'Beverly Hills Cop: The Series' from Shawn Ryan & Eddie Murphy

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-28-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Shawn Ryan developing Beverly Hills Cop TV series; Eddie Murphy may guest star

http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/bever...hawn-ryan.html

Nearly a year ago, Eddie Murphy told Rolling Stone that he was interested in turning his classic 1984 action comedy Beverly Hills Cop into a TV show. Now Vulture has learned exclusively that the project is not only a reality, but that The Shield creator Shawn Ryan is leading the charge to resurrect Axel Foley. Multiple industry insiders tell us Ryan, Murphy and Sony Pictures Television have partnered on a small screen adaptation of the massively successful film franchise, and that broadcast networks began hearing their pitch on the spin-off this afternoon. And here's the kicker: In addition to his main role as an exec producer, Murphy has agreed to an on-camera role in the show. Feel free to begin doing the Neutron Dance.

Murphy telegraphed his intent to be a visible presence in the TV version of Cop during his chat with Rolling Stone last October. "I'd do the pilot, show up here and there," he told the magazine. Murphy was also very specific about the idea he had for reviving Axel. It would be a series "starring Axel Foley's son, and Axel is the chief of police now in Detroit." Vulture hasn't heard details of the pitch to networks, so it's very possible that the concept Ryan and Murphy is bringing to the networks has changed since. Our spies were only sure that the series is designed to be "a buddy cop show," that it will be an hourlong crime procedural with strong comedic elements (hello, CBS!), and that Murphy would appear in the pilot and possibly a few special episodes throughout the first season.

As for the major players in this version, Murphy and his self-titled production company were producers on the Cop movie franchise, which is one reason he's on board as an exec producer. Sony has an overall deal with Ryan (who's getting ready to launch The Last Resort on ABC), and Paramount Pictures released the feature films (though it's unclear what role the movie studio might have in the TV take). Still, one thing is for certain: Multiple networks will go crazy for the chance to make this show. Also, if producers don't use "Axel F" as the theme song, we will not be amused.

Keep in mind, this is only being pitched. It may not even get a Pilot order. Really surprised that Shawn Ryan is involved.
Old 08-29-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen 'The Shield', but I really enjoyed 'Terriers' and 'Chicago Code'. I think Ryan's sensibilities and style might work well here. And despite many, many missteps, I will always have faith in Eddie Murphy and look forward to seeing him in more of a older, mature role.

"Nearly a year ago, Eddie Murphy told Rolling Stone that he was interested in turning his classic 1984 action comedy Beverly Hills Cop into a TV show. Now Vulture has learned exclusively that the project is not only a reality, but that The Shield creator Shawn Ryan is leading the charge to resurrect Axel Foley. Multiple industry insiders tell us Ryan, Murphy and Sony Pictures Television have partnered on a small screen adaptation of the massively successful film franchise, and that broadcast networks began hearing their pitch on the spin-off this afternoon. And here's the kicker: In addition to his main role as an exec producer, Murphy has agreed to an on-camera role in the show. Feel free to begin doing the Neutron Dance.

Murphy telegraphed his intent to be a visible presence in the TV version of Cop during his chat with Rolling Stone last October. "I'd do the pilot, show up here and there," he told the magazine. Murphy was also very specific about the idea he had for reviving Axel. It would be a series "starring Axel Foley's son, and Axel is the chief of police now in Detroit." Vulture hasn't heard details of the pitch to networks, so it's very possible that the concept Ryan and Murphy is bringing to the networks has changed since. Our spies were only sure that the series is designed to be "a buddy cop show," that it will be an hour-long crime procedural with strong comedic elements (hello, CBS!), and that Murphy will appear in the pilot and possibly a few special episodes throughout the first season.

As for the major players in this version, Murphy and his self-titled production company were producers on the Cop movie franchise, which is one reason he's on board as an exec producer. Sony has an overall deal with Ryan (who's getting ready to launch The Last Resort on ABC), and Paramount Pictures released the feature films (though it's unclear what role the movie studio might have in the TV take). Still, one thing is for certain: Multiple networks will go crazy for the chance to make this show. Also, if producers don't use "Axel F" as the theme song, we will not be amused."

Vulture.com
Old 08-29-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Re: 'Beverly Hills Cop: The Series' from Shawn Ryan & Eddie Murphy

Axel Foley as the Chief of Police.
Old 08-29-12, 10:05 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

The Brett Ratner directed BHC IV sounded like a better idea.
Old 08-29-12, 10:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do like Shawn Ryan. Axel Foley as the chief of police makes absolutely zero sense, but I suppose I could live with that if the rest of the show is good.
Old 08-29-12, 10:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If Axel Foley is, in fact, the Chief of Police in Detroit that would explain a lot.
Old 08-29-12, 10:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-29-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

"Men, bring these larceny numbers down! How? Have you tried sticking a banana in their car's tailpipe?"
Old 08-29-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604...uest-star.html

Uhhh hello? Am I on your Ignore list Charlie? I posted this thread yesterday. It's still on page 1.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-29-12 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-29-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very sorry. I honestly didn't see it, and I would never ignore you. I'm cool with mods deleting this or merging or whatever needs to be done. This is why I never start threads.

