Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad --> Season 5.1 Finale --> "Gliding Over All" --> 9/2/12

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad --> Season 5.1 Finale --> "Gliding Over All" --> 9/2/12

One question, one observation:

1) So did Jesse find out that Walt killed Mike? He made reference that Saul told him about the prison hit, but I was unclear if he still believed what Walt told him about Mike at the beginning of the episode (he got away).

2) Looks like Lance learned a great lesson from his father as far as car / murder evidence disposal.
Old 09-04-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stuff
One question, one observation:

1) So did Jesse find out that Walt killed Mike? He made reference that Saul told him about the prison hit, but I was unclear if he still believed what Walt told him about Mike at the beginning of the episode (he got away).
The Madrigal woman seemed able to piece together that Mike was dead, since the prison hit never would have happened if Mike was still in the picture (at least that was the implication I got). I took Jesse retrieving his gun to possibly mean he'd pieced that together as well, but I wasn't 100% sure on that either. Part of me wants to say that Jesse's reaction would have been more violent if he realized it, though.
Old 09-04-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of the problem with Hank, next season, is that he's going to realize that his career is over. If it happened to his previous boss, it will happen to him. And it can be even worse to him. So he's back to studying rocks, I mean, minerals.

And yeah, Walt still can say that he bough the book at a flea market or some random place like that, because he remembered the conversation with Hank or something, but it's clear that the idea is already inside Hank's head.
Old 09-04-12, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Did you predict it on Dvdtalk? Because I was curious and just did a quick scan through your past Breaking Bad posts and didn't see anything looking like a prediction for the end of the season.

Not trying to be a dick, I just wanted to check it out.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11361749-post86.html

I'm referencing an earlier post, but I can't remember how it was put. I'll try to find it, I'm curious now for the context.
Old 09-04-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
And yeah, Walt still can say that he bough the book at a flea market or some random place like that, because he remembered the conversation with Hank or something, but it's clear that the idea is already inside Hank's head.
The inscription said something about working with Walt... there's no way anybody would buy that coincidence.
Old 09-04-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
The Madrigal woman seemed able to piece together that Mike was dead, since the prison hit never would have happened if Mike was still in the picture (at least that was the implication I got). I took Jesse retrieving his gun to possibly mean he'd pieced that together as well, but I wasn't 100% sure on that either. Part of me wants to say that Jesse's reaction would have been more violent if he realized it, though.
I think Jesse was just freaked because he knew Walt had ordered the prison murders--nothing to do with Mike at all. He saw Walt cleaning up loose ends and thought he could be next.
Old 09-04-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by andicus
That's exactly what I thought, as well. Although that would be incredibly stupid of Walt. Keeping the book, while stupid, was consistent with Walt's arrogance, as has been mentioned.

Regarding Hank, he would have to be an absolute idiot not to piece together the connection between Walt and Gale after seeing the book. Considering the story about Walt's 'gambling winnings' a decent cop would be all over it.
True. But Walt's ego would still even do something stupid like that. But, it is a little unrealistic.

I also agree with your assessment on Hank. However, when it comes to family, you look at them totally different then you would a regular criminal. In that regard, that is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Old 09-04-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think that Jesse knows about Mike. I think he distrusts Walter and rightly so. But to Jesse's naivety and goodness, you saw him breakdown after Walt left the money because he felt like he was a bad person for thinking Walter might be there to harm him.
Old 09-04-12, 09:22 AM

"If only Walt had some better magazines in the bathroom."

Funny, funny, funny. I can foresee a dying Walter reminiscing over how we he was undone because Hank had to take a crap.
Old 09-04-12, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I deleted the episode already. I did find the quote online though: http://www.eonline.com/news/342796/b...rss_topstories

"Even whacking Bin Laden wasn't this complicated."—Todd's murderous uncle

So if that quote is correct, the "wasn't" means Bin Laden has already been killed, which shouldn't be the case in the show's timeline. Anyone wanna go back and confirm the exact quote? Maybe from the CC even?
Just checked... He did say "wasn't", and the sentence is the same as your quote.

I don't see is as a big deal, though. Have they ever established a time setting in the show?

Last edited by The Cow; 09-04-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-04-12, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I don't think that Jesse knows about Mike. I think he distrusts Walter and rightly so. But to Jesse's naivety and goodness, you saw him breakdown after Walt left the money because he felt like he was a bad person for thinking Walter might be there to harm him.
That watch has some sort of camera/audio thing in it. Maybe a GPS Tracker?
Old 09-04-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone else hear a plop in the toilet when Hank looked up?

I think the unthinkable act Walt commits is either killing or having Hank killed.

Also couldn't Walt explain the book from a former colleague that was greatful for Walt helping with a formula for meth that Walt can say he did for money in a desperate hour so his family could have money and also pay for Hanks hospital bills?
Old 09-04-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Late to the party here, but a few thoughts.

All I could think at the end was holy shit...then my next thought was fuck now I have to wait a year.

In addition to Hank knowing, which will lead to his demise. I think Hank may start tailing Walt and I believe the list of names may be slightly etched into the coffee house table since she wrote the names on a napkin, then get the surveillance video of them meeting there to exchange the bags of money.

Loved skychunk asking how big does the pile need to get.

Is he really out? I'm assuming he said he was out because the cancer came back and buick skylark asked for her life back?

I don't think Jesse knows and technically Walt was good at not lying to him and just said that Mike was "gone".
Old 09-04-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how much time people spend thinking of scenarios that absolutely will not happen on this show. The baby finds the ricin behind an outlet cover and a nightstand? Pen marks on a tabletop that last for months? Walt somehow talking his way out of the 5 or 6 red flags that have come up around him, now that Hank has something that directly ties him to the blue meth?

