Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

Old 08-02-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 354 Posts
Re: Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's the thing, Eccleston isn't the problem, I kinda like him. The show just has a low budget vibe that bugs me.
The budget improved as time goes on. However, in my view, producer Russell T Davis had a tendency to descend into camp, and I prefer the later Stephen Moffat helmed seasons. "Blink" is good in that it doesn't rely on special effects that much, so doesn't look low budget.
Old 08-02-12, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Another vote for starting with the 2005 series. I never watched the old Doctor Who and I've never had the urge to watch the low budget stuff. I'm sure it's charming but I have much better things I haven't gotten around to that I want to see.

By the way, it's always written "Doctor" and" not "Dr."
There are many Doctor Who fans who have never gotten into the pre-2005 material, which is a shame. Yes, the budgets are much lower, but the stories are often fantastic. Especially the Third through Fifth Doctors.

However, I think that starting with the 2005 series is the way to go. People complain about that series feeling low budget, and the budget on it is probably 10x what any previous season had (the TV movie notwithstanding).
Old 08-02-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts

I loved the Eccleston episodes but the Tennant ones seemed to drag for me. For me it was when his companion changed (don't want to say to much to spoil for the OP) and I don't think the ever found the right one for him after that.

For me the Matt Smith episodes work because of his companion.

For me it's much more about the companion and less about the Doctor.
Old 08-02-12, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The very first episode of the classic series ("An Unearthly Child") is worth seeing if you can, just to see how it all started. It's still extremely watchable on its own and William Hartnell has a great presence in it. The remaining caveman episodes in that serial are really boring, but that first one is awesome.
Old 08-02-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I loved the Eccleston episodes but the Tennant ones seemed to drag for me. For me it was when his companion changed (don't want to say to much to spoil for the OP) and I don't think the ever found the right one for him after that.

For me the Matt Smith episodes work because of his companion.

For me it's much more about the companion and less about the Doctor.
I'm the exact opposite. Tennant & Smith rank much higher then Eccleston
(who I found a bit too dull and brooding). I prefer the higher energy Doctors. Plus, then when slip into badass mode it has a much better impact.

So far I've liked all the companions save for the redhead with Tennant. I can't recall her name, but she started in a wedding episode. Her Dad I loved though, so she wasn't all bad.
Old 08-02-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
There are many Doctor Who fans who have never gotten into the pre-2005 material, which is a shame. Yes, the budgets are much lower, but the stories are often fantastic. Especially the Third through Fifth Doctors.

However, I think that starting with the 2005 series is the way to go. People complain about that series feeling low budget, and the budget on it is probably 10x what any previous season had (the TV movie notwithstanding).
I grew up with Doctor Who. My first experience was watching the Tom Baker run on PBS when I was in elementary school. I had a really great PBS station that played Doctor Who, Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, Blake's 7, The Outer Limits, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on a regular basis. At the time, the station was run by hardcore sci-fi fans.

At some point, I'd like to go back and rewatch all of the old Doctor Who episodes (at least the ones that still exist) and see how they hold up.

Gods, when I was in the fourth grade, Doctor Who was just about the most awesome thing I'd seen aside from the Star Wars trilogy. It was about this frizzy-haired guy, who just might be a bit of a lunatic, traveling through space and time in a little wooden blue box that was "bigger on the inside" with a jungle girl and mechanical dog, who fought robots and monsters.
Old 08-02-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Absolutely start with 2005, and more forward. Prepare to get addicted..
Old 08-02-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God, I liked her. She sort of reminds me of Kaylee of Firefly.
Old 08-15-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, as an update: I started with the 2005 series as recommended. I liked the premise of the show and most of the supporting cast, but I really did not like Eccleston. At all. He actually seemed somewhat insufferable to me. The cheap effects were a little offputting as well, but I was expecting that.

