Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- "Hazard Pay" -- 7/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- "Hazard Pay" -- 7/29/12

Fantastic episode. I love the new direction of the "company." So their back to a mobile lab, of sorts. I think that was just a stroke of genius. Cooking at other peoples houses means there is no single lab that Hank is looking for. I guess storing supplies at the Pest place is still considered a "home base" but it's definitely the right fit for the operation.

I didn't see it mentioned but the look Walt gave Brock said to me that he had no intention of the kid living. He just had that look of disgust about him and looked at Brock like he was a loose end.

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Walt geeking on Scarface. Watching that film's final scene, where it all comes apart and the drug lord who went too far is wasting everyone with a machine gun? "Everyone gets killed in this." That is definitely a foreshadowing scene.
I'm surprised you're the first and only to mention this. Out of the entire episode I think that line may be the most important in regards to the future. At least that's what I took away from this episode.

Originally Posted by Deftones
wasn't his deal about $7 million with gus? so he's getting a little less, yet he's his own boss now. seems like that's a win/win to me.
I thought his deal was $3 mil for 3 months and after that it essentially doubled. $6-7mil for 3 months. I'm sure someone else can pull up a chart or something though.

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
That Lance kid sure has fallen since high school : ( Coach Taylor needs to go help him get his life together.
Old 07-31-12, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AVP77
I noticed that as well, but another thing to keep in mind is that it's actually about 5 years ago, by the show's timeline. HD flatscreens of that size would still be a somewhat luxury item.
No its not. The Challanger hasnt been out for 5 years. Its only been out for about 3 years
Old 07-31-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Did anyone else find it almost laughable when Skyler went nuts and Marie was telling her to chill out? I really don't like Anna Gunn so as mean as it is, I get some enjoyment seeing her character buried in the corner. I just wonder when she'll totally crack. Her being so distant and stand-offish this first half of the season is understandable but her character is just kind of a waste.
You're right. Schooner was sort of fun last season when she was getting her toes into the game (and it almost seemed like Walt had unleashed a monster at certain points). But she's just wretched to watch now.

I guess it's just really, really hard to portray wives the right way and have them still be entertaining TV. The Shield had a similar problem... despite Vic Mackey being an utter creep and murderer, his wife was even more unlikeable than he was.
Old 07-31-12, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Me007gold
No its not. The Challanger hasnt been out for 5 years. Its only been out for about 3 years
From Wikipedia:
On December 3, 2007, Chrysler started taking deposits for the third-generation Dodge Challenger which debuted on February 6, 2008
By February 2012, they were 4 years old. By now, they're close to 4.5 years.
Old 07-31-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
From Wikipedia:

By February 2012, they were 4 years old. By now, they're close to 4.5 years.
5 > 4.5
Old 07-31-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
That Lance kid sure has fallen since high school : ( Coach Taylor needs to go help him get his life together.
Old 07-31-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Me007gold
5 > 4.5
Oh for the love of Christ, it's a TV show, sometimes they take creative license.
Old 07-31-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
I think Walt respects Jesse more than anyone else right now, but of course Walt is going to continue to put himself first and he's not above continuing to manipulate him if necessary.
Walt doesn't respect anyone. He keeps Jesse around at this point because he knows he has Jesse wrapped around his little finger.

Of course, he might be wrong about that. Walt isn't smart.
Old 07-31-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Oh for the love of Christ, it's a TV show, sometimes they take creative license.
I think he was kidding...
Old 07-31-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
After the car wash scene and after being woken by gunshots and walking in on the scene in the living room, I was really surprised that Skylark didn't completely lose it and start strangling Walt in front of her two children. I predict that she will attempt (or start planning) to kill Walt next week. Fight or flight.
I think she could easily do it if she really wanted to - she's like twice Walt's size!
Old 07-31-12, 10:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I'd love to see Walt feel the need to get rid of Hank for a while, release some bugs in Hank's house to make him want to get his place bug bombed and cook in a DEA agent's house.
I think that's a good prediction, but I think it'll be a coincidence, not part of Walt's plan/scheming.

Meaning, Hank & Marie's house will just happen to be infested... they'll call the exterminators, and for one reason or another, their house will be the only one that Walt & Jesse can actually cook in. It's a bit of a stretch, but possible... and it'd be incredibly entertaining.
Old 07-31-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Hank getting taken down in such a manner wouldn't be fitting of how smart his character is. He'll have to figure out Walt is Heisenberg via some detective work, he can't get taken down like that. Besides, this series has already used up it's huge coincidence with the airplane in season 2!
Old 07-31-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm surprised you're the first and only to mention this. Out of the entire episode I think that line may be the most important in regards to the future. At least that's what I took away from this episode.
I personally think it was a red herring. I think if any scene foreshadows the end it'll be the one where Gus poisons all his partners and takes over the business. I can see the series ending with Walt taking out Jesse and/or Mike for full control of the business.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walt didn't die at all. In the end, I think we'll look back on this as the coming of age story of a drug kingpin... not the rise and fall of a meth cook.

I think the last thing he needs to do to get there is to 'earn' Mike's fear. While Mike and Gus seemed to have a nice working relationship, you knew at the end of the day Mike feared and respected Gus. There are a few ways for Walt to earn that respect, one way would be by killing Jesse in cold blood.
Old 07-31-12, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Who are the cigarette smokers still around? Jesse and Skymore, anyone else?

Since we still have the cigarette insert around, I could see either of them end up with it, especially with the mild emphasis and mentions of Skylab smoking again.

An interesting turn would be the end with Jesse being the only one around, or survives whatever is coming, and sits down on the couch with a 'was it, or wasn't it' a deadly cig ending.

