TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- "Hazard Pay" -- 7/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- "Hazard Pay" -- 7/29/12

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I don't really understand Skylar's fear of Walt. Granted, my memory for how some of the final episodes of season 4 is a bit hazy...

But...Skylar found out about Walt's meth making, and decided to help him with it (on the business side). Now...I know on the S4 finale, she and the family were at Hank's house due to the perceived threat of violence against Hank.
When she agreed to help she thought Walt was merely a cook. To know he murdered someone so easy (threat or not) and with no remorse, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that this probably wasn't the first time.
Old 07-31-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also think that Skyler believes that Walt is responsible for Ted's current condition. Remember when she was trying to convince Walt that Ted would never talk? (In her mind, trying to save Ted's life.)
Old 07-31-12, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I personally think it was a red herring. I think if any scene foreshadows the end it'll be the one where Gus poisons all his partners and takes over the business. I can see the series ending with Walt taking out Jesse and/or Mike for full control of the business.
I saw another foreshadowing scene no one has mentioned. When Mike was divvying up the loot, he gave Walt a look at one point and said "Just cause you killed Jesse James, don't make you Jesse James". Robert Ford anyone?
Old 07-31-12, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sernov
I saw another foreshadowing scene no one has mentioned. When Mike was divvying up the loot, he gave Walt a look at one point and said "Just cause you killed Jesse James, don't make you Jesse James". Robert Ford anyone?
No one mentioned it because a reference that obvious can barely be called foreshadowing.
Old 07-31-12, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
After the car wash scene and after being woken by gunshots and walking in on the scene in the living room, I was really surprised that Skylark didn't completely lose it and start strangling Walt in front of her two children.
She was known as man-hands once!
Old 07-31-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Sernov
She was known as man-hands once!
No she wasn't...

Regarding the Hank and mineral stuff, I'll still be very surprised if that doesn't come into play at some point. The meth being blue will have to end up giving Hank a clue related to his mineral knowledge.
Old 07-31-12, 06:15 PM

The line that Mike said to Walt: "Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James."

I thought the extent of it was that Mike was saying that just because you killed Gus Fring doesn't signify that you're the equal of Gus Fring.

But this tv critic saw another layer of meaning to that line.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...-breaking-bad/

"Anyone familiar with the killing of Jesse James – or with the 2007 film The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - understands the subtext here. Mike is calling Walt a lesser man, a coward and a fool."

Last edited by Matt_; 07-31-12 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Who are An interesting turn would be the end with Jesse being the only one around, or survives whatever is coming, and sits down on the couch with a 'was it, or wasn't it' a deadly cig ending.
How exactly would one smoke a glass vial in a cigarette accidentally? Or even on purpose for that matter.
Old 07-31-12, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Why do these house tents for fumigating need to be such eyesores in the neighborhood?
Yeah, why can't they have pictures of trees and lakes on them?
Old 07-31-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_
The line that Mike said to Walt: "Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James."
I thought of the movie, and thought Mike was speaking highly of Gus.
Old 07-31-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Yeah, why can't they have pictures of trees and lakes on them?
cuz that would attract more bugs.
Old 07-31-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I guess it's just really, really hard to portray wives the right way and have them still be entertaining TV. The Shield had a similar problem... despite Vic Mackey being an utter creep and murderer, his wife was even more unlikeable than he was.
It's funny you mention that. Up until 2 weeks ago I had only seen scattered episodes of The Shield here and there, and enjoyed it. Initially I didn't think it was worthy of the praise it was getting, since it simply felt like an HBO show on basic cable (I was wrong -- the show is amazing). Now that I have Netflix, I started from the beginning and am now in to Season 5. I couldn't figure out why Vic's wife felt so out of place in the show, but she just kind of stuck out for whatever reason. I guess being married to the creator of the show has its perks.

She doesn't annoy me like Skyler does but she really sticks out like a sore thumb in The Shield compared to all of the other characters.

Also, Anna Gunn wasn't Man Hands but she was in an episode of Seinfeld which is what I initially knew her from. She was the girlfriend George thought he saw cheating on Jerry with his cousin Jeffrey.

Last edited by My Other Self; 07-31-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and think of all the birds that would fly into it.
Old 07-31-12, 11:29 PM

Old 08-01-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I guess being married to the creator of the show has its perks.

She doesn't annoy me like Skyler does but she really sticks out like a sore thumb in The Shield compared to all of the other characters.
Both her and the daughter (Chiklis's actual daughter) are the worst elements, but the show is one of my all time favorites.
Old 08-01-12, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcfly
I couldn't figure out why Vic's wife felt so out of place in the show, but she just kind of stuck out for whatever reason. I guess being married to the creator of the show has its perks.

It's because her acting is for crap. She sucks. Totally lucky to be married to Ryan. Unlucky for us, though, because we had to witness her trying to emote.

Anna Gunn, at least, has talent.
Old 08-01-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I also think that Skyler believes that Walt is responsible for Ted's current condition. Remember when she was trying to convince Walt that Ted would never talk? (In her mind, trying to save Ted's life.)
Does she? She set it all up through Saul, and I'm pretty sure she knows Saul's guys aren't exactly top of their game.
Old 08-01-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
Vince Gilligan said in an interview that Lance/Landry's (Jesse Plemmons) character "may not be what he appears." I figure he's working undercover on the exterminators and lucks into also being able to bust Walt's meth operation.

Last edited by Dubya; 08-01-12 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-01-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dubya
Spoiler:
Vince Gilligan said in an interview that Lance/Landry's (Jesse Plemmons) character "may not be what he appears." I figure he's working undercover on the exterminators and lucks into also being able to bust Walt's meth operation.
I hope not. That wouldn't be the best way to handle that, at least not for Breaking Bad. That would be too "easy", we are used to more quality from BB.

Last edited by Raul3; 08-01-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^^ That sounds like a spoiler that I'd rather not have known...
Old 08-01-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubya
If that's the case, that's one hell of a spoiler. But yeah, if he's something other than an exterminator-employee/thief, then the only other option really is some sort of undercover narc or informant.
Old 08-01-12, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by AVP77
I understood it as a threat to Jesse, as in 'Don't cook by yourself, or else'. It came a bit out of left field, but I guess they're trying to show Walt losing his grip?
It seemed more to me like he was thinking of going after Mike, rather than Jesse (as you said, a bit too out of left field) or Mike's guys (too hard to get to all of them, plus clearly Mike would then be coming after him anyway).

It was cool to see Scarface, but it seemed almost too on-the-nose a reference/foreshadowing, given how Gilligan's Breaking Bad pitch was turning "Mr. Chips into Scarface". At least we didn't get to see what happens to Tony at the very end of that scene.

I really enjoyed Betsy Brandt's acting. I saw Marie on some list of "TV characters who have become unnecessary" the other day. Nonsense, I say...I always find her appearances really fun.
Old 08-01-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about putting spoilers on whatever was said in that interview?
Old 08-01-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Done, but if the creator of the show gives an interview to Entertainment Weekly and doesn't indicate it as a spoiler then I assume he has no problem with it being known.
Old 08-01-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It doesn't help much if the original post is now spoilered but it is still quoted in other posts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.