Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Brother 14 season thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Brother 14 season thread

Old 09-20-12, 06:38 PM
  #326  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mwbmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,963
Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Originally Posted by Howie2000
Still though he absolutely owned Dan at FTC and did a better job at the game socially.
Jury questions were irrelevant. They already knew who they were voting for before they sat down. You can see it on the show when Danielle comes out last and talks to Jenn to confirm Ian is winning before they even started the Q&A.

I also disagree that Ian played better socially. Outside of Britney and Dan (and maybe Ashley) no one particularly liked Ian. Not to say they disliked him, but he was awkward to be around. In contrast, Dan took the time to get to know everyone, outside of Ashley and maybe Joe. A main reason why the funeral worked is b/c Dan and Danielle spent weeks talking to Jenn just in case they might need her later in the game.
Old 09-20-12, 07:55 PM
  #327  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Originally Posted by mwbmis
In contrast, Dan took the time to get to know everyone, outside of Ashley and maybe Joe.
That's 2 out of 7 votes off the bat who he probably had no shot at. He had a free month reign where he was 100 percent safe where he could have been working the jury vote. You throw in a 3rd vote of Britney who was Ian's bff and was gonna vote for him and spin in the jury for him no matter. Even if he had not backstabbed Shane the dude liked Ian and wanted someone new to win.

Besides Danielle who was more focused on herself and 1 sided romance with Shane not a single person was Dan's 1 ally. His social game was not Russell bad but it also wasn't one which was advantageous to get jury votes. BB and Survivor have always been popularity contests. The jury rarely votes on the subjective criteria of "who played better" unless they hate or like both finalists equally.
Old 09-20-12, 08:44 PM
  #328  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,640
Received 266 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Watching "Attack of the Show" tonight, Sara Underwood mentioned how she was at the finale last night and she was happy because she wanted Ian to win. It's funny because if you watched the feeds or BBAD, Shane would always bring up Sara Underwood and AOTS and how much he liked her. He even likes Candace. It sounds like Shane might have even got to talk to Sara last night. Hope Danielle didn't catch him!
Old 09-20-12, 08:54 PM
  #329  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,063
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Originally Posted by windom
Watching "Attack of the Show" tonight, Sara Underwood mentioned how she was at the finale last night and she was happy because she wanted Ian to win. It's funny because if you watched the feeds or BBAD, Shane would always bring up Sara Underwood and AOTS and how much he liked her. He even likes Candace. It sounds like Shane might have even got to talk to Sara last night. Hope Danielle didn't catch him!
For Sara's sake, I hope not.
Old 09-20-12, 09:17 PM
  #330  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mwbmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,963
Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Originally Posted by Howie2000
That's 2 out of 7 votes off the bat who he probably had no shot at. He had a free month reign where he was 100 percent safe where he could have been working the jury vote. You throw in a 3rd vote of Britney who was Ian's bff and was gonna vote for him and spin in the jury for him no matter. Even if he had not backstabbed Shane the dude liked Ian and wanted someone new to win.

Besides Danielle who was more focused on herself and 1 sided romance with Shane not a single person was Dan's 1 ally. His social game was not Russell bad but it also wasn't one which was advantageous to get jury votes. BB and Survivor have always been popularity contests. The jury rarely votes on the subjective criteria of "who played better" unless they hate or like both finalists equally.
And how was Ian's any better? Ian had Ashley, but Joe and Ian did not have a good relationship. Frank looked down on Ian and then didn't like him after Ian turned on him. Jenn did not like Ian for most of the game. Shane was in an alliance with Ian, but they had nothing in common; Shane hung with Dan and Danielle. Danielle was in an alliance with Ian, but they had nothing in common.

Frank, Shane, Danielle, and Jenn were all more comfortable around Dan. Dan never trusted Joe (with good reason) so they never really bonded. Britney and Dan got along fine, and she said that she would have voted for Dan if he hadn't been against Ian.

