DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   20 Terrible TV Spin-offs. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604866-20-terrible-tv-spin-offs.html)

Sonny Corinthos 09-17-12 05:19 PM

20 Terrible TV Spin-offs.

Sometimes a show is so good, a spin-off is inevitable. With “Cheers” came “Frasier” and with “The Cosby Show” came “A Different World”. But not all TV spin-offs are so successful. Some even get canceled before the first season is up. Here’s a look at 20 of the most terrible TV spin-offs of all time.

http://styleblazer.com/74159/20-terr...nder-a-minute/

DJariya 09-17-12 05:27 PM

Re: 20 Terrible TV Spin-offs.

I would not click on that link. I just clicked it and it went crazy and it launched hundreds of browsers on my PC. I had to re-start my computer to stop it. My computer also blocked an attack.

TGM 09-17-12 05:29 PM

no AfterMASH? fail.

Rockmjd23 09-17-12 05:54 PM

That '80s Show wasn't a spin-off, and I don't think Mona actually existed.

DeputyDave 09-17-12 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 11388674)
That '80s Show wasn't a spin-off, and I don't think Mona actually existed.

I agree, That 80's Show can't count. I also don't think you should count Top of the Heap as a "spin off", Married Children was used to introduce the show (and one or two others) in a single isolated episode. I consider a true spin off to have a dedicated character from one series begin another.

Michael Corvin 09-17-12 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11388640)
I would not click on that link. I just clicked it and it went crazy and it launched hundreds of browsers on my PC. I had to re-start my computer to stop it. My computer also blocked an attack.

Thanks for the heads up. Someone willing to check the link should just post the list here. :)

Rockmjd23 09-17-12 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11388922)
Thanks for the heads up. Someone willing to check the link should just post the list here. :)

They don't seem to be in any particular order.

Joey
Top of the Heap
Mrs Columbo
Jackee
The Bradys
The Ropers
Joanie Love Chachi
Saved by the Bell: The College Years
Models Inc
The Lone Gunmen
The Cleveland Show
That 80s Show
Checking In
American Juniors
The Golden Palace
Queer Eye for the Straight Girl
Grady
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
Mona
Baywatch Nights

Timber 09-17-12 09:05 PM

Thank god Just the Ten of Us wasn't on the list, that show was awesome.

kstublen 09-17-12 09:10 PM

I don't think The Lone Gunmen and The Cleveland Show should be on the list.

The Lone Gunmen was a nice addition to The X-Files mythology and it was cool to see a different take on the conspiracies. The Cleveland Show actually surpasses Family Guy (at least current day Family Guy) in terms of quality pretty consistently nowadays.

Michael Corvin 09-17-12 10:11 PM

Yeah, The Lone Gunmen was a good show.

Never heard of Mrs. Columbo.

majorjoe23 09-17-12 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 11388965)

The Lone Gunmen was a nice addition to The X-Files mythology and it was cool to see a different take on the conspiracies. The Cleveland Show actually surpasses Family Guy (at least current day Family Guy) in terms of quality pretty consistently nowadays.

Those were my thoughts as well.

The Infidel 09-17-12 10:24 PM

The Tortellis was pretty bad, IMO.

dhmac 09-17-12 10:33 PM

That list left off the worst spin-off in the history of television: "Fish" starring Abe Vigoda (spun off from "Barney Miller")

<iframe width="320" height="240" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H_Cp7s-5CXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Calling it horrible is an insult to the word "horrible"

Sonny Corinthos 09-17-12 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11388640)

That's strange, I didn't have any trouble at all when I found the article.

Bill Needle 09-17-12 11:19 PM

I don't know anything about The Lone Gunman, but totally agree on The Cleveland Show. Given how supremely horrific most of the rest of the shows listed are that one makes no sense.

Troy Stiffler 09-17-12 11:39 PM

Yea. The Cleveland Show is pretty good. I enjoy it's surreal moments. And it's got David Lynch in a recurring role.

I hardly remember what most of those shows on the list are.

whoopdido 09-17-12 11:48 PM

Should I be ashamed to admit that I actually liked the second season of Baywatch Nights?

RichC2 09-17-12 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11389166)
Yea. The Cleveland Show is pretty good. I enjoy it's surreal moments. And it's got David Lynch in a recurring role.

I hardly remember what most of those shows on the list are.

So now that he's older, Lynch does music and TV Shows (Cleveland, Louie).

I miss his movies :(, I like The Cleveland Show, never knew he was on it.

Charlie Goose 09-18-12 12:31 AM

I know that Joey can't begin to compare to the monster Friends, but I liked the show quite a bit. And it did run for two seasons.

Troy Stiffler 09-18-12 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11389189)
So now that he's older, Lynch does music and TV Shows (Cleveland, Louie).

Yea. He plays the bartender. Who looks like David Lynch.

Seth McFarlane networks with some good folks. Werner Herzog was in an episode of American Dad.

davidh777 09-18-12 01:04 AM

The Lone Gunmen was a nice addition to The X-Files mythology and it was cool to see a different take on the conspiracies.

I was going to say this

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 11389076)
The Tortellis was pretty bad, IMO.

...and this. First one that came to mind for me.

caligulathegod 09-18-12 02:43 AM

Yeah, I don't get the Cleveland hate. It's got a sweetness missing from the other MacFarlane shows but it also has a subversiveness.

The Bus 09-18-12 06:51 AM

Never seen <b>Cleveland</b> but cannot see why <b>The Lone Gunmen</b> is mentioned. That was a fun show.

raven56706 09-18-12 08:59 AM

having Cleveland on that list makes the rest of the list a failure... plus no aftermash!

Coral 09-18-12 09:29 AM

Yeah, I don't get how After MASH wasn't on the list - it's always used an example of a bad TV spinoff.

Unfortunately I remember those 70's spinoffs like Fish and Grady.

No mention of "Flo" (from Alice), W*A*L*T*E*R (Radar from MASH - didn't go beyond the pilot), Enos (Dukes of Hazzard), Three's a Crowd, The Brady Brides and The Tortellis.

The Top of the Heap spinoff was re-tooled into a new show called Vinnie & Bobby - centered around Vinny, his roommate and a few other familiar actors/comedians working at a construction site.