DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Jersey shore cancelled (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604369-jersey-shore-cancelled.html)

dex14 08-30-12 11:44 AM

Jersey shore cancelled

This Just In: MTV Cancels Jersey Shore
Gym. Tan. Look for a job.

MTV has announced that Jersey Shore‘s upcoming sixth season (debuting Oct. 4) will be its last.

New Jersey’s unemployment rate is about to get a little higher.

MTV is pulling the plug on its modern classic reality series Jersey Shore.

The sixth and final edition of the show recently wrapped production and will debut Thursday, Oct. 4, with the crew back in Seaside Heights for one last party. The network is also airing a retrospective Jersey Shore special titled “Gym, Tan, Look Back” that will include a first look at the final season. The special will air before the Video Music Awards on Thursday, Sept. 6. The Shore cast will make a live appearance on the red carpet during the VMAs pre-show, as well.

Shore was one of the most polarizing shows in TV history, but no one can deny its enormous success and pop culture influence. The series debuted in 2009 amid controversy from Italian-American groups, who said the show’s self-described “guido” cast were ethnic stereotypes. But MTV viewers shrugged off the complaints and, after a somewhat average debut, Jersey Shore quickly took off in the ratings.

Two years after its debut, Shore hit nearly 9 million viewers a week and became the most popular program in MTV’s history. The show launched a whole lexicon of Shore slang (fist pumping, gym-tan-laundry, smush room, getting-it-in…) and made household-name stars of its cast, who lined up lucrative endorsement and appearance deals. Moreover, the basic cable reality series routinely managed to trounce major broadcast network shows in the key adults 18-49 demographic.

And then, last summer, an ambitious overseas expedition to Italy marked the beginning of the end, with Shore‘s numbers slipping notably for the first time during the show’s fourth season. A return to Seaside in January saw ratings drop further, to 7.6 million for the show’s premiere.

If those still seem like giant numbers for MTV, they are. Shore‘s cancellation is about more than the size of the audience. The cast leveraged a series of raises over the years that has partly offset the show’s ratings success (their contracts expire at the end of the upcoming season). Moreover, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi — arguably the show’s most popular castmember along with Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino — just had her first child, putting the show’s hard-living beach party TV fantasy on a crash course with grown-up reality. At one point during the upcoming season, Snooki left the Shore house, having previously cited concerns about whether the set was the proper environment for a mother-to-be. The overall sense has been that, creatively, the show has run its course.

The sixth season is not expected to actively portray that the series is coming to close. Before filming began, the cast was informed this might be the show’s final season, but they were not officially told the news until this morning. The show is survived by its two spin-offs, The Pauly D Project and Snooki & JWOWW. Though MTV has not yet announced a verdict on Pauly D Project, the Snooki series was picked up for a second season.

MTV reality executive Chris Linn, who previously told EW that this was “very possibly” the show’s final season, also recently expressed interest in airing a special covering Snooki’s wedding. “I would love to have a Snooki-Jionni wedding,” Linn said. “That could be amazing.”
Thank god. It was great for the first 2/3 seasons. But has sucked since. I'd rather watch the Pauly show. The other spinoff sucks, but has a second season on the way.

islandclaws 08-30-12 11:47 AM

Re: Jersey shore cancelled

This should have been done after S3.

Groucho 08-30-12 12:05 PM

I'm sure with the cast's bloated salaries it got too expensive to produce. I'm surprised they didn't just try swapping them out with a new set of guidos.

bluetoast 08-30-12 12:17 PM

I stopped watching in the middle of the 3rd season (or whatever the Italy one was). If it got worse then it's for the best, but these guys will be employed for a while.

Tarantino 08-30-12 12:18 PM

I have never seen it, but was unaware it was still on. It ran for longer than I thought.

Goat3001 08-30-12 12:23 PM

Yeah this is a long time coming. First and second seasons were fun but really fell apart once they got too big for their own good. I'm also surprised MTV isn't trying to throw a new cast out there but I guess they realized just how much they drove the concept into the ground.

Finisher 08-30-12 12:23 PM

First couple seasons were enjoyable but they ran it into the ground. Agree with Groucho, surprising that they didn't turn it into a Real World type situation with a new cast every season and limiting it to one season a year.

