Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Wouldn't that character be "re-introduced" in the next appearance? The Doctor will have a new companion by then to whom someone will have to explain the character's back story...
I don't the The Doctor ever told Amy or Rory about the events of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, at least not on screen.

Personally, if someone wanted to start Dr Who and wanted to jump in with the 11th Doctor, I would recommend they watch Blink from Season 3, then Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead before starting season 5, as those episodes relate directly to events in season 5 (and were, not surprisingly, written by Series 5 show runner Steven Moffat).

However, that's if they're watching it via online streaming like Netflix or Amazon Prime. If buying the sets on disc, I could see skipping those episodes and starting at 5, then going back to them later.
Old 12-11-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't the The Doctor ever told Amy or Rory about the events of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, at least not on screen.
Correct. But that's the whole point about the character's timeline. They knew the explanation and could have implied what happened to the character in that 2-parter no? "Spoilers, sweetie..."
Old 12-11-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Correct. But that's the whole point about the character's timeline. They knew the explanation and could have implied what happened to the character in that 2-parter no? "Spoilers, sweetie..."
Did you mean "inferred" instead of "implied"?

In any case, the way The Doctor first introduced them...
Spoiler:
it's not even clear how many times The Doctor had encountered River previously. All he says is "we keep meeting in the wrong order." I doubt The Doctor will explain any more to a new companion than he did to Amy (probably less).
Old 12-11-12, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to start with Tom Baker. Specifically, Genesis Of The Daleks, City Of Death, Robot (his first story), and Ark In Space. Next, I'd go with Jon Pertwee's Carnival Of Monsters, and The Green Death. Sylvester McCoy's Ghost Light, and Remembrance Of The Daleks. Peter Davison's Resurrection Of The Daleks, The Visitation, and Earthshock. After you've watched the show for a while, I'd watch The Five Doctors, which has the first five Doctors. Well, the first 4 Doctors. Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor, is only seen in unused footage from a never broadcast episode.
Old 12-11-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Time off over the hollidays is the best time to catch up with the original series. Recomendations listed below.
Great suggestions. I'm not a big fan of the pre-Baker era but you have picked some gems. For Baker I would add The Deadly Assassin. It's hugely significant in terms of Who lore, being the first episode set on Gallifrey and it's also perhaps the only time the Doctor goes an entire story without a companion.