Wanting someone new to win is not anything Dan could control. He wanted to take Boogie to the end, but Boogie was playing a petulant childish game. He wanted to take Janelle to the end, but no one else in Dan's alliance wanted to work with Janelle.

I also disagree with Dan having a free month. He was a player down before the game started. After week one, he could go home at any time from that point forward. Dan had to pack right along side Danielle in week 2.

I'm not saying Dan couldn't have played things smarter with the blind sides, but it's not like he had a ton of great options. In order for him to win, Britney had to go. She was a block to anything he wanted to do b/c she was watching him like a hawk. Given Frank's personality, there was also no way for Frank to leave the game that didn't involve Frank blaming Dan. Joe may have respected Dan's game, but he was anti-coach from the get go. He said the night coaches came in that they were playing for $50,000.

I think Jenn certainly liked Dan more, but once the votes were lined up for Ian she didn't resist b/c it didn't make any difference. As for Shane, I said at the time that Dan got too dirty on that one. The Dani comments at the funeral aside, Shane really liked Dan, as he was really his only male friend in the house. Dan definitely could have handled it better.

Like I said earlier in the thread, Dan needed a "real" jury Q&A to explain his game, and knowing up front that wasn't going to happen makes it his fault that he didn't plan accordingly. Running through his speech with a stop watch the night before, may have helped him know what he wanted to say but it also made it sound too rehearsed and a little desperate, not that the jury Q&A meant a single thing anyway.
Old 09-20-12, 10:53 PM
  #331  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,662
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

I kind of assumed Dr. Will was over Big Brother, but he tweeted this...

Did @DanGheesling earn his black belt? Wondering if @JulieChen, @CBSBigBrother, @agrodner22 & @Kassting are now ready for #ClashOfTheTitans.
Old 09-20-12, 11:14 PM
  #332  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,640
Received 266 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

I'm just now watching BBAD from two nights ago. Ian and Dan are talking about Survivor and how Russell Hantz lost to Natalie because the jury was so bitter. Ian said that Russell definitely deserved to win that season. I wonder what Ian will think when he watches this season of BB for the first time.

Still watching...they're going through the seasons of Survivor. Ian said Coach should have won against Sophie. Dan asks him why he didn't win. Ian: "Bitter."

Last edited by windom; 09-20-12 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-20-12, 11:48 PM
  #333  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,056
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I kind of assumed Dr. Will was over Big Brother, but he tweeted this...
Guy makes a fortune for being a glorified pimple popper in a city where a Dr. with a good practice can make tons of money on just botox shots alone, so I'm surprised his ego would be affected by all this talk of Dan possibly being the best player now.

Personally, I'm not sure either guy could go deep in an All-Stars season, no matter how good they both are at the game.

Then again, that tweet could just be a little tease from Will to make sure he gets everyone's attention.

Also, I've heard about appearance fees, along with the other rumors of rigging (Frank) that goes on with BB. Considering his monthly income, his odds of winning and how much the stipend is, I'd think he'd want guaranteed money to appear again, making this show even dirtier than it already is.
Old 09-20-12, 11:51 PM
  #334  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,063
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I also disagree with Dan having a free month. He was a player down before the game started. After week one, he could go home at any time from that point forward. Dan had to pack right along side Danielle in week 2.
A coach was never leaving before they entered the game. If it ever looked like it might happen, AG would have improvised and thrown them in the game earlier than scheduled. That may have been why they entered the game when they did.
Old 09-20-12, 11:53 PM
  #335  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Speaking of Dr. Will, remember when they interviewed him at the top of the season and he picked Ian to win it all?
Old 09-21-12, 12:11 AM
  #336  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,536
Received 2,603 Likes on 1,810 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Originally Posted by Groucho
Speaking of Dr. Will, remember when they interviewed him at the top of the season and he picked Ian to win it all?
Yes, I was just mentioning that to someone today. I think it was even during the first week of the program, wasn't it?

