Series regulars who didn't appear in an episode for temperamental reasons

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Series regulars who didn't appear in an episode for temperamental reasons

Old 08-06-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 792 Posts
Re: Series regulars who didn't appear in an episode for temperamental reasons

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It was early in the show's run, and Jason Alexander was a stage guy so the show wasn't that important to him at the time. He told Larry David that if they don't need him for every episode, just write him out entirely. They never wrote George out of an episode again, but they did it to Michael Richards who was also missing from that same episode.
After George and Kramer were missing from "The Pen," there was not another episode without both of those characters appearing.
Old 08-06-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
...but they did it to Michael Richards who was also missing from that same episode.
Richards was also missing from The Chinese Restaurant in S2. Makes me wonder whether he felt the same as Alexander did.
Old 08-06-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started reading Top of the Rock today.
Spoiler:

In it, Alexander says that threatened to quit because he thought that doing episodes with just Jerry and Elaine signaled a different direction for the show--a direction in which George was superfluous. If NBC wanted to make Seinfeld a show about Jerry and Elaine as a couple, then they should let him out early because he signed up for a show about Jerry and George as best friends.
Old 08-06-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Richards was also missing from The Chinese Restaurant in S2. Makes me wonder whether he felt the same as Alexander did.
According to the internet, the original conception of Kramer's character was that he never left the apartment building.

What episode had the first scene of Kramer at the coffee shop?
Old 08-06-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I just started reading Top of the Rock today.
Spoiler:

In it, Alexander says that threatened to quit because he thought that doing episodes with just Jerry and Elaine signaled a different direction for the show--a direction in which George was superfluous. If NBC wanted to make Seinfeld a show about Jerry and Elaine as a couple, then they should let him out early because he signed up for a show about Jerry and George as best friends.
Sounds valid enough.
Old 08-07-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Another one: Nora Dunn sat out the Andrew Dice Clay episode of SNL as a protest of his act's misogynist content.

And then the following week, in an act of pathetic copycatting... um, I mean solidarity, the key boardist, Star What's Her Face, boycotted the episode of the Arsenio Hall Show featuring Dice.

Both such great loses from those shows i am sure.
Old 08-07-15, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Steven Hill in Mission: Impossible. Led to Peter Graves taking over in season two.
Originally Posted by Preterite
To add context, Hill was an Orthodox Jew who refused to work on Fridays. This caused a lot of issues for the tight shooting schedules, so he was replaced with a Shabbos goy.
I'm not Jewish, so like Will Rogers said, "All I know is what I read in Wikipedia." Hill only refused to work on part of Friday.

... [Hill] left the show in 1967 after the end of the first season. As one of the few Orthodox Jewish actors working in Hollywood, he made it clear in advance of production that he was not able to work on the Sabbath (i.e., sundown Friday to dusk Saturday), and that he would leave the set every Friday before sundown. However, despite Hill's advance warnings, the show's producers were unprepared for his rigid adherence to the Sabbath, and on at least one occasion Hill left the set while an episode was still in the midst of filming.