband sees other woman, we can see that it is still painful for her. She just enjoys having something for herself, as we have heard her say.

I think people are underestimating Datak in his relationship with his wife. People seem to think Stahma is some master manipulator, but I think they just work well as a balance. Datak knows he is prone to go off, and not think about his actions. I think he knows Stahma is a smart woman, and he takes her counsel in many situations because of that. Where some people are seeing manipulation, I see it as counseling. Datak is from a lower caste, and maybe is just simply not as adept at using options other than violence to get his way at this point.

I think he is fully aware just how cunning his wife is, and it's a trait he values in her. Remember, this was not an arranged marriage so he obviously was drawn to her, and I believe for more than just her looks.
Old 06-29-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I think there may be more to the Kenya relationship, but it also may be just what it is. While she accepts that her husband sees other woman, we can see that it is still painful for her. She just enjoys having something for herself, as we have heard her say.

I think people are underestimating Datak in his relationship with his wife. People seem to think Stahma is some master manipulator, but I think they just work well as a balance. Datak knows he is prone to go off, and not think about his actions. I think he knows Stahma is a smart woman, and he takes her counsel in many situations because of that. Where some people are seeing manipulation, I see it as counseling. Datak is from a lower caste, and maybe is just simply not as adept at using options other than violence to get his way at this point.

I think he is fully aware just how cunning his wife is, and it's a trait he values in her. Remember, this was not an arranged marriage so he obviously was drawn to her, and I believe for more than just her looks.
No. It seems she is indeed a master manipulator:

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=1_kbklt0xqp2y7zfm41mxg" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-01-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed this week's episode but I find it impossible to believe that Datak's son could be that clueless. I did love Stahma as she was quick to put the mayor's sister in her place. However, the mayor's sister is proving to be a huge idiot with the hollow "I'm gonna tell everyone about us" threat. If she had any intention of ratting Stahma out, she would have done so already.

Spoiler:
I think it's a safe bet who dies next week.
Old 07-01-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Stahma was cunning, but surprised I misread that situation so badly.

I can't imagine Datak's son being so dumb as to think putting a paintball between the mayor's eyes is a funny "prank." Really? It was also pretty ridiculous most people didn't see that as a valid reason to shoot the kid.
Old 07-01-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the kid was bad enough but the townspeople going off on Nolan was ridiculous.

Although I was mostly bothered by how the didn't think to have people guarding the rooftops during the debate. Then I realized that law enforcement in Defiance consists of 3 people and 2 of those are recent arrivals. How is Defiance not an even bigger cesspool?
Old 07-02-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I can't imagine Datak's son being so dumb as to think putting a paintball between the mayor's eyes is a funny "prank." Really? It was also pretty ridiculous most people didn't see that as a valid reason to shoot the kid.
I don't know, they've portrayed Datak's son as a pretty stupid, happy-go-lucky kind of guy.
Old 07-02-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't know, they've portrayed Datak's son as a pretty stupid, happy-go-lucky kind of guy.
I recall the first episode or so when he pulled the blade on the soon to be dead brother of his fiance/wife.

I just can't imagine anyone being that naive.

Still, I'm looking forward to the season finale. I dig the mystery of what's going on with Irisa's condition.
Old 07-02-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A paint ball can put a eye out.
Old 07-02-13, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
A paint ball can put a eye out.
just as mercilessly as a red ryder BB gun.
Old 07-03-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I recall the first episode or so when he pulled the blade on the soon to be dead brother of his fiance/wife.

I just can't imagine anyone being that naive.
Datak's son, as seen in the pilot, is practically a different character. And not just because of the change in his grooming. In the pilot he acted like a 5th generation mafia heir. You know, the sort that act like everything belongs to them and their shit never, ever stinks. But from about the second episode onward he's devolved more and more into a bumbling, clueless, whiny pussy.
Old 07-03-13, 05:16 PM

Every time I see him, I can't help but think of Lorne's (from Angel) relative doing the happy dance.
Old 07-03-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

But from about the second episode onward he's devolved more and more into a bumbling, clueless, whiny pussy.
Getting engaged can do that to a man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.