Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- Season Premiere -- "Seed" -- 10/14/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Season Premiere -- "Seed" -- 10/14/12

I'm still confused...I thought you just become a zombie when you die due to an infection that everyone has. Does a bite from a zombie or contact with their blood cause you to turn into a zombie? Did Rick do the amputation because Hershal was gonna die from loss of blood or because he thought the bite itself would turn him? And how did the prison guards get turned? Wouldn't they have had to die first?
Old 10-14-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pelenor
Besides, I'm not getting the whole "My son and husband hate me" with Lori. I'm guessing it's something that happened that we haven't seen yet. [/spoiler]
Spoiler:
I'm sure the cold shoulder she gave Rick when he told her about killing Shane lasted a while, and it made quite the impression on him. And add to that the whole unresolved "whose baby is it?" issue. Carl is probably just following dad's lead.
Old 10-14-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Yeah, I know the show can go its own route, but I can't wait to see if they "go there" with some of the events from the comic--with regard to the prison and the Governor.
It's kind of a weird feeling for those of us who are familiar with the comic book, to have things like Michonne, the Governor, and Woodbury show up, and know what it means and where it's leading, but still with the knowledge that the tv series isn't completely beholden to the comic book.

Sort of a will they go there, or will they take it somewhere else?
Old 10-14-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Did Rick do the amputation because Hershal was gonna die from loss of blood or because he thought the bite itself would turn him?
Or maybe just to avoid the nasty infection of a bite. Amputation by hatchet isn't very sterile either though...
Old 10-14-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still confused...I thought you just become a zombie when you die due to an infection that everyone has. Does a bite from a zombie or contact with their blood cause you to turn into a zombie? Did Rick do the amputation because Hershal was gonna die from loss of blood or because he thought the bite itself would turn him? And how did the prison guards get turned? Wouldn't they have had to die first?
Spoiler:
A zombie bite/scratch will eventually cause you to die faster. Rick told everyone that they are all already infected. Rick did the amputation to stop Hershal from dying quickly because of the zombie bite. The riot qear that the prison guards use do not cover every single part of the body. The idea is that several were probably scratched or bitten during their attempts to control the situation. The rest presumably died of starvation
The beauty of the Walking Dead is that it isn't required to tell you how this started and how the people died.
Old 10-14-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really hoping that a fixture of TWD is the flashbacks. I want to see some from the "Rise of the Governor" book. Plus I think it adds to the story of some of the cast. The flashback of Shane and Lori near Atlanta was nicely done.
Old 10-15-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
Or maybe just to avoid the nasty infection of a bite. Amputation by hatchet isn't very sterile either though...
This was addressed on Talking Dead. Apparently that hatchet is from a "medical kit" Hershel compiled and had on him.
Old 10-15-12, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gas mask gag was fantastic!

Did it bother anyone else that they have the worst blank guns ever? No slide action, shitty cgi muzzle flashes? Everything else was top notch.
Old 10-15-12, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
I'm really hoping that a fixture of TWD is the flashbacks. I want to see some from the "Rise of the Governor" book. Plus I think it adds to the story of some of the cast. The flashback of Shane and Lori near Atlanta was nicely done.
It's a shame we never saw that Fall of Atlanta prequel that had been discussed.
Old 10-15-12, 12:15 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Well, that was the best hour of TV I've seen in a long time.
Old 10-15-12, 12:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Too much zombie action, not enough standing around and talking.
Old 10-15-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew somebody would complain eventually.
Old 10-15-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Too much zombie action, not enough standing around and talking.
+1

This was the best episode since the pilot. It felt a lot like the middle act of a movie script. It appears the writers have heard the complaints about season two and ramped up the action.

When Lori gives birth to an African-American baby, we will all realize why T-Bone has been kept on the show this entire time with nothing to do.
Old 10-15-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm much happier with this premiere than other episodes. They finally seem to be taking on the Zombies much more logically. However if I was in that world I don't pass a body up without putting something through its skull. That was the only part that bothered me. It was obvious it was going to happen and felt cheap when he got bit. Otherwise I like that the characters seem to act much more logically than previous seasons.

They are really giving Carl that serial killer vibe. That little kid creeps me out.
Old 10-15-12, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn that was awesome.
Old 10-15-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Fantastic opening episode. Great directing by Ernest Dickerson. Very clausterphobic, tension packed hour.

Poor Herschel. Rick hacking off his leg was a pretty fucking brutal scene.

With Scott Wilson being credited only as a guest star, I don't think he's long for the Walking Dead universe.

The great thing about this episode was that it kept moving. Wall to Wall Zombie action.

Nice new opening credits. Looks like Frank Darabont is no longer credited as an EP on the show anymore.
Old 10-15-12, 02:35 AM

Good opening! Not familiar with the comics at all but the previews make the coming season look pretty damn interesting. One thing that bothers me a bit is that when they first raided the prison, they were able to take out multiple zombies, including zombies in riot gear, with spears and machetes, yet at the end they ran for their lives when they had all their new assault rifles.
Old 10-15-12, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Big open space in bright light vs small space in the dark. Can't hold the flashlights and shoot the guns at the same time. Probably end up shooting each other if they tried to make a stand.
Old 10-15-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent episode. Here's hoping they didn't blow their zombie budget on that premiere and that we're not left with them sitting around a prison cell block talking for the rest of the season.
Old 10-15-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya

With Scott Wilson being credited only as a guest star, I don't think he's long for the Walking Dead universe.
We shall see. I will say for those of us who've read the comics the storyline that's now being started with Herschel was originally used for Dale in the books.

But its already different then that one based just on how he lost the leg so its not like I have any idea if its really going to that same conclusion.
Old 10-15-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's kind of a weird feeling for those of us who are familiar with the comic book, to have things like Michonne, the Governor, and Woodbury show up, and know what it means and where it's leading, but still with the knowledge that the tv series isn't completely beholden to the comic book.

Sort of a will they go there, or will they take it somewhere else?
Well based on the clips they showed at the end of the episode it looks like only the girls at this time (maybe for all season) are meeting the Governor and Woodbury.
Old 10-15-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would imagine receiving a deep bite from a rotting corpse is enough to cause an immediate life threatening infection. Even if there was no "zombie virus".

Komodo Dragons kill their prey in a similar fashion. They have no venom but their mouths are so loaded with bacteria they cause blood sepsis virtually immediately upon getting bitten.
Old 10-15-12, 07:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by philly1981
the man has spoken
Why does AMC have to remind us every commercial break that this show is not on DISH? Oh yea, AMC fright fest, not on DISH! Are they hoping that the loyal fan base goes out and bad mouths DISH?
Old 10-15-12, 07:59 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
It's a shame we never saw that Fall of Atlanta prequel that had been discussed.
Was the thing discussed that would've been from the POV of the soldeir in the tank? That was the actor from The Mist I believe who was in the makeup.

I just read they're considering do a prequel to what happened in the prison,
Old 10-15-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'm much happier with this premiere than other episodes. They finally seem to be taking on the Zombies much more logically. However if I was in that world I don't pass a body up without putting something through its skull. That was the only part that bothered me.
Yeah, that rang false to me. Why not make sure? One and done, keep moving on.

Of course at the same time we have Buffy the Zombie Slayer decapitating walkers, which just leaves a trail of heads ready to bite someone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.