I've started the first Tennant season, and I'm up through the werewolf episode. It's immeasurably better so far. Looking forward to the rest...
Old 08-15-12, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

That's so weird, I think Tennant's first season was easily the weakest of all the new seasons up to this point. If you think that's good, wait till you get to seasons three and four!
Old 08-15-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
That's so weird, I think Tennant's first season was easily the weakest of all the new seasons up to this point. If you think that's good, wait till you get to seasons three and four!
His first season absolutely dragged for me. So many low budget, unintersting monster episodes.
Old 08-15-12, 02:24 PM

The Girl in the Fireplace is one of my all-time favorites, and the Cybermen two-parter was great, but I found the Tenth Doctor + Rose together to be completely insufferable, especially in those first few episodes. I really couldn't stand her by the end of the season.
Old 08-15-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Eccelsen was the bad ass doctor! his season did have some stinkers (not just talking about the farting aliens)
Old 08-15-12, 07:02 PM
Banned by request

I agree that Rose and Ten never had the chemistry Rose and Nine did. Now, Martha Jones, on the other hand...
Old 08-15-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by areacode212 View Post
The Girl in the Fireplace is one of my all-time favorites, and the Cybermen two-parter was great, but I found the Tenth Doctor + Rose together to be completely insufferable, especially in those first few episodes. I really couldn't stand her by the end of the season.
Forgot how much I loved The Girl in th Fireplace.
Old 08-16-12, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, Impossible Planet are my favorites.
Old 08-16-12, 12:42 PM

Ahh man, this makes me want to watch the whole series over again! I'm soo excited for Series 7 to be back next month, I've been hyped up since I saw the Doctor Who panel at Comic Con.
Old 09-19-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Any updates on your DW journey?
Old 09-19-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm afraid not. I took a hiatus to watch all of Breaking Bad again.
Old 12-09-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm jumping in with Season 5. Once I finish it through and go "live" (7.5) I'll go back to Season 1.

Only seen bits and pieces of various episodes through the years.
Old 12-09-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Time off over the hollidays is the best time to catch up with the original series. Recomendations listed below.

William Hartnell:
An Unearthly Child
The Dead Planet/and The Expedition (Introduction of the Daleks)
Dalek Invasion of Earth
The Tenth Planet (Introduction of the Cybermen)

Patrick Troughton (Many of his classic episodes have been loss due to lack of foresight):
Tomb of The Cybermen (Presumed loss, but recovered in a church)
The Invasion (First episode with Unit. Two of the episodes are missing, but on DVD they bridged the episodes together with animation.)
The War Games (Starts out slow, but ends with a bang!)

Jon Petwee:
All episodes from the first season
Spearhead from Space
Doctor Who and The Silurians
Ambasadors of Death
Inferno (Cool Alternate universe story)

Tom Baker:
Ark In Space
Genesis of The Daleks
Seeds of Doom
Pyramid of Mars
Talons of Weing Chiang
Horror of Fang Rock

Peter Davison:
The Black Orchid
The Caves of Androzani

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy's episodes are only suggested for die-hard Who fans.

I actually like the series better when he was just a TimeLord and not an omniscient TimeGod.
I guess it is just more a result of him being alive forever and having faced every kind of threat imaginable.
(Groundhog Day Theory!)

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 12-10-12 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a lot of original Whos as a kid, mostly Baker episodes, and then I also caught some of the PBS runs of the 80s series in the early 90s. I was late coming to the new series--didn't start watching until 2011. I really like both Tennant and Smith, but I never really warmed up to Eccleston. He's a fine actor, but he just didn't capture the character for me the way most of the other actors who played him have. And I must say, I never saw the appeal of Rose, either. I'll take Martha Jones over Rose any day of the week.

But yeah, I think you're missing a good deal of the Who universe if you don't explore the original series. I was not that familiar with the Doctors prior to Baker, but backtracking to those recently, I've really enjoyed a lot of those earlier stories.
Old 12-10-12, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I'm jumping in with Season 5. Once I finish it through and go "live" (7.5) I'll go back to Season 1.

Only seen bits and pieces of various episodes through the years.
I highly recommend watching Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead from Season 4 first. You're introduced to a recurring character and you'll want to be introduced here first. Seriously, you'll kick yourself if you watch it after you've seen 5-7.
Old 12-10-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Strafe View Post
I highly recommend watching Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead from Season 4 first. You're introduced to a recurring character and you'll want to be introduced here first. Seriously, you'll kick yourself if you watch it after you've seen 5-7.
Not sure I agree. Would keep a new viewer surprised for S5 and beyond.
Old 12-11-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Not sure I agree. Would keep a new viewer surprised for S5 and beyond.
Wouldn't that character be "re-introduced" in the next appearance? The Doctor will have a new companion by then to whom someone will have to explain the character's back story (possible spoiler0
Spoiler:
- though granted the reveals with Rory and Amy were rather majorly shocking but aren't relevant after the last episode.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.