Doctor Who S07E03: "A Town Called Mercy" 09-15-12

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Doctor Who S07E03: "A Town Called Mercy" 09-15-12

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
The Doctor gets a Stetson (and a gun), and finds himself the reluctant Sheriff of a Western town under siege by a relentless cyborg who goes by the name of The Gunslinger. But who is he and what does he want?

Teaser:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5-_16N5HI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-15-12, 09:23 PM
Banned by request

Re: Doctor Who S07E03: "A Town Called Mercy" 09-15-12

Loved this episode. I liked the moral ambiguity inherent in the main conflict and the Doctor's evolving response to it. My only issue is that Amy and especially Rory was just window dressing. It looks like next week's episode will focus on them, so I'm looking forward to that one.
Old 09-15-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice western-themed episode. Lots of funny little bits if you were listening closely, like the ship's security system. "Distingrating intruders for more that 3 centuries." LOL.
Old 09-15-12, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to see a darker side of the Doctor which I enjoyed. Interesting line by Amy about that is what happens when he travels alone since we know that the new companion shows up right away.
Old 09-15-12, 09:29 PM
Banned by request

We don't know that the new companion shows up right away. She shows up in the episode following the one where we leave Amy and Rory, but who knows how much time passes between those two episodes.
Old 09-15-12, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Outside of the Doctor's snarkiness, this kinda reminded me of the pre-2005 stuff, I liked it.

I'm ready for a new companion. I still like Rory, but Amy has become pretty stale to me.
Old 09-15-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I'm ready for a new companion. I still like Rory, but Amy has become pretty stale to me.
I was thinking about that too. During the previous David Tennant incarnation, the Doctor got a new companion every season. But in the current Matt Smith run, it's been just Amy and Rory the whole time. While I really like both characters, it's about time for some sort of change.
Old 09-15-12, 10:10 PM
Banned by request

Rose held over from season one to season two. In the classic series, companions lasted for much longer than they have so far. I don't think Amy and Rory are tired, but they have been sorely underutilized thus far in the season.
Old 09-15-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Rose held over from season one to season two. In the classic series, companions lasted for much longer than they have so far. I don't think Amy and Rory are tired, but they have been sorely underutilized thus far in the season.
Yes, Rose lasted 2 seasons, but only one of those seasons was with Tennant's Doctor. (The new version of the series basically used Rose to bridge the change from Christopher Eccleston's short one-season-and-out run over to David Tennant.)

And I'm fine with companions lasting longer than just a single season, but I would like to have someone new for Matt Smith's Doctor to play off against.
Old 09-15-12, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yeah, I'm sure they are doing that to prep us for the new person(s). They have just built up Amy to be a "little too" cocky/confident.

I think she's been a great 'sidekick' but find Rory to be the better companion for the stories. Still has been a good run with both of them, I kinda wish they weren't going out at the same time somehow.
Old 09-16-12, 02:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated this episode, as I have with the first 2 this season. First, we were promised to see every kind of Dalek that's been on the show, but they were so covered in dirt and dust, all that you could tell was that they were 60s to 80s daleks because of the slats and smaller skirt base. Second, I've never wanted to punch someone more when Filch from Harry Potter killed the Triceratops. I'd rather have him kill Amy after what she did in the newest episode. 3, what right did Amy have to do what she did in the newest episode ? And then the Doctor was a coward and didn't do the right thing just because Amy told him to. Ugh. Unless the next episode is good, it's over for me. At least I'll have 1963 to 2010 to watch and enjoy.
Old 09-16-12, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kept hoping Ben Browder would find a way to use the word "Frell" in the episode but no such luck.
Old 09-16-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Outside of the Doctor's snarkiness, this kinda reminded me of the pre-2005 stuff, I liked it.
Yep, this was the first ep that felt like old school Dr. Who. Almost every episode 2005-now has been RUN RUN RUN SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT! This one just gave itself time to breathe and let the story unfold.
Old 09-16-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ben Browder didn't have much to do.
Old 09-19-12, 09:42 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I enjoyed this episode but I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like Matt Smith at all as the Doctor.
Old 09-19-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