I seem to recall that he also said Boogie picked the strongest team, and that team did stay intact longer than any other team, even though Ian did turn on Boogie. Ian, Jenn, and Frank all stayed in the house while every other team only had a single player left (barring coaches). And, of course, Ian ultimately won.
Old 09-21-12, 06:55 AM
  #337  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,487
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Post-game interview with Dan:

Dearborn’s Dan Gheesling nearly pulled off the biggest win in “Big Brother” history on Wednesday, a win which would have undoubtedly earned him the title of best “Big Brother” player ever. But when the final votes were tallied, he ended up on the short end of a surprisingly lopsided 6-1 vote, dropping the show’s $500,000 prize to engineering student and “Big Brother” superfan Ian Terry.

We spoke to Gheesling by phone from Los Angeles after his loss about his gameplay, where he went wrong and his plans going forward.

6-to-1. What happened?


That’s a kick in the pills, huh? I can’t really explain it. My whole goal was to just fight and claw and scratch my way to that final two spot, and I thought sitting in that chair I’d have a chance to sway a couple votes and then see what happened. Obviously I knew the way I got there was definitely going to hurt me, but I didn’t think it was going to hurt me that bad. The vote that I saw come out of the box that was really the nail in my coffin was Jenn. I thought at the end of the day we had a really good relationship and I knew she didn’t really care for Ian, and I thought I could count on that vote. And when I saw that Jenn voted for Ian, I knew it was pretty much wrap city for me.

Were you surprised at the outcome?

I guess in hindsight, knowing all the information I know now and looking at it from a different perspective, you have a 29-year-old guy who’s won the game before and has had some success sitting next to an underdog 21-year-old college student with loans to pay off. It’s a pretty easy sell from the outside looking in. I think I probably miscalculated that and didn’t take that into consideration as much as I probably should have.

Where did your game go wrong?

I don’t know exactly if I would say it it went wrong anywhere, because the game that I had to play wasn’t very conducive to rallying votes in the end. In season 10, I knew people were mad at me, but in my speech with them I knew they weren’t that bitter, and I knew I had a shot to convince them. I was hoping for the same thing with this jury. I just didn’t anticipate so much bitterness, and I couldn’t even win over one or two votes that could have possibly swayed the whole thing. I didn’t see that coming.

How was everyone acting toward you last night after the finale?

I didn’t get too much chance to talk to too many people, just because it was so busy. And at the wrap party I was talking to the people behind-the-scenes. I talked to Danielle a little bit, she hasn’t said anything to me as of yet. I talked to Kara, Kara was awesome. I didn’t talk to Shane very much. Real quick I did try to pull Frank aside right after he won the money. I said, “Frank, are you mad at me?” He said yeah, a little bit, which is understandable. But I knew these new players especially are going to need a little help decompressing and getting back to the real world, and as long as they know I’m there to help them regardless of how they feel about me, that’s all I can do. I don’t have any ill will towards any of them.

Danielle seemed pretty upset at the finale.


That’s what people are telling me. I spent a couple minutes with her this morning and she hasn’t said anything. I’m sure she’s going to have a rough go-round with some things. And like I said, I’m going to be here to help her out with any of the rough times. Because now that the game’s over, I’m back to just being me. And you know how I am in my real life, I don’t host my own funeral on a daily basis, and I don’t stab people in the back.

What do you mean when you say Danielle “didn’t say anything” to you?


It was very cordial talk. It was just me, my wife Chelsea and her. I asked her how she was doing, she said she didn’t sleep very much. I didn’t sleep at all last night either. But it’s part of the decompression process. She didn’t really disclose any displeasure in me thus far, maybe she will in the future, and I would anticipate that and I would expect that.

How do you feel about Ian’s win?

It’s good. At the end of the day, as a fan of “Big Brother,” I like to see people win that at least play the game. Ian wasn’t a floater, he played a pretty good game. He won a bunch of competitions. I can’t really knock his game. Obviously… (trails off). I don’t want to say anything bad. He played a good game and he was a deserving winner.

Are you excited to watch this season?


