Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What genre for new shows are you the toughest critic on?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What genre for new shows are you the toughest critic on?
Science Fiction
16.00%
Serialized dramas
12.00%
30 minute comedies
52.00%
Procedurals
12.00%
All of the above
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Considering how picky some people in this forum seem to be and how they aren't easily pleased right away. I thought this might be an interesting topic to talk a little about. I've included a poll as well.

So far I've noticed that one of the more popular new shows this season Revolution is getting alot of groans and ughhs and is nit picked to death. Same goes with another action serial Last Resort.

30 minute comedies are another genre that seem to be a tough sell for people in this forum. Seems like if a comedy isn't making someone here LMAO after episode 1 or 2, it's dead to them. I've seen some get alot better after 5-6 episodes (if your patient with it though) Some people here thought New Girl sucked after a few episodes last season and look where that is now.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-13-12 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: What genre for new shows are you the toughest critic on?

Sitcoms. Theyre usually ridiculously god awful.
Old 10-13-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Nitpicking isn't necessarily a bad thing. The show I nitpick the most is so enjoyable as unintentional comedy because of its absurdity.

Generally, I don't know why the networks bother with comedies anymore. There's only 1 or 2 good (intentional) ones now: Modern Family and 30 Rock. I don't even bother picking up new ones to watch.
Old 10-13-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dramas. It seems like it's been ages since I've been able to get invested in one.
Old 10-13-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely procedurals. If they don't grab me right away, I'll bail after one, maybe two, shows.
Old 10-13-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Can we in turn ask you why you never seem to dislike shows?
Old 10-13-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

There are numerous factors I look at in deciding to drop a show after the first few episodes. First, what network is the show on and the talent involved. Genre usually has little to do with it, though the bar is raised much higher for the weekly procedurals. There are simply so few original ideas left in the genre that most of the weekly plots can be guessed within the first fifteen minutes.

I look at what purported demographic the show is catering to, that guides many decisions in casting and writing from a network perspective.
Old 10-13-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toughest on comedies by far..
Procedural are by the numbers so you already know it's a crime and maybe this person or that person did it, the end.

Serialized dramas are clear about theme before you watch them.. So you know going in that the new show is "Fat Female Cat Lawyer" or "Frat Bro Beer Makers For Bros".. So you can't really complain that one show had too many cats and the other has too many drunk dudes in snap back hats.

Science Fiction, no mater how stupid the premises will deliver a bunch of eps with a good creature of the week or near world ending event or whatever.. It's just a theme I like so I'm pretty forgiving..

I also believe that trying to balance all the elements of a longer format show takes effort. The writers need to plan out store lines for eps into the future and you might dislike some character now but they are needed for ep 14 or whatever. It's not easy.. Some show like say Lost worked better building ep to ep in the early seasons. You can't focus group "test" one ep with say the hatch count down timer in Lost with a feedback group being they have not seen 12+ other eps, they have no idea what is going on and will not care..

but new comedies should be pretty easy to test market as to of they are funny or not. So it's strange to see new shows like Partners spend 10+ min on an unfunny "I will not look a person in the eye" gag that is just stupid, all while the laugh track guy POUNDS THE LIVING HELL out the laughter button as if every word and sigh is comedic timing perfection.
Old 10-13-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I clicked on Serialized Dramas but meant Sitcoms. Most of the ones on the basic networks just aren't that great with a few exceptions (The Big Bang Theory, New Girl, and 2 Broke Girls is kind of growing on me).
Old 10-13-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Old 10-13-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

He's the teacher everyone wants in school...nobody gets less than a B.
Old 10-13-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess I'm not a harsh critic like most here. If something looks dumb or doesn't interest me, I won't watch it. Have you seen me do any Drop Dead Diva or Guys with Kids threads?

I'm not the kind of person who says that Fucking sucked monkey balls. I know I said one episode of something sucked last season and Red Dog almost pissed in his pants. Me saying something sucked is rare. It has to be really bad for me to dislike it.
Old 10-13-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Hmmm. I'm trying to figure out what show that was. It must have been cancelled.
Old 10-13-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most hour long shows that are bad still have something worth watching going on, even if it's one good actor.

A bad comedy on the other hand has no redeeming qualities to me.
Old 10-13-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Most hour long shows that are bad still have something worth watching going on, even if it's one good actor.

A bad comedy on the other hand has no redeeming qualities to me.
I agree. A bad comedy is unwatchable. At least with an hour long drama if there is 1-2 known and likeable lead actors, it at least makes it worth watching to kill time.
Old 10-13-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll give DJ credit. He never starts threads on Two and a Half Men. So I know that's one show he doesn't watch.
Old 10-13-12, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

^ But he does 2 Broke Girls, so I don't get that.
Old 10-13-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Cow
^ But he does 2 Broke Girls, so I don't get that.
That show is great and makes me laugh and smile. Shut the hell up

Let's not make this thread about me. Can we get back to the topic for anyone who is actually willing to say something worthwhile?
Old 10-13-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Definitely comedies. Humor is so subjective, while dramas are pretty cut and dry. Like you said, even a bad drama can have some high points in actors, dialog, story, or in the case of something like Terra Nova...dinosaurs, to help carry you through the 45 minutes.
Old 10-14-12, 02:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
I guess I'm not a harsh critic like most here. If something looks dumb or doesn't interest me, I won't watch it. Have you seen me do any Drop Dead Diva or Guys with Kids threads?

I'm not the kind of person who says that Fucking sucked monkey balls. I know I said one episode of something sucked last season and Red Dog almost pissed in his pants. Me saying something sucked is rare. It has to be really bad for me to dislike it.
Ha, i'm the same way too kinda. I'm always that guy that just finds the silver lining into everything.

I hate procedurals so that's why i don't even start to watch them, but when it's a serialized or a sci fi/horror show it really takes ALOT for me to stop watching. i always find SOMETHING i like

Same for movies, people say this so and so movie sucked well i say that at least the gore was good. or hey the directing was top notch etc lol
Old 10-14-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Not an option but gonna go with talent shows. Singing, Dancing, Skating. Dont care to see any of them.
Old 10-14-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely comedies. Most sitcoms do nothing for me. The canned laughter, the lack of ongoing stories or character development.

The few 30 minute comedies I watch tend to be the ones without laugh tracks.

I am also pretty hard on procedurals. Unless BOTH the characters and weekly storylines interest me, I am out after 1-2 episodes. I finally bailed on Castle because, although I liked the characters I found the weekly mystery started boring me to tears.
Old 10-14-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Not an option but gonna go with talent shows. Singing, Dancing, Skating. Dont care to see any of them.
Good point. In fact I detest the entire reality show genre from DWTS to dreck like Jersey Shore and the Kardashians. I think it signals the fall of civilization as we know it
Old 10-14-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
C
So far I've noticed that one of the more popular new shows this season Revolution is getting alot of groans and ughhs and is nit picked to death. Same goes with another action serial Last Resort.
What are the nitpicks about? If it's the science, I could see a lot of nitpicking about that.

I'd agree on the comedies--if you can't make me laugh, what are you here for? I got very few laughs out of the Ben and Kate pilot.

I'm probably easiest on the serialized dramas. If I'm intrigued, I'll hang around to learn more and hope there's a payoff down the road.
Old 10-14-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a viewer of both Revolution and Last Resort, I wish the people complaining about Last Resort were willing to watch Revolution so they'd see how much worse it can be.

I thought my distaste for the reality show and the talent contest show (I think they're separate genres) was implied by the lack of those genres on the list, but yes I hate them. I think I actually hate the talent contest show more. I hated Star Search back in the day. Really. Pointless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.