But all signs seem to point to the wife, this show is pretty deliberate with its clues.
Old 07-31-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I didn't see it mentioned but the look Walt gave Brock said to me that he had no intention of the kid living. He just had that look of disgust about him and looked at Brock like he was a loose end.
I had kind of a mixed reaction in that scene. It did seem like he was uncomfortable with being there in the same room with him. It looked like he could either be viewing Brock as a loose end that will ultimately lead to fallout between him and Jesse, or the scene could be that Walt was actually feeling a bit disgusted with himself for trying to kill a child.
Old 07-31-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I wouldn't be surprised if Walt didn't die at all. In the end, I think we'll look back on this as the coming of age story of a drug kingpin... not the rise and fall of a meth cook.
But in the flash forward in ep1 this season it seems like his cancer has returned, I don't think he'd be a kingpin for very long if that's the case. Dramatically, I'm more interested in a rise & fall story, than just a scorched earth rise story. I think that line about watching Scarface is absolute foreshadowing, although I hope Jesse gets spared.

Why do these house tents for fumigating need to be such eyesores in the neighborhood?
Old 07-31-12, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Who are the cigarette smokers still around? Jesse and Skymore, anyone else?

Since we still have the cigarette insert around, I could see either of them end up with it, especially with the mild emphasis and mentions of Skylab smoking again.

An interesting turn would be the end with Jesse being the only one around, or survives whatever is coming, and sits down on the couch with a 'was it, or wasn't it' a deadly cig ending.

But all signs seem to point to the wife, this show is pretty deliberate with its clues.
Like someone said before, the ricin was never intended to be administered via smoking a cigarette. That was just a method of keeping it concealed, and even now the drug is just in a vial behind the electrical outlet.
Old 07-31-12, 12:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Hank getting taken down in such a manner wouldn't be fitting of how smart his character is. He'll have to figure out Walt is Heisenberg via some detective work, he can't get taken down like that. Besides, this series has already used up it's huge coincidence with the airplane in season 2!
I don't think Hank will get taken down. I think, continuing with the thought that his house ends up in the hands of the exterminators, he'll finally suspect Walt and put all the pieces together. But I think Walt will run (as implied by the beginning of episode 1 of this season) and Jesse will take an immunity deal with the DEA to bring Walt down for good.
Old 07-31-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it definitely looks like Hank is putting the pieces together, he seems to be the smartest one on the show (probably always was).
Old 07-31-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't really understand Skylar's fear of Walt. Granted, my memory for how some of the final episodes of season 4 is a bit hazy...

But...Skylar found out about Walt's meth making, and decided to help him with it (on the business side). Now...I know on the S4 finale, she and the family were at Hank's house due to the perceived threat of violence against Hank.

Did Skylar know about Gus specifically, and who he was? I'm trying to remember or figure out how Walt proactively killing a man who threatened the entire White family (Gus dragged Walt out in the desert and told him that he would kill everyone he knew, including his infant daughter) is somehow reason for her to be scared of *Walt*.

I could more understand it if she said she's concerned with potential retaliation from whoever Gus works for. But she specifically told Walt "I'm scared...of you."

Walt's not a good guy by any stretch, but killing Gus (at least in the short term) keeps their family safer, so what's with her overflowing fear?
Old 07-31-12, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah, it definitely looks like Hank is putting the pieces together, he seems to be the smartest one on the show (probably always was).
I need to go back and watch a lot of this again.. But to the Hank point did we ever get anything out of the rock/mineral collecting he was doing? Or is that something that may still payoff?
Old 07-31-12, 01:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Walt's not a good guy by any stretch, but killing Gus (at least in the short term) keeps their family safer, so what's with her overflowing fear?
I think, prior to that, she kind of ignored the fact that Walt was capable of killing people if he had to. She was going along with it all because, in a way, it wasn't REAL to her. I think Gus' death represented reality finally setting in for Skittles. That, and Ted's accident, which never would have happened if Walt wasn't cooking meth.
Old 07-31-12, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I don't really understand Skylar's fear of Walt. Granted, my memory for how some of the final episodes of season 4 is a bit hazy...

But...Skylar found out about Walt's meth making, and decided to help him with it (on the business side). Now...I know on the S4 finale, she and the family were at Hank's house due to the perceived threat of violence against Hank.

Did Skylar know about Gus specifically, and who he was? I'm trying to remember or figure out how Walt proactively killing a man who threatened the entire White family (Gus dragged Walt out in the desert and told him that he would kill everyone he knew, including his infant daughter) is somehow reason for her to be scared of *Walt*.

I could more understand it if she said she's concerned with potential retaliation from whoever Gus works for. But she specifically told Walt "I'm scared...of you."

I think it started with the whole "I'm the one who knocks" conversation, seeing that he was no longer the sad sack guy she knew before...and then when the explosion happened and she realized he was capable of that, yeah, I can see why she has no clue how far he'll take things/is he crazy now?
Old 07-31-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
I need to go back and watch a lot of this again.. But to the Hank point did we ever get anything out of the rock/mineral collecting he was doing? Or is that something that may still payoff?
At first I thought he was trying to understand the science behind it and maybe it had a similarity in crystalline structure to meth or something, but looking back it's just something he did to pass the time, he was bored as hell laying in bed all day. I'm sure he'd rather have been working on Schraderbrau.
Old 07-31-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
I think she could easily do it if she really wanted to - she's like twice Walt's size!
Maybe that's what the machine gun is for?

Originally Posted by Goat3001
In the end, I think we'll look back on this as the coming of age story of a drug kingpin... not the rise and fall of a meth cook.
I actually agree, but I think it's going to be Jesse. I'd almost put money on it at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.