TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory -- "The Higgs Boson Observation" -- 10/11/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory -- "The Higgs Boson Observation" -- 10/11/12

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
It wouldn't necessarily kill the show to have Penny move. The only thing that is absolutely dependent on the location of her residence is the Penny, Penny, Penny gag, and if they were creative writers they could find a few ways to handle that. She's not around these guys due to proximity at this point -- she has sort of adopted them as her people.
I don't think that would work. Penny drops by all the time for the smallest things (wireless password, food, etc) - and that's how she gets involved in what's going on. Having her live somewhere else wouldn't give her the small opportunities in getting involved. That's a general rule of sitcoms - you have to set up situations where the characters see each other often.
Old 10-16-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to say that Amy was great. The delivery from the actress was just perfect. And yeah, lately she's the best of the show, but she was really that great in this episode.
Old 10-16-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

some great points made here.. I like the show, and do enjoy the cast... but you are right, they need Penny to get out in the acting field a bit, they could have fun with that...
Old 10-16-12, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amy was always great--Balek (sp) is a phenomenal dead pan actress. It's long past the time to get Walowitz (sp) back home. Penny's character has been compromised for a number of seasons now. She did look really good this episode and I hope she can "muscle" her way back into the series. Raj--enough with the can't talk to women bit. And it looks like Leonard has been reduced to being the straight man for Sheldon.
Old 10-16-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

But sadly it looks like it's going to eventually end up with a triple wedding of Leonard/Penny, Sheldon/Amy and Raj/graduate assistant (or maybe Stuart?). It's really starting to turn into a relationship comedy as opposed to offbeat nerd humor.
In other words, Friends.
Old 10-16-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The two added female characters enhance the show at this point, which is sad.

Sheldon is fine where he is. He's supposed to not change too much. Leonard has been pretty much eviscerated as a character. If they'd lose his mother, Howard would be perfect. Seriously, kill her. It would be funny. Raj is a problem. In fact, didn't we get over the talking issue somewhat last season? Why the fuck is it back?

Penny is really the biggest problem. Apparently the writers aren't smart enough to realize that they can get some good comic material out of Penny actually becoming a semi-successful actress. Give her a part in some B-movie sci-fi or a cult TV show along the lines of The Walking Dead. Make her more successful in financial terms than the guys are. Best of all would be having her play a physicist in some Bones or CSI-like procedural pilot.
Agree with all of this.

As for Penny getting an acting gig, it's absolutely doable, without breaking the dynamic. Think Entourage. How many times did we actually see Vinny on a movie set in 8 years? 3? 4? (1-2 for Medillan and 1-2 for Smokejumpers) More often than not, all his films happened in between seasons. There's no reason why that couldn't work here, especially for a b-level actress with bit parts. And even for those few episodes where she could be on set, the guys could visit which would result in nerding out over any given actor, director, writer, FX work, etc.

The opportunity is clearly there to grow the Penny character. The writers are just lazy.

Same goes for Raj. The guys are all scientists who work with many other scientists. Have someone develop a drug to allow Raj to speak. It could even lead to hilarious* side effects.

*not an original idea in the least (hello Lewis on the Drew Carey Show) but it's not any worse than having a one note character after 5 years.
Old 10-16-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

In a kind of related news Kaley Cuoko's Esquire magazine Latin America photoshoot was just released on the internet. It's very nice
Old 10-17-12, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I thought the show was the best when it was just Penny and the guys. I think it's gotten stale trying to do storylines for all the girls and their relationships, versus before when it was Penny dealing with the nerd stuff.

Evolving Penny to being a somewhat successful actress would be fun.
Really disagree - Penny and Amy work very well. I like the more mature Howard.
Old 10-17-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well they have taken Howard to new levels, maybe they can only focus on one Character at a time, or these writers feel like Howard represents themsleves, so they give himthe girl, and the space ride

I think the actors are great on this show, and still get a kick out of watching it, but there is a ton of room to grow here, and they could use with a tad less Jim Parsons, even though he is fantastic...
Old 10-17-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redsea
Really disagree - Penny and Amy work very well. I like the more mature Howard.
Yeah, I know i'm in the minority since everyone here seems to love Amy. I think she's just ok; she was getting better for a bit, but now it's just constant attempts to want love and make lesbian jokes.
Old 10-17-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Well they have taken Howard to new levels, maybe they can only focus on one Character at a time, or these writers feel like Howard represents themsleves, so they give himthe girl, and the space ride

I think the actors are great on this show, and still get a kick out of watching it, but there is a ton of room to grow here, and they could use with a tad less Jim Parsons, even though he is fantastic...
No doubt, the show is still great fun to watch. I do agree though that a few improvements could be made to the guys as characters just to see them grow a bit.
Old 10-18-12, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I have always liked the gal that they brought on as the assistant. Hope she sticks around for a while.

I agree with the previously mentioned points:

Give Penny a regular acting gig - on a cable sci-fi show.

Kill Howard's mother.

Do something with Raj.

Keep the assistant.

Kill Howard's mother.
Old 10-18-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really think crappy sci-fi channel movie with washed up cult actor would be the best first acting job, then ridiculous network procedural pilot with her playing physicist and one of the guys as technical advisor, then when that doesn't get picked up some sci-fi cable show.

ETA: Wheaton acts on Eureka, right? He could do Penny a solid by introducing her to whoever at the sci-fi channel (didn't they rename the network?) makes the shitty movies happen and it could go from there on the path I described.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 10-18-12 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Do something with Raj.
Maybe send Raj back to India and replace him with Kwipke. Have him starting working closely with Leonard and he starts bonding with the group. He can replace Howard as the Lecherous pervert too.
Old 10-18-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

They can replace him w/ his sister.
Old 10-18-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Nah, she was just as annoying.
Old 10-18-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition