Reload this Page >

The Newsroom -- "I'll Try To Fix You" -- 7/15/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Newsroom -- "I'll Try To Fix You" -- 7/15/12

Old 07-16-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "I'll Try To Fix You" -- 7/15/12

People in this forum are complaining about a hot chick sending her boyfriend pics of where to stick it? I've seen it all. Yeah, like you wouldn't want that. I haven't seen the latest episode (and probably won't since I didn't care much for the first few eps), but I don't get the universal hate for this chick. I've never heard of her before this show (but I remember hearing about some hot celeb sending such texts).
Old 07-16-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
People in this forum are complaining about a hot chick sending her boyfriend pics of where to stick it? I've seen it all. Yeah, like you wouldn't want that. I haven't seen the latest episode (and probably won't since I didn't care much for the first few eps), but I don't get the universal hate for this chick. I've never heard of her before this show (but I remember hearing about some hot celeb sending such texts).
She used some computer program to do it. It looked like a PowerPoint slide.
Old 07-16-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard this was already renewed for another season. That was news to me at least.
Old 07-16-12, 10:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like I'm the lone dissenter here...this episode was TERRIBLE. The dialogue during the party was atrocious, and the bigfoot joke wore out it's welcome quickly.

That said, the last few minutes (the Giffords stuff) was outstanding.
Old 07-16-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 154 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I've heard this was already renewed for another season. That was news to me at least.
It was renewed for a 2nd season after the 2nd episode "News Night 2.0". It was posted in that thread.
Old 07-16-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like this show and if this wasn't better than the first episode, it was really close.
Old 07-16-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It was renewed for a 2nd season after the 2nd episode "News Night 2.0". It was posted in that thread.
Oops.

Just to comment more on the episode, I loved his dialogue with the TMI reporter. The stuff about the takedown piece and saying "... I'd respect you more if you were a heroine dealer." was awesome and him expecting her not to get upset was even better.
Old 07-17-12, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will expecting Hope (TMI) not to get upset wasn't one of the stronger aspects of the episode for me. It's the kind of thing that's entertaining within the confises of a TV show, but in real life nobody is that obtuse. We've been sold previously on how intelligent he is. Sure there are intelligent people who do dumb things, but that whole aspect of Will's personality in this episode didn't work for me. I'd rather he be a realistic smart guy -- kind of like Jed Bartlett.
Old 07-17-12, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

I really liked this episode and thought it was the strongest of the season thus far. Not sure where the critics were coming from saying that the show goes downhill after episode one. The only episode I didn't feel was as strong as the rest so far was the second but even it wasn't that bad. The last ten minutes or so with the Giffords stuff was great. I'm still a bit undecided on the Jim/Maggie/Don love triangle going on. I didn't hate it in this episode but it does feel like it's tacked on just for the sake of having it. I also was getting sick of Neil keeping on with the Big Foot stuff after about the second time he brought it up. Other than that though really good stuff this episode.
Old 07-17-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Network TV shlock that made it to HBO.

I like the premise but can't stand the staff of idiots running the newscast.

I like the issues stuff, once it goes into personal stuff (or Bigfoot nonsense) you lose me.

I liked McAvoy calling out the lies about Obama and guns. I've had that same discussion with various Obama-hating gun owners.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-17-12 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
She used some computer program to do it. It looked like a PowerPoint slide.
And you hate her for using Powerpoint?
Old 07-17-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Four episodes in and not a bad show yet...at this rate, THE NEWSROOM may replace HOMELAND as my favorite current series on the air. I'm already close to calling it my favorite HBO show, and that's saying a mouthful there. Why critics took a dump on the episodes after the pilot I have no idea - perhaps out of shame? (The show has a fun time showing how most other news organizations get it wrong.)
Yeah, it's really difficult for Sorkin to get the news right when he's making the show two years later.

This show is a fucking trainwreck.
Old 07-17-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Looks like I'm the lone dissenter here...this episode was TERRIBLE. The dialogue during the party was atrocious, and the bigfoot joke wore out it's welcome quickly.