This is my first time watching "live" and I have to say I am pretty disappointed. It just doesn't feel like anything is going on and I know all the seasons have had that feeling but when I'm watching 3 in a row I don't have to dwell on it. Now we've had 2 episodes in a row really about nothing coming off of an underwhelming premiere. I hope we get to the meat of the season soon or I might just have to wait for the Blu's again.
Old 09-19-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This season is so close to losing me. I don't think these episodes have been horrible, but I just do not care one lick about what's going on. I too like the Ponds, but I'm also ready for them to be gone. Their arc feels done, and now they just feel like they're treading water. I'm hopeful that a new companion will shake things up a bit.
Old 09-19-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
This is my first time watching "live" and I have to say I am pretty disappointed. It just doesn't feel like anything is going on and I know all the seasons have had that feeling but when I'm watching 3 in a row I don't have to dwell on it. Now we've had 2 episodes in a row really about nothing coming off of an underwhelming premiere. I hope we get to the meat of the season soon or I might just have to wait for the Blu's again.
I agree. Feels like we're just killing time until the story arc clicks in on the departure of the Ponds.
Old 09-19-12, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
This season is so close to losing me. I don't think these episodes have been horrible, but I just do not care one lick about what's going on. I too like the Ponds, but I'm also ready for them to be gone. Their arc feels done, and now they just feel like they're treading water. I'm hopeful that a new companion will shake things up a bit.
If you're hoping for a new companion to shake things up, then maybe it's really time for a new Doctor. I don't feel companions should be the make or break for Who but rather the Doctor himself.
Old 09-19-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I enjoyed this episode but I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like Matt Smith at all as the Doctor.
I came to that conclusion soon after he took over. I'm also not fond of the writing and direction since the change over. They take potentially good ideas for episodes and lessen them in the execution.
Old 09-19-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure most of you caught these, but just in case you missed them (or remember bits I missed): The Doctor acting a bit erratic (and darker) is part of the story-line. Amy made several comments on his recent behavior and said he's been off on his own too much lately.

They are setting up the Ponds leaving very clearly and the Doctor is certainly aware of it as evident by his look to her when she discussed her mortality and him spacing out the times he is picking them up for adventures. Check out how the Doctor reacted to the dinosaur being killed and him basically murdering the collector at the end of the episode. He is clearly working through some stuff. The debate about the alien "doctor" was clearly also referencing our Doctor in a not-too-subtle way.

Anyone notice that each opening credit scene this season is getting progressively darker? That's a nice touch.
Old 09-19-12, 12:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I like Matt Smith, but the frenetic pace of every single episode is a real turn-off. This has been a problem since the 2005 reboot, but Steven Moffat has taken it to a whole new level. The show would be greatly improved, IMHO, if they did half as many stories and made them all two-parters.

That said, I enjoyed this episode overall. Best of the season so far.
Old 09-19-12, 05:12 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm pretty sure Matt Smith is locked in through 2014, or so I've read.
I hated the change to MS at first, but I feel like it has more to do with the series as a whole under Moffat vs Davies. The Tennant/Davies era was 100x better for me, and I've decided that I would have liked Smith a lot better if he had come in under Davies. He makes for a good doctor, but he's given crap to worth with compared to Tennant. Just IMHO, I know there's a lot of fans that hated the Tennant era for the same reason I liked it.
Having said that, I'm really looking forward to "The Power of Three" this weekend for several reasons.
Spoiler:
We get a supposed Earth invasion story, something that hasn't really been done much with Smith like it has with other Doctors in the past. Plus, UNIT returns with
Spoiler:
the Brigadier's daughter!
It may feel more like pre-Moffat eras, hopefully.