Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler quit American Idol

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-13-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/jennifer-lo...dol---too.html

Jennifer Lopez called in to "On Air With Ryan Seacrest" today to tearfully confirm that she is leaving "American Idol." After two years as a judge on the reality TV show, she said, "The time has come."

The announcement comes just one day after Steven Tyler said that he will not return next season. There have been reports that Randy Jackson is stepping down as a judge, too, and that Mariah Carey is in talks to join as a judge.

J. Lo was conflicted about her decision, telling Seacrest (who hosts "Idol"), "It's been a long thought process. I really have been torn... but even last year, it was super tough to decide. Something has to give. That's where I am right now."

She added, "You know, I was really dreading this phone call with you. I honestly feel that the time has come that I have to get back to doing the other things that I do that I've put on hold because I love 'Idol' so much." She said, "I have to come back to, like ... you have a lot of other responsibilities and things that you do. You have to pay attention to do that, too. I just feel like we had an amazing run."

Seacrest responded, "You've made up your mind. If you are leaving the show, I'm sad, but I understand you've got to do what's best for you and your family."

Lopez added, "It's really going to be hard to go. It's one of those special things."

Randy Jackson is also rumored to possibly be leaving next. I'm sure most of you who are still watching don't mind this news at all.

Silly J-Lo....this was the easiest and probably highest paying gig you will ever have. Good luck finding work in A-list movies as a lead. The Back-Up Plan was such a box office smash. I know a few of you weren't fans of J-Lo being so nice either.

I'm happy that Tyler is leaving. He was absolutely useless after the audition rounds in his 2 seasons. Everything for him was beautiful.
Old 07-13-12, 08:29 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler quit American Idol

CNN said that Adam Lambert is circling the judges' chair as well.
Old 07-13-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This show needs to either die or completely reboot. It's stale, the winners don't go anywhere, and the fun had been sucked out over the past few years.
Old 07-13-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that The Sing-Off has been cancelled, can we get Ben Folds as a judge?
Old 07-13-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/jennifer-lo...dol---too.html

Randy Jackson is also rumored to possibly be leaving next. I'm sure most of you who are still watching don't mind this news at all.

Silly J-Lo....this was the easiest and probably highest paying gig you will ever have. Good luck finding work in A-list movies as a lead. The Back-Up Plan was such a box office smash. I know a few of you weren't fans of J-Lo being so nice either.

I'm happy that Tyler is leaving. He was absolutely useless after the audition rounds in his 2 seasons. Everything for him was beautiful.
The producers and Fox already said that changes needed to be made after AI's ratings dropped 20+% this season. The auditions are coming up with the judges so I am positive they cleaned house and told all the judges to gracefully "quit" or be shown the door. I think AI needs to reinvent itself.
Old 07-13-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

J. Lo apparently wanted another $2mill a season and Fox didn't counter offer, so she left. Her shoes are easy enough to fill with any other generic pop star, so I'm curious as to who they bring to the table now.
Old 07-13-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
This show needs to either die or completely reboot. It's stale, the winners don't go anywhere, and the fun had been sucked out over the past few years.
There are too many karaoke shows out there and the novelty has worn off.
Old 07-13-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chowderhead
The producers and Fox already said that changes needed to be made after AI's ratings dropped 20+% this season. The auditions are coming up with the judges so I am positive they cleaned house and told all the judges to gracefully "quit" or be shown the door. I think AI needs to reinvent itself.
The judges (whoever they choose) don't make their official appearances until near the end of August (if I'm not mistaken) in the audition rounds. They don't have alot of time to choose replacements.

The show still makes money even though the ratings are down. Unless, getting the song clearances costs them an arm and a leg.

I still watch Idol and The Voice, but the singing competition show is going through major burnout right now. Duets on ABC this summer is doing horrible. Look at what's going on right now.

This summer:
Duets
America's Got Talent
The Next

Fall 2012:
The X-Factor
The Voice (Fall Audition)

Spring 2013:
American Idol
The Voice (Spring Edition)

TBA:
The Winner
Old 07-13-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've watched since the beginning, but half way through this past season I decided enough was enough. Even the auditions weren't fun anymore. Tyler and Lopez were horrible judges. When you give half a dozen standing ovations per show, it becomes meaningless.
Even if the show is overhauled, I don't see myself watching unless they get some really fantastic judges. Adam Lambert and some flavor of the month pop hoochie won't do it.
Old 07-14-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I still watch (didn't start till season 6) mostly as a way to hear new music, but agree that it's tired and the judges' comments are useless. The WGWG is a real problem too.
Old 07-14-12, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There are too many karaoke shows out there and the novelty has worn off.
I think this is a huge issue. I think there's a feeling of fatigue setting in. That was at least the feeling I had when I gave X-Factor a shot and then Idol came back. It just felt like it was becoming too much of a commitment without enough benefit.