Yeah, very much so. I think just to see how things were put together in the DR (diary room). It’s going to be an interesting edit for me to watch, because the first time around, I got a very good edit. This time around, I knew things I had to do, I might be painted in more of a villain-type role, which I can accept. I took the knife out and I can deal with the scars that are going to get exposed.

How did it feel when Janelle said at the finale it would be a travesty if you didn’t win?

That’s huge. Janelle is one of the best players to ever play this game. It made me feel good to hear that from such a competitor like Janelle. It made me feel really good about how I played. Last night on Twitter, the support for me was overwhelming and wild beyond my dreams. Twitter wasn’t around that much in season 10, and I’m just getting constant tweets of “you got robbed” and this and that, and “you played a great game.” One in particular that I laughed at was someone sent me a tweet and said I got “Hantzed,” and I knew right away what they were talking about. Russell Hantz played “Survivor” twice and he played an incredible game, but he had to deal with a bitter jury so he didn’t win, and obviously I can relate to how he feels.

Going back to the beginning of the season, why did you pick such a weak team?


Right away, I liked Kara off the bat. When you walk in the house with 16 people, the only thing people are doing are spilling their guts and running their mouth about how great they are. And here I saw Kara, and she was sitting back, listening, and letting people talk about themselves. I liked that a lot about her from day one. She was reserved, and I knew she was smart. I told her last night I was the most disappointed in myself with her. I feel like I really let her down and I felt like I could have done more to coach her up to stay in the game and she was nothing but smiles and happy for me. But I really felt Kara had a potential to go very deep in this game.

When I drafted Danielle it was between her and Willie. And Danielle came up to me very overbearing, but I knew she really wanted to play for me. Kind of like in football, you can get any kind of talented player, but the ones that really want to play for you are going to go that extra mile, so I wanted to roll the dice on her. I didn’t pick Willie because I knew who he was. He wasn’t straight up with me. But on top of that, when I went to pick my second round, his body language was completely tilted away from me and he was looking only at Britney, so to me that made my decision for me. And obviously, picking fourth out of the entire draft process means I was going to pick last, so I didn’t really get to pick Jodi.

When you say you knew who Willie was, do you mean as a person or as a Hantz?


I knew he was a Hantz. I saw him right away and I asked him, and he came up with some lie that, “oh, people confuse me with Russell from Survivor all the time,” and I’m thinking, “no they don’t.” And then when I saw his picture on the memory wall, and I was thinking, that’s Russell Hantz incarnate. And the thing was, if he would have told me, that would have only helped him, because I know the genes he was coming from, and I would want to play with that type of a player.

I don’t fault Britney, but at the same time I feel like if I would have picked Willie, Willie needed a coach that was gonna put a leash on him and really ride him hard and guide him, and I think Britney being his coach was not the best match because Willie wasn’t going to listen to a lot of people in that house, and he certainly wasn’t going to listen to Britney. And I just feel like I wish I had the opportunity to coach him up and ultimately I didn’t pick him, so it was my decision. But I think Willie could have been a great player under the right guidance.

What would you change if you could change something in the house?


I guess the only thing I would change is maybe, in hindsight, maybe a little bit of the jury speech. Maybe I wouldn’t focus so much on trying to play to the egos of people and really explain myself a little more. But even so, I played this game with no regrets and no fear. I really look back at everything I did and I can’t find anything that would have really changed this outcome.

Would you have thrown less competitions?


No, because some of them I threw, some of them I just flat out got beat. I’m 29-years-old, and my legs don’t work like they used to, and the physical competition this season was unlike anything I’ve ever gone against and maybe ever seen in the show. There were some great physical competitors I knew I couldn’t compete with, but I still had to get them out of the house. And if I couldn’t beat them, it’s not like the saying, “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.” My saying is, “if you can’t beat ‘em, you gotta stab ‘em.”

Did you throw the final HOH last night?