Double_Oh_7 08-30-12 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 11365420)
First couple seasons were enjoyable but they ran it into the ground. Agree with Groucho, surprising that they didn't turn it into a Real World type situation with a new cast every season and limiting it to one season a year.

If you've seen one guido, you've seen them all. I hope The Situation saved his money... shit's gonna dry up for him big time now.

Match 08-30-12 12:49 PM

I don't think Pauly D would be upset.

‘Jersey Shore’ Star Pauly D Named 7th Weathiest DJ In The World, Makes $11 Million Per Year
http://www.inquisitr.com/295228/jers...lion-per-year/

Groucho 08-30-12 12:59 PM

That's hilarious. Not the part about Pauly D, but the fact that somebody maintains a list of "World's Wealthiest DJs".

starseed1981 08-30-12 01:06 PM

Eh...I still watch because its such a train wreck. But I don't cry when its gone.

d2cheer 08-30-12 02:00 PM

And people say no good things happen anymore...

boogieman03 08-30-12 02:27 PM

Hmm. I thought last season was the final season.

Maybe it was for me.

A better question is, when's the next duel/inferno/gauntlet/freshmeat/exes/sexes challenge?

dex14 08-30-12 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 11365582)
Hmm. I thought last season was the final season.

Maybe it was for me.

A better question is, when's the next duel/inferno/gauntlet/freshmeat/exes/sexes challenge?

Sept. 19th

The Challenge: Battle Of the Seasons - Meet The Cast!
Yup, it's official! The new season of The Challenge features Teams made by taking the most controversial characters from your very favourite Seasons of the Real World! From Austin, and Cancun, to Sydney and New Orleans - your favourites are back for what is sure to be the wildest season of The Challenge, ever!

'The Challenge: Battle of the Seasons' Teams

The Real World: Austin
Wes Bergmann
Lacey Buehler
Danny Jamieson
Melinda Stolp

The Real World: Brooklyn
Sarah Rice
Chet Cannon
Devyn Sims
J.D. Ordonez

The Real World: Las Vegas 1 & 2
Trishelle Cannatella
Alton Williams
Dustin Zito
Nany Gonzalez

The Real World: Cancun
Jasmine Reynaud
Jonna Mannion
Derek Chavez
C.J. Koegel

The Real World: New Orleans
Ryan Knight
Jemmye Carroll
McKenzie Coburn
Preston Roberson-Charles

The Real World: San Diego
Zach Nichols
Sam McGinn
Frank Sweeney

The Real World: St. Thomas
Trey Weatherholtz
Laura Waller
Marie Roda
Robb Schreiber

The Real World: Sydney
Dunbar Flinn
Isaac Stout
KellyAnne Judd
Ashli Robson

boogieman03 08-30-12 03:07 PM

rotfl

Awesome. There are some real winners in that group. Hopefully it makes for a good season.

Thanks for the info.

Bill Needle 08-30-12 03:28 PM

Time to stock up on disinfectant for the after show shame showers.

Dragon Tattoo 08-30-12 04:41 PM

No need for The Jersey Shore when each cast member has a spin-off either on air or in development.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-30-12 04:47 PM

3 years too late

Dr. DVD 08-30-12 05:33 PM

:up::up::up:

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 11365770)
3 years too late

philly1981 08-30-12 05:49 PM

so the torture is finally over. I wonder what mtv will come up with next :confused:

pza2002 08-30-12 07:18 PM

Too bad they can't toss Teen Mom in there with it.

But, to quote former president Gerald Ford "My Fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over."

PopcornTreeCt 08-30-12 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11365471)
That's hilarious. Not the part about Pauly D, but the fact that somebody maintains a list of "World's Wealthiest DJs".

Pauly D makes $11 million a year and is only number 7?!!

Supermallet 08-30-12 11:16 PM

Six years? Wow. Shows how much I pay attention to MTV.

superdeluxe 08-31-12 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 11365372)
This should have been done after S3.

Yup.

1st summer at shore, Than Miami, then should have ended it with 2nd stint at the shore.

Once it went to Italy it went to shit.

Adam Tyner 08-31-12 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11366159)
Six years? Wow. Shows how much I pay attention to MTV.

Not even 3 years, at this point. It premiered in December 2009. Reality shows frequently define "season" differently than scripted series do, for whatever reason.