That said, the last few minutes (the Giffords stuff) was outstanding.
Calling the Bigfoot nonsense a joke is being extremely charitable. After the second time he would have been pulled aside and "talked to", and after calling everyone into the office on a Saturday morning to listen to a fucking presentation about Bigfoot, he would have been fired. Why didn't they all just get up and leave? Oh right, because Giffords was about to get shot and they all needed to be there.
Old 07-17-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My least favorite episode so far. Not getting into any of the character dynamics here. I'd love for them to just settle who likes who, and then focus more on their working relationships / media stuff.

I did like the realization that the corporation's own gossip rag was after MacCavoy, setting the table for his departure should it come to that.

The Giffords stuff at the end was moving and well done, but they got a lot of help from Coldplay.
Old 07-17-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Calling the Bigfoot nonsense a joke is being extremely charitable. After the second time he would have been pulled aside and "talked to", and after calling everyone into the office on a Saturday morning to listen to a fucking presentation about Bigfoot, he would have been fired. Why didn't they all just get up and leave? Oh right, because Giffords was about to get shot and they all needed to be there.
He didn't call them all in to hear a Bigfoot presentation. They were all called in by Sam Waterston to address the tabloid situation. They were just not part of the discussion yet and were waiting in the conference room.
Old 07-17-12, 09:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
The Giffords stuff at the end was moving and well done, but they got a lot of help from Coldplay.
I was waiting for a cutaway gag where you could see the band playing in a conference room.

We're now in 2011 show time. Based on this pace, it seems that they're setting up the election as the focal point for season 2. I predict that News Night will be the first network to get the Obamacare story right. Mac: "Let's wait for all the facts before we report that the mandate is unconstitutional" / Stuffy Executive: "No, run the story NOW! We're bleeding viewers!"
Old 07-17-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He didn't call them all in to hear a Bigfoot presentation. They were all called in by Sam Waterston to address the tabloid situation. They were just not part of the discussion yet and were waiting in the conference room.
What? No they weren't. Why the hell would the staff get called in to be in the TMI meeting? Also, they weren't in the TMI meeting.
Old 07-17-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What? No they weren't. Why the hell would the staff get called in to be in the TMI meeting? Also, they weren't in the TMI meeting.
Right, I said they weren't in the meeting yet. They were waiting in the conference room. When a situation such as that happens, a high-profile PR situation, you call in the staff and once that smaller meeting ends you explain it to them, and how it's going to be dealt with.
Old 07-17-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, I said they weren't in the meeting yet. They were waiting in the conference room. When a situation such as that happens, a high-profile PR situation, you call in the staff and once that smaller meeting ends you explain it to them, and how it's going to be dealt with.
Maybe. I don't care enough to keep arguing it. It's not the stupidest thing in the episode by a long shot.
Old 07-17-12, 10:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm liking the show. Politics aside, it's been engrossing and a great vehicle for Daniels. This week's was a pretty solid episode.
Old 07-17-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Am I the only one that sees this is a bigger budget, and not as good remake of NewsRadio?
Old 07-17-12, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

We're now in 2011 show time. Based on this pace, it seems that they're setting up the election as the focal point for season 2. I predict that News Night will be the first network to get the Obamacare story right. Mac: "Let's wait for all the facts before we report that the mandate is unconstitutional" / Stuffy Executive: "No, run the story NOW! We're bleeding viewers!"
Technically it was only CNN and Fox that gave out the incorrect reporting regarding the mandate. Everyone else pretty much waited until they could finish reading the decision. So them being part of those who waited wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities, considering the entire health care ruling (from the time the decision was handed out to Fox and CNN saying it was unconstitutional to getting that decision reversed on air) took less than 15 minutes in all.
Old 07-17-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Derrich View Post
Am I the only one that sees this is a bigger budget, and not as good remake of Sports Night?
Fixed.
Old 07-17-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, it's really difficult for Sorkin to get the news right when he's making the show two years later.

This show is a fucking trainwreck.
Sorkin has said the show is (in his mind's eye) a fantasy about a news crew that gets it right...he's well aware that hindsight is 20/20.
Old 07-17-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't believe that is true. McAvoy was called in for the tabloid, not the nameless minions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.