DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Michael J. Fox May Return to Television (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604021-michael-j-fox-may-return-television.html)

Mike86 08-16-12 12:57 PM

Michael J. Fox May Return to Television

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...-return-to-tv/
Michael J. Fox, who starred on the sitcom “Spin City” in the 1990s but stepped aside in 2000 as the symptoms of his Parkinson’s disease worsened, may return to network television next year.

Sony Pictures Television is developing a sitcom that would feature Mr. Fox for the television season that starts in the fall of 2013, according to an executive with direct knowledge of the matter. The person insisted on anonymity because the project had not been publicly announced by Sony.

All four of the major broadcast networks are interested in bidding on the project, according to the entertainment Web site Vulture, which was the first to report on it.

Mr. Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 1991 and later founded a nonprofit to provide financing for a search for a cure. Earlier this year he said in an ABC News interview that a new combination of drugs had helped him control his tics and tremors. As a result, he said, he had started to accept more acting work, including guest appearances on “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and “The Good Wife.”
No real news yet but I'd be down for this for sure if he is actually coming back. One of my favorite actors of all time and seems like a legitimately good person. The only thing that could be cooler is if him and Christopher Lloyd would team up with Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale to do a new Back to the Future. Probably will never happen though.

Deftones 08-16-12 12:59 PM

Re: Michael J. Fox May Return to Television

I read about this yesterday. Good for him. I wonder if it would be a show with a reduced season, just to help accommodate his medical condition.

cleaver 08-16-12 01:01 PM

He makes my Mount Rushmore of sitcom actors

RichC2 08-16-12 01:11 PM

The advancements in treating the symptoms of Parkinsons has been pretty impressive these last few years.

mhg83 08-16-12 01:35 PM

They're making a Shaker Heights tv series?

Bill Needle 08-16-12 02:27 PM

He was hilarious on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Groucho 08-16-12 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11349052)
The only thing that could be cooler is if him and Christopher Lloyd would team up with Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale to do a new Back to the Future.

Fox and Lloyd did lend their voices to the video game last year, which is probably as close as we're going to get.

Match 08-16-12 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11349236)
Fox and Lloyd did lend their voices to the video game last year, which is probably as close as we're going to get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to...me#Development

As Fox was unavailable to reprise his role as Marty for the game, newcomer AJ LoCascio voiced the character instead,[35] though Fox later provided voice work for Marty's great grandfather William in the fifth and final episode of the game, as well as for the three futuristic versions of Marty who appear in the game's final cutscene.[5][21][36] LoCascio was able to get the part when his audition sample ended up in the email inbox of voice director Julian Kwasneski, and managed to impress both Gale and Lloyd with how closely it resembled the sound of Fox's voice during the time the trilogy was filmed.[35] Lloyd returned to voice Doc Brown and began his first recording session for the game in late September 2010.[37] Later, Claudia Wells joined the cast, reprising her role as Jennifer Parker from the first film.[38] Kid Beyond provides the voice for Biff Tannen in place of actor Tom Wilson,[39] and James Arnold Taylor as the younger Emmett.[40] Though the game features other returning characters including George and Lorraine McFly, voicework for these characters are provided by a variety of available voice actors in the Bay Area.

kgrogers1979 08-16-12 08:04 PM

Yeah, Michael J Fox didn't voice Marty in Telltale's game. Here's a video of the actual voice actor.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ka5Ypwub2BA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deftones 08-16-12 08:28 PM

Groucho never said he voiced Marty, just that he did voicework. :shrug:

Obi-Wanma 08-16-12 09:47 PM

He voiced Marty's Great Grandfather, and
Spoiler:
Some older versions of Marty that appear at the end of the game

All his work was in Episode 5.

EDIT: And I just noticed that this info was in the first blub that Match quoted, so I don't know how he thinks that contradicts what Groucho said.

Shannon Nutt 08-17-12 10:23 AM

Yeah, I was just about to add that Michael did some voice work in the very last Chapter of the BTTF game.

Too much to hope for, but I'd love to see a new FAMILY TIES sitcom with Michael playing the father figure now.

Canis Firebrand 08-17-12 10:23 AM

It would be cool to see him in a show of his own again. He's been a strong character the times he was on episodes of The Good Wife.

Coral 08-17-12 12:06 PM

The LCD flatscreens today pretty much eliminate motion blur, so Michael J. Fox's return to TV shouldn't be an issue.

Drexl 08-17-12 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11350081)
Too much to hope for, but I'd love to see a new FAMILY TIES sitcom with Michael playing the father figure now.

That would be interesting, as the original show had liberal parents with a conservative kid. This time they could flip that around.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-17-12 03:22 PM

Don't do another Family Ties since remakes usually never work and if there is a Back to Future sequel it has to better than Back to Future III.

Drexl 08-17-12 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 11350514)
Don't do another Family Ties since remakes usually never work and if there is a Back to Future sequel it has to better than Back to Future III.

Maybe I was wrong about Shannon Nutt's post, but I assumed it wouldn't be a remake of the original FT, but rather a "sequel" show with Alex Keaton as the father.

kvrdave 08-17-12 06:11 PM

I love him on The Good Wife.

CharlieK 08-20-12 08:49 PM

NBC got it and promises to air all 22 episodes.

"The network also released a few more details on the as yet untitled comedy: "It features Fox as a husband and father of three from New York City dealing with family, career, and challenges -- including Parkinson’s -- all loosely drawn from Fox’s real life. Further casting will be announced at a later date."

The Bus 08-21-12 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 11349117)
they're making a shaker heights tv series?

Originally Posted by coral (Post 11350219)
the lcd flatscreens today pretty much eliminate motion blur, so michael j. Fox's return to tv shouldn't be an issue.

0/5

Deftones 08-21-12 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 11353904)
NBC got it and promises to air all 22 episodes.

"The network also released a few more details on the as yet untitled comedy: "It features Fox as a husband and father of three from New York City dealing with family, career, and challenges -- including Parkinson’s -- all loosely drawn from Fox’s real life. Further casting will be announced at a later date."

this really surprises me. i figured for sure it'd be a shorter commitment, something like 13 or 15 episodes. good for him, though.

RichC2 08-21-12 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 11354412)
this really surprises me. i figured for sure it'd be a shorter commitment, something like 13 or 15 episodes. good for him, though.

I'm surprised that NBC commits at all anymore, though The Firm was a huge success. This news should shake things up a little, at least have great ratings with its first episode.

Gizmo 08-21-12 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11354422)
I'm surprised that NBC commits at all anymore, though The Firm was a huge success. This news should shake things up a little, at least have great ratings with its first episode.

The Firm wasn't a huge success...

RichC2 08-21-12 09:36 AM

sorry, forgot the < /sarcasm>, it was one of the bigger duds of the year.

Gizmo 08-21-12 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11354446)
sorry, forgot the < /sarcasm>, it was one of the bigger duds of the year.

They didn't pay much for the show though. Like Cursoe mentioned earlier, the costs were split so it likely cost them the same as airing a repeat of a meh drama or even a reality show. So for NBC, it could actually be somewhat of a win.