Last edited by CharlieK; 08-29-12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-29-12, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Shield' creator Shawn Ryan turning 'Beverly Hills Cop' into TV series

SNL's Jay Pharoah would be perfect as a young Axel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WsZLRhOMHA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paging Axel Foley! Eddie Murphy’s popular 1984 film Beverly Hills Cop (not to mention its two sequels) is coming to a small screen near you. EW has confirmed that a series based on the film is being developed by The Shield creator Shawn Ryan and produced by Murphy.
Murphy will both produce the show and have an on-screen role. He was also a producer on the original three Beverly Hills Cop films.
While Murphy said a fourth Beverly Hills Cop film wouldn’t happen in a Rolling Stone interview last year, he promoted the idea of creating a TV show based on the film. There are few details confirmed about the upcoming production, but Murphy told Rolling Stone in October 2011 his concept for a Beverly Hills Cop show: ”What I’m trying to do with Beverly Hills Cop now is produce a TV show starring Axel Foley’s son, and Axel is the chief of police now in Detroit. I’d do the pilot, show up here and there.”
Vulture first reported the news.
Old 08-29-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: 'Shield' creator Shawn Ryan turning 'Beverly Hills Cop' into TV series

Thread #3 on this subject

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604...uest-star.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604...ie-murphy.html
Old 08-29-12, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dex14
The Brett Ratner directed BHC IV sounded like a better idea.
Brett Ratner directing anything sounds like a terrible idea. (e.g. Tower Heist, X3, After The Sunset, Red Dragon)
Old 08-29-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 'Shield' creator Shawn Ryan turning 'Beverly Hills Cop' into TV series

Whew, now I don't feel so bad.
Old 08-29-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

If a major prime time network picks this up, no way am I watching.

Showtime, FX or HBO would be an entirely different story.

*hums Faltermeyer's theme song*
Old 08-29-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No thank you to this one.
Old 08-29-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merged 3 threads into one.
Old 08-29-12, 06:45 PM
Suspended

So every episode Axel travels out of his jurisdiction to solve a crime? Hmmm.
Old 08-29-12, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Brett Ratner directing anything sounds like a terrible idea. (e.g. Tower Heist, X3, After The Sunset, Red Dragon)
I liked Red Dragon. Everything after that sucked. Everything before was decent. He wouldn't be the worst person assigned to direct a BHC movie. And I hate the guy.
Old 08-30-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I actually think this is a cool idea...which means it will a) never happen or b) get cancelled after three episodes.
Old 08-30-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather see how this pans out instead of getting a shitty reboot, or a part IV.
Old 08-30-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by groucho
if axel foley is, in fact, the chief of police in detroit that would explain a lot.
nice!
Old 09-04-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/beve...on-commitment/

CBS just greenlit production on the Pilot. If they order it to series, Shawn Ryan would be the showrunner.
Old 09-04-12, 12:59 PM

‘Beverly Hills Cop’ Series Lands At CBS With Pilot Production Commitment
Sherlock Holmes, meet Axel Foley. In a very competitive situation, CBS, which has new Sherlock Holmes drama Elementary coming thus fall, has landed Beverly Hills Cop, a series offshoot from the blockbuster movie franchise. The films’ star Eddie Murphy and The Shield creator Shawn Ryan executive produce the Sony TV-produced project, which has received a pilot production commitment from CBS.

Ryan will serve as showrunner on the potential series, a sequel to the three movies which chronicled the exploits of wise-cracking Detroit detective Axel Foley (Murphy) in Los Angeles. The proposed series has a similar fish-out-of-water setup and centers on Axel Foley’s blue-collar police officer son, Aaron, who helps take down the criminal elements of the rich and famous in Beverly Hills, while trying to escape the shadow of his larger than life father. Murphy will reprise his role as Axel in pilot and may recur if the pilot goes to series. Ryan will write the pilot script and will executive produce the pilot with his producing partner at MiddKid Prods. Marney Hochman and Murphy.

Murphy had been trying to get a Beverly Hills Cop series about Axel’s son off the ground for about a year, after plans for a fourth movie were scrapped. He took the premise to his agency WME, which paired him with fellow client Ryan. Because of Ryan’s overall deal at Sony TV, the project was set up there after lengthy and complicated deal-making with Paramount Pictures, which produced the movies and will own a piece of the potential series.

Beverly Hills Cop, which was pitched to all four major broadcast networks last week, is right in CBS’ wheelhouse of light procedural with a male lead in the vein of NCIS, The Mentalist, Hawaii Five-0 and Elementary. CBS also likes taking on famous properties as evidenced by its successful reboot of Hawaii Five-0 and its upcoming Sherlock Holmes series Elementary.

This marks Ryan’s return to CBS where he executive produced and ran military drama The Unit. Just like he did back then, when he ran simultaneously The Unit and his FX cop drama The Shield, Ryan, managed by the Shuman Co., will shepherd the Beverly Hills Cop pilot while running the upcoming ABC drama Last Resort. Beverly Hills Cop also marks Ryan’s return to his comedy roots. He started off in half-hour comedy and did a three-year stint on CBS’ action comedy/drama Nash Bridges. His most recent dramedy effort was FX’s praised Terriers.

Murphy rose to prominence on TV as a star of Saturday Night Live before segueing to features. He returned to TV as creator of The Royal Family and co-creator of The PJs.

Beverly Hills Cop marks the second pilot production commitment for CBS this season, along with Backstrom, a drama based on the Backstrom books penned by Hart Hanson. Its series reboots in the works for next season include the Vince Vaughn-produced The Brady Bunch, which, like Beverly Hills Cop, is a sequel centered on one of the Bradys sons; and Have Gun – Will Travel, from The Unit creator David Mamet.
Old 09-04-12, 01:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

yay?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.