I did not. Contrary to popular belief, I just got beat. The one that got me, and got me a little bit rattled, is Britney’s. Because she talked a lot about how much she hated the name “Quack Pack,” but what I overlooked is the fact that Julie said verbatim, something like this, “Britney’s quote was, ‘I was embarrassed to say the Quack Pack, like, 1,000 times.’” Well, Britney’s a very eloquent speaker, she doesn’t drop the word “like,” and that’s what I overlooked. So at that point I got a little rattled, and I’m going against the brain in Ian, so I really had no room for error.

Britney was a huge fan of yours and talked a lot about your gameplay and how much she appreciated it. Were you surprised that you didn’t have a vote from her in the end?


I think that was a little “Big Brother” production magic. Because when people told me she was defending me in the jury house, I was extremely shocked, because her and Ian were like Mickey and Minnie Mouse. They were inseparable. I knew she had promised him her vote. I knew that was the one vote there was no chance I could get, and I was cool with that. So to hear that in the jury speech, that’s a little production magic I think.

But even on the feeds there were hours and hours where she was defending you and saying to others they were beat by a great player, etc.


Well that’s great to hear. Because one thing with Britney, heading into this game, on day one, I was like, “why is Britney here?” She got duped by her alliance, she didn’t really play a good game, etc. But after playing with her, she was extremely dangerous and she proved herself. She scared the heck out of me, because she was great at all aspects of the game, everyone liked her, and she saw through the mist, essentially. She was the only one I knew I couldn’t mist, and she’s a great player.

What are your plans now?


For me, it’s getting back with the wife and just spending a lot of time with her and going back to what I love to do, and that’s helping people get on reality TV. On day one Ian came in the house and he told me, “Dan, I read your book, and it helped me get on the show,” and to me it’s like, holy cow! Ashley read the book too. There are a lot of people that want to get on reality TV and they’re super close, they just need a little guidance and a little tutelage, so I want to do anything I can do to help people achieve their goal.

Are you going back to coaching too?


I talked to my brother-in-law this morning who’s a senior, a captain on the team, and St. Mary’s is 2-1 right now, but really it’s going to take me a little while to decompress and I’m not going to rush back into it. But I’m definitely going to be at the games and try to help out as much as possible.

Are you done with “Big Brother” now, or will you go back if they ask you back for a third time?


For me, to get to the final two again, I kind of feel like taking Chelsea’s hand and riding off into the “Big Brother” sunset. Because really, at this point, what more do I have to prove? I struggled through this entire game, I pulled off a few miracles, I did what I had to do and I got to the end again, so at this point I feel like it’s great closure in my life. But at the same time, you can never say never.

Had you pulled off the win last night I think you would have been recognized, undoubtedly, as the best “Big Brother” player ever. Will you settle now for being tied with Dr. Will as the co-best player?

It’s funny, he sent me a text this morning. We’ve talked in the past, he knows I have nothing but the utmost respect for him, and he was my idol in this game. So to get a text from Will this morning saying I played “a (expletive) phenomenal game,” is great. He’s like, to do that twice is unbelievable. So to be up there with Dr. Will, I can sit back and be happy with that, because it doesn’t get much better than him in this game.
Old 09-21-12, 08:54 AM
  #338  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

I picked Ian to win week 1 (obviously before the coaches were in), so I was happy in that I finally picked the right person to like. But, I think Dan played the better game. The challenge for him was always going to be who was going to hold a grudge in the jury and who was going to view it as a masterful playing of the game. I would have voted for him if I was in the jury, and I was actually surprised Brittany didn't given how much she talked him up in the (edited) Jury House stuff.
Old 03-05-13, 03:23 AM
  #339  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,063
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

If anyone is desperate for some Big Brother, BB Canada just started last week. It's identical to the US show and has the same schedule (Sun - nominations, Wed - veto, Thur - eviction). You can find the episodes on Youtube.
Old 03-05-13, 09:28 AM
  #340  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
T-bone22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,898
Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

Nice, I'll check it out
Old 12-05-14, 12:24 PM
  #341  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mwbmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,963
Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Big Brother 14 season thread

In case anyone is interested, Joe is a contestant this year on the Taste. He on Marcus's team.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.