Reload this Page >

Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Live Free or Die" -- 7/15/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Live Free or Die" -- 7/15/12

Old 07-17-12, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Live Free or Die" -- 7/15/12

Yeah, Jim Beaver is always a welcome presence.
Old 07-17-12, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And I'm going to guess you are wrong. I think it's going to be related to THIS segment's finale. Not the series.
The 1st 3 seasons apparrently only cover 7 months of Walt's life. Give or take 4-5 months in season 4, the show so far has covered 1 year of Walt's life.

http://www.vulture.com/2011/07/break..._calendar.html

The flash forward is 1 year later from the events of episode 1. So there has to be a major time jump at some point. I think it's too soon to jump forward 1 year in episode 8. In season 2 when Gilligan used the Pink bear in the pool as the opening shot for the season, he said he wanted to use that as a motif to set up how the season eventually concludes. So that's why I don't think he will be using the Denny's scene as the end point for episode 8.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-17-12 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the talk of 'bloodbath' by those in the know fits in nicely with an M60 being involved with the end.

With an M60 and two cans, you can most certainly pull off a 'bloodbath'.
Old 07-17-12, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kind of surprised Walt would be going the M60 route...figured he'd stick to explosives.
Old 07-17-12, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering if it was ever explained or shown just how the poison was administered to Brock? ( the kid ).
And what was it that Saul had that Walt got back?, I could not make out what it was ( it was in the plastic bag )
Old 07-17-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by metman86
Was wondering if it was ever explained or shown just how the poison was administered to Brock? ( the kid ).
And what was it that Saul had that Walt got back?, I could not make out what it was ( it was in the plastic bag )
It was the ricen-laced cigarette that Jesse thought the kid took.

They won't show how it got administered because it's not important. I assume a flower sandwich myself.
Old 07-17-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
That was so fucking awesome premiere! I wonder what the note under the photograph means? Anyone have a screencap of that shot?
Found a good one.

Old 07-17-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

On the magnet scheme, my thought was that a police evidence room would ideally be constructed as a large Faraday Cage to prevent someone from succeeding at a plan like this, especially given that it would help to protect evidence and wouldn't cost much to make the room that way.

But, whatever, this show exists in its own world and the way that scene played out was pretty cool.
Old 07-18-12, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

'Breaking Bad': Two Surprising Actors Who Could Have Taken Bryan Cranston's Role
7:07 PM PDT 7/16/2012 by THR Staff

The Emmy-winning actor wasn't executives' first choice to play chemistry teacher-turned-meth dealer Walter White on the AMC drama.

For fans of Breaking Bad, it might be hard to imagine anyone other than Bryan Cranston as Walter White.

In fact, Emmy voters find Cranston so good in his portrayal of a chemistry teacher-turned-meth dealer they have rewarded him with three statuettes.

But the actor previously best known for playing the dad on Fox's Malcolm in the Middle wasn't the first choice of network AMC or production company Sony Pictures Television.

Series creator Vince Gilligan had been impressed with Cranston's 1998 guest-starring turn on The X-Files, on which he played a desperate man suffering from radiation exposure, and pushed for the actor. But the suits had trouble envisioning Fox's suburban dad as their star and wanted to cast a big-name movie star.

Their picks? John Cusack or Matthew Broderick.

"We all still had the image of Bryan shaving his body in Malcolm in the Middle. We were like, 'Really? Isn't there anybody else?' " one former exec recalled in a cover story for The Hollywood Reporter.

But Cusack and Broderick both passed. And after Gilligan showed execs Cranston's X-Files episode, minds began to change.

"That was a tricky part to cast on X-Files," Gilligan said. "We needed somebody who could be dramatic and scary yet have an underlying humanity so when he dies, you felt sorry for him. Bryan nailed it."

The role was initially conceived for a 40-year-old -- Cranston is now 56 -- but AMC requested the change in age.

"We pushed for him to be 50 because at 40 he's a little too young to have this crisis," former AMC vp production Vlad Wolynetz said. "It was just so much more impactful to have him a little bit older."

