Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee -- Jerry Seinfeld (now on Netflix)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee -- Jerry Seinfeld (now on Netflix)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 12:29 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee -- Jerry Seinfeld (now on Netflix)

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Weird that there was already a Ricky Gervais episode.
There's been repeats before...Baldwin, Einstein, Reagan. Sebastian Maniscalco has been on before too.
Old 07-02-19, 02:23 PM

<iframe width="697" height="392" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9du4v9_8PRA?list=PLZQfnFyelTBOQ15kmHSgEbdjzLMWzZpL7" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hop in for a ride with Jerry Seinfeld, Eddie Murphy, Seth Rogen, Melissa Villaseņor, Ricky Gervais, Jamie Foxx, and many more in a new season of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Streaming July 19 on Netflix.
Old 07-04-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There's been repeats before...Baldwin, Einstein, Reagan. Sebastian Maniscalco has been on before too.
Not too surprising that there are some repeats as Sebastian Maniscalco is becoming the "hot comedy guy" out right now so why not capitalize on that.
Old 07-19-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Reminder, this dropped today.
Old 07-19-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Watched the Murphy, Gervais, and Rogan segments and found them all to be just "meh". Nothing made me laugh all that hard. Some clever witticisms as usual. Wasn't all that interested in the remaining subjects.
Old 07-20-19, 03:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Watched the Murphy, Gervais, and Rogan segments and found them all to be just "meh". Nothing made me laugh all that hard. Some clever witticisms as usual. Wasn't all that interested in the remaining subjects.
it's not billed as a comedy. it's 2 comedians talking about life, the craft of comedy, etc. over a cup of coffee, driving and/or meal. they aren't doing standup for the cameras. just enjoying company talking over stuff as friends with no cameras or people. it's enjoyable and interesting at times, but i never laughed hard at this show...
Old 07-20-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In the Bridget Everett segment, I wonder who the comedian that they mention and they had to completely edit out the name. Jerry even dropped numerous f-bombs talking about how unfunny he is.

Half the fun of this show are the cars. And one segment doesn't have a car for the first time.
Old 07-20-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
In the Bridget Everett segment, I wonder who the comedian that they mention and they had to completely edit out the name. Jerry even dropped numerous f-bombs talking about how unfunny he is.

Half the fun of this show are the cars. And one segment doesn't have a car for the first time.
I read something online theorizing it may be Bobcat Golthwait
Old 07-20-19, 08:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

The Eddie Murphy and Seth Rogen eps were very enjoyable...
Old 07-20-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
I read something online theorizing it may be Bobcat Golthwait
Hmmmm. They even covered his lips so you couldn't read what the name was.
Old 07-22-19, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like comedy.
I like cars.
I like coffee.
I don't like Seinfeld...way overrated IMO.
Old 07-22-19, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

The Eddie Murphy episode was fascinating, and a little bit sad. I wonder does Murphy really want to do stand-up again, or does he just say so because he knows so many people want him to? All through the episode he keeps talking about returning to stand-up, but it doesn't sound at all like he's actually been working on anything. He reminds of me those people who spend years saying, "I'm gonna...", but never do.

I loved hearing him talk more in-depth about his infamous phone call from Bill Cosby.

I really wish Seinfeld had been doing this show when Carlin was still alive. I'd loved to have seen Seinfeld talking to him about comedy.
Old 07-22-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
The Eddie Murphy episode was fascinating, and a little bit sad. I wonder does Murphy really want to do stand-up again, or does he just say so because he knows so many people want him to? All through the episode he keeps talking about returning to stand-up, but it doesn't sound at all like he's actually been working on anything. He reminds of me those people who spend years saying, "I'm gonna...", but never do.

I loved hearing him talk more in-depth about his infamous phone call from Bill Cosby.

This was probably the most probing interview with Murphy in years as I think he was willing to open up to Jerry since they go back to their early days of Comedy Clubs. It's was almost like he let his guard down after all these years and it makes alot of sense why he quit Standup. The Joan Rivers/Edgar jokes analogy was very interesting and that is why I don't think he can come back to standup. His point is that you have to try alot of material out in clubs and work your bits through to see what works, as you don't just go out and do a 1 hour standup. He got so big, that even the bits he was trying were getting publicity as the Edgar/Joan Rivers joke got him alot of shit at the time. There is no way he can go back to the clubs now and try material out because every damn person is going to have their phone out and televise it to the world. Even if he is able to ban smart phones from his standup, you know that somebody is going to film it and leak it out. Sadly, this is where the internet and social media has ruined our society, because everyone will critique it and comment on it even if his standup is a work in progress.

In saying that, I have read a few articles who discussed this issue and Netflix was pushing Jerry to interview Eddie. They are prepared to offer him 70 million to do a standup special(s), so Jerry asking him about returning was not something off the cuff. As much as I would love to see Eddie come back, party of me doesn't want to because he essentially retired on top after 'Raw' and 'Delirious.' Do we want to see his standup career end up the way of his movie career where he becomes a punchline? The guy was the King in the 1980's, and sometimes not coming back and leaving people wanting more is the best way to retire.

And let me say I think Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby were very threatened by Eddie's success as he essentially dethroned them as the King of Comedy (let alone King of Black Comedy). I do remember Eddie saying that Pryor got pissed off when they were shooting 'Harlem Nights' and he wasn't getting top billing, so these guys all have big egos. I think Cosby is sort of old school and just thought Eddie was a foul mouth comedian (which he was wrong), but it still wasn't his place to tell someone how to execute their act. As Richard Pryor told Eddie, "Do you get paid when you make the people laugh? Then I'd tell Bill to have a Coke and a smile and shut the F*** up!"

Last edited by mcnabb; 07-22-19 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

This new season has been great. We watched all of them through Sebastian Maniscalo and every one of them have been very good. I was surprised the Seth Rogan one was even good. I can't stand him.
Old 07-23-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've finished the latest season and have always enjoyed the series. He seems to have book-ended it, though, with that last episode. It seems like that may be it.
Old 07-26-19, 06:11 PM

I’ve watched through Foxx’s episode and have laughed at every episode.
Old 07-26-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

The Jamie Foxx one was really good. Though that diner booth was really small haha
Old 07-27-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Eddie's house is beautiful!
Old 08-01-19, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
just enjoying company talking over stuff as friends with no cameras or people.
what
Old 08-04-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
The Jamie Foxx one was really good. Though that diner booth was really small haha
That was all I could focus on. His arm was in the other couples booth the whole time.
Old 08-26-19, 04:15 PM

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DqbvsDt_D3o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>