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I've watched since the beginning, but half way through this past season I decided enough was enough. Even the auditions weren't fun anymore. Tyler and Lopez were horrible judges. When you give half a dozen standing ovations per show, it becomes meaningless.
Even if the show is overhauled, I don't see myself watching unless they get some really fantastic judges. Adam Lambert and some flavor of the month pop hoochie won't do it.
I totally agree with you. I think Tyler and Lopez both being gone is potentially a great thing. I would have mixed feelings seeing Randy go, especially considering he's been the voice of sanity on the judges' table the last couple of seasons (who saw that coming?).

I had planned on not watching next season, but I could be enticed to sample the next season depending on the judges they get. As you say, Adam Lambert would NOT be it for me. I couldn't stand him during his season, so if he is chosen as a judge, I think that would likely put the final nail in the Idol coffin for me. I still haven't decided if I'm going to give X-Factor a second season. There is a curiosity factor there, but then I think about having to watch the episodes ...
Old 07-14-12, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Putting a former contestant on as a judge is an interesting idea, but Lambert is too recent. Get Carrie Underwood and I'd tune in.
Old 07-14-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Putting a former contestant on as a judge is an interesting idea, but Lambert is too recent. Get Carrie Underwood and I'd tune in.
I get the impression she would be another JLO. Too concerned about her persona and coming off as "mean" to be honest.
Old 07-14-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was really impressed by Adam the week he worked as mentor, and he hasn't been afraid to be critical. I'm encouraged by the idea of Adam as a judge.

As for Lopez leaving, I read a joke somewhere that all of her talk to the contestants telling them to pick a familiar song and don't take any chances explained her movie career.
Old 07-14-12, 03:13 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I didn't watch one episode of the last season, after suffering through the previous season, the awful judging, and the terrible country music finalists. They need a valid Simon replacement, all of these screetchy singers getting praised by all three judges over and over is just too hard to watch.
Old 07-14-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
As for Lopez leaving, I read a joke somewhere that all of her talk to the contestants telling them to pick a familiar song and don't take any chances explained her movie career.
That's pretty true but also a bit sad to me. I remember expecting big things from her after My Family, Selena and Out of Sight. I know it's not very popular, but I even thought she was good in U-Turn. Regardless, most of the acting choices she made early in her career seem like they were made by a different person. I'm not saying I expected her to be winning Oscars by now, but I figured she would continue to make interesting choices, even if it was just mixed with more commercial films. Instead, it's just one bad romantic comedy after another with very few exceptions, and those exceptions aren't good either.
Old 07-14-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

In my opinion, J-Lo and Tyler were actually not bad in the audition rounds/Hollywood week in their 2 seasons. They were critical and gave decent advice.

Once we got to the live performance shows is where the problems came in. Tyler was literally half asleep during the live shows and maybe once in a blue moon would say that he didn't like a performance. J-Lo was basically Paula Abdul redux. It was nauseating that practically every performance got a standing ovation when we got to the top 5 or 6.

Honestly I don't think they will get someone with the same credentials as Simon Cowell. I think they are going to shell out the money for some star power.
Old 07-14-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I get the impression she would be another JLO. Too concerned about her persona and coming off as "mean" to be honest.
I get that people enjoy seeing others ripped, but there's nothing dishonest about choosing to accentuate the positive.

I thought Tyler was completely useless. Contrary to prevailing opinion, I thought J.Lo gave a lot of on-point positive advice. I doubt I'll miss her, but I didn't think she was bad. I won't completely discard the utility of, "You suck," feedback, but I think it's way more helpful to the contestants to give them positive reinforcement. Tell them how they can be better if they weren't good. To me, saying, "You suck," has always been about entertainment, not really helping the constestants. People do love to see other people eviscerated, though.

As for Simon's credentials, when American Idol started, it quickly became the biggest thing he'd ever done. He wasn't responsible for a whole lot of success in the music business. He was good at giving the people what they want to see on TV, though.

Last edited by MikahC; 07-15-12 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-15-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

At this point, the return of Simon would be the only thing to get me to start watching again.
Old 07-15-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Jenna Maroney for judge
Old 07-15-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get Madonna to be a judge. I bet she'd be great, opinionated with interesting comments. I see her pulling off a bit of Simon Cowell effectively. That would be the first celebrity I'd consider.
Old 07-15-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quinten Tarantino was a great judge.
Old 07-15-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
At this point, the return of Simon would be the only thing to get me to start watching again.
Agreed, which is why I think once X-Factor's retooling hits hopefully people will migrate there and AI will die.
Old 07-16-12, 09:19 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

They should just put Jimmy Iovine in as a judge. He's the only one these last two seasons that gave consistent harsh-when-necessary feedback and he's established with the audience. Then they could get either a name singer like Mariah or a past contestant and give the panel the artist perspective (and star power).
Old 07-16-12, 09:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Which one is this? Is this the one with the spinning chairs?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.