As for Cranston, Breaking Bad offered the type of challenge and creative freedom he craved after years on a network sitcom.

"I wanted a change of pace, and whether that meant a comedy or drama, it was going to be different because I didn't need the money anymore," he said. "And I never wanted to be in a position where I should make a creative decision based on financial need. I didn't want a 'job.' I didn't need to work ever again."

Breaking Bad returned for its fifth and final season Sunday night, drawing a record 2.9 million viewers in its 10 p.m. slot.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ite-amc-349840

I like Cusack and Broderick, but Cranston has so inhabited the role I can't imagine anyone else in it.
Old 07-18-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Broken laptop aside, I'm still wondering how they knew the laptop would be in the evidence room at that given time. I know they called the previous night for confirmation, but who's to say the hard drive contents weren't being analyzed in some lab the next day?

Other than that I loved it.

I miss Gus.
Old 07-18-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
so Walt has a brand new Charger out of nowhere?
I didn't see anyone answer this, probably because it falls at the end of the page for most on standard settings.

Anyway, isn't that the car he bought for his son?
Old 07-18-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I didn't see anyone answer this, probably because it falls at the end of the page for most on standard settings.

Anyway, isn't that the car he bought for his son?
I thought he blew that one up
Old 07-18-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought he blew that one up
He blew up the red challenger. I believe he and Skyler bought Walt Junior another car soon afterwards (Charger).
Old 07-18-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

D'oh - thanks guys. My memory is shit between seasons.
Old 07-18-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
He blew up the red challenger. I believe he and Skyler bought Walt Junior another car soon afterwards (Charger).
I thought they got him a butt-ugly PT Cruiser?
Old 07-18-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flynn got a PT Cruiser as a gift.
Old 07-18-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Right, and Skylols bought him a PT Cruiser
Old 07-18-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it was a PT Cruiser that Skyylarrrk picked out, hilariously, like the moron she is, claiming she had 'done her research' on. Walt Jr did not care for it.

Old 07-18-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had forgotten about all the Skylurd misspellings from the previous season...haha did someone already come in and scold everyone about how her name is spelled?
Old 07-18-12, 03:26 PM

That white car he's driving is, I believe, the same one he's been driving ever since he wrecked the Aztec. We don't know if it's a rental or if the Aztec is done for, but it's not the first time we've seen it.
Old 07-18-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xVladx
That white car he's driving is, I believe, the same one he's been driving ever since he wrecked the Aztec. We don't know if it's a rental or if the Aztec is done for, but it's not the first time we've seen it.
That's what I thought as well.
Old 07-18-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I want a car with an M60 and two .30cal ammo cans in the trunk
Old 07-19-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407192,00.asp
Old 07-19-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure this is the longest BB thread in this forum.

Edit to add: Besides the "Does Breaking Bad ever get good?" thread, of course.
Old 07-19-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by StephenX
For those who are watching this show on AMC for the first time, every season there are a few who are like "This is good, but slow and not as exciting as previous seasons.."

It's normal, this show is a slow burn then usually goes off the rails halfway through the season. And when you watch it week-to-week and not dvd/bd, it does feel slower. However, since this season is broken up, I'm curious as to whether that will happen. Regardless, just keep paying attention, these little minute details really stick out when you're not flying through it and are forced to wait between episodes.
Yeah, it's kind of odd having to, y'know, wait between eps. I mainlined the seasons prior to this one in 2 weeks or so. Now, I'm like the rest of you losers! It's the worst! I need to mainline my Breaking Bad! Wahh!

Cranston is a force of nature. I thought nobody would be able to change my perception of them as an actor as much as Chiklis did on The Shield, but here comes Cranston asking "You sure about that?" I think it's really interesting that he was such a fucking goof when this show started, but now I totally buy him as threatening and scary.

Also, even if some might thing it's plaid, the whole Skyshark stuff still cracks me up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.