Is it just fun to speculate or do people actually think things like Jesse knows about Mike's death but isn't saying anything to Walt about it?

Sometimes I don't know if we are all even watching the same show.
Old 09-04-12, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven
It never ceases to amaze me how much time people spend thinking of scenarios that absolutely will not happen on this show. The baby finds the ricin behind an outlet cover and a nightstand? Pen marks on a tabletop that last for months? Walt somehow talking his way out of the 5 or 6 red flags that have come up around him, now that Hank has something that directly ties him to the blue meth?

Is it just fun to speculate or do people actually think things like Jesse knows about Mike's death but isn't saying anything to Walt about it?

Agreed. It's fun to speculate, but some of these things people are saying, I just cannot see happening. At all.
Old 09-04-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Jessie didn't drop to the ground because he felt he was a bad person. That reaction was relief that Walt hadn't come to kill him. He's scared shitless of Walt, and rightfully so.

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Did anyone else hear a plop in the toilet when Hank looked up?

I think the unthinkable act Walt commits is either killing or having Hank killed.

Also couldn't Walt explain the book from a former colleague that was greatful for Walt helping with a formula for meth that Walt can say he did for money in a desperate hour so his family could have money and also pay for Hanks hospital bills?
It doesn't really matter if Walt had an explanation for the book or not. The blinders are off and Hank will put all the other pieces together and can watch for more clues or evidence. Even if the book wasn't from Gale, all that matters is what it triggered in Hank's mind.
Old 09-04-12, 10:31 AM

We assume that Hank is now adding things up in his head while he's sitting there. Any ideas what Walt's defense would be? G.B. is Gale Boetticher, however, did we ever learn Gretchen Schwartz's maiden name? A "B" name possibly? After all, she was Walt's lab assistant and romantic interest in the past. Could be Vince Gilligan throwing another curveball at us.
Old 09-04-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Walt is definitely out... or at least that's his honest intention.
I think it's a combination of the cancer coming back, the realization that he's already sitting on a mountain of cash (which is more than enough - and would be hard to launder as it is) and maybe a small percentage due to Skylar's feelings.

There's no way Walt can explain away the book... and to say he bought it somewhere is way too huge of a coincidence. Hank won't approach him about it - at least not right away. He will conduct his own personal investigation and before doing anything official - he will probably approach Walt which will launch into a huge conflict (either violent or blackmail) and shit will hit the fan even further.
Old 09-04-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven

I think it's unlikely, but I also wouldn't put it outside of the realm of plausibility. When has Jesse ever come anywhere close to being as scared of Walt directly as he was on this past episode? Jesse knew about the prison killings, but those weren't done by Walt pesonally. In every physical confrontation the two have ever had, Jesse's gotten the upper hand, and Jesse knows Walt's M.O. is usually indirect killing (poison/bombs). Suddenly Jesse has to arm himself when Walt shows up at the door? Something made Jesse think Walt was there to off him personally.

Remember we're talking about a several month gap between Mike's death/prison killings and Walt's arrival at Jesse's door. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an episode dealing with what Jesse did in that interval.

I'm not sure why the snide attitude is necessary. If you've got the show all figured out, ignore the discussion. I don't think some of the suggested scenarios are plausible myself, but I'll either ignore them or say why I don't think they're likely, instead of being derisive. That just shuts discussion down.
Old 09-04-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by anilox
We assume that Hank is now adding things up in his head while he's sitting there. Any ideas what Walt's defense would be? G.B. is Gale Boetticher, however, did we ever learn Gretchen Schwartz's maiden name? A "B" name possibly? After all, she was Walt's lab assistant and romantic interest in the past. Could be Vince Gilligan throwing another curveball at us.
Naw, too much of a coincidence. The printing would match... there's already a reference from Gale to a Walt Whitman poem and the mention of "WW". This gets the wheels in Hanks head moving and he'll piece things together which will makes Walt look even more suspicious - which would make any explanation looking too unlikely.

We're too late in the series for Hank to find out something and then dismiss it. This is about the right time for Hank to get suspicious which will result in a couple episodes of Hank building his case against Walt.. then confrontation... and the shit hits the fan. Seems about right with only 8 episodes left.
Old 09-04-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I loved the ending. I knew they'd end on a cliffhanger in order to give some legitimacy to breaking up the season so I knew for sure that Hank would have an epiphany at the end there. I just love the way they did it. All the small things that could make Hank's light bulb go off they throw back to short moment that at the time seemed forgettable. I thought something would come up that linked Jesse to Walt.
Old 09-04-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone think Gilligan will put out a book sometime after the series is over about the making and storylines of Breaking Bad?
Old 09-04-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Now we need a series of images with every single suspicious thing Walt said/did and then have each side by side with Hank on the toilet.

"Hank, how much money did you get from that bust?"
*Toilet Face*

"Actually I would like to come for a ride along."
*Toilet Face*
Old 09-04-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Jessie didn't drop to the ground because he felt he was a bad person. That reaction was relief that Walt hadn't come to kill him. He's scared shitless of Walt, and rightfully so.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 09-04-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it wasn't for the first scene of the first episode of this season, could this ending have been a decent series finale? Hank finding the book when Walt is sitting on the back patio, 20 feet from him makes me want to know what happens next. Will Hank confront Walt? Will he clam up and start watching Walt a little more closely, hoping to find some evidence that could actually be used in a courtroom? Will Walt sense that Hank knows?

But, what if Hank finds the book after attending Walt's funeral? I think that would be a satisfying end to Walt. He did what he initially set out to do. He earned some money to secure for his children's future. Then he died. Pretty much what was the expected outcome from season one. I don't think the show could possibly end without Hank knowing that Heisenberg was Walt, but a posthumous discovery probably implies that Hank keeps his job.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.