Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killing -- Season/Series? Finale -- "What I Know" -- 6/17/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who do you think killed Rosie Larsen?
Jamie Wright
31.25%
Jamie's Dad
6.25%
Nicole Jackson
0%
Michael Ames
0%
A Tag Team Combo
12.50%
None of them...Red Herring #1,000
50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

The Killing -- Season/Series? Finale -- "What I Know" -- 6/17/12

Old 06-18-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Killing -- Season/Series? Finale -- "What I Know" -- 6/17/12

I've been defending this show from day 1. This was a very satisfying ending to me. The only thing I had a problem with was Richmond turning scummy at the end. But, it showed what kind of man he was all along. So, it WAS consistent with his character in that regard. I just didn't like it.

I have also agreed that the writing took huge leaps of faith to keep me going in the story. Terry had been struggling with something all through the series, but I agree she probably should have had more scenes of her breaking down.

If it comes back for a third season, it should be Holder and a new partner. And it should wrap up one mystery at the end of the season. That's probably all you could hope for. Maybe Linden comes in as a consultant at some point.
Old 06-18-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I laughed when they police chief, captain, whatever told them that they "did good work", because they so did not!
Old 06-19-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I liked the little video Rosey filmed, but I'd like to know who helped film it. In some of those shots someone else was holding the camera. Or did we know about this already?
Old 06-19-12, 10:47 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

^ I was confused by that as well. She likely didn't film it all herself.
Old 06-19-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I liked the little video Rosey filmed, but I'd like to know who helped film it. In some of those shots someone else was holding the camera. Or did we know about this already?
Wasn't it the Russian kid who killed Janeck?

His tattooed hand appeared in another of Rosie's films, IIRC.
Old 06-19-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Didn't they say they had to develop the film at the police station? But what we see was a fully edited movie. Am I correct that she was shooting with film? Why not use a video camera?

I can't remember but did they show the aunt having a connection to Ames prior to this episode?
Old 06-19-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by andicus
Why couldn't she have had a mental condition (resulting from the stress of realizing she'd killed her sister's child) preventing her from dealing with it, until they realized what was going on and confronted her with it?

I think it's plausible, and was a pretty good ending to a series that was far too long.
Exactly. I find the way she had been acting throughout the series, all the way up to being caught very plausible and believable. She has been just as much of a wreck as her sister, and I can see her helping out the family out of guilt.
Old 06-19-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't have a problem with Ames's mistress being the killer -- that works. But she's coincidentally Rosie's aunt? It's not like Seattle is a small town or something.

Also, I'm not sure why Ames is walking around free and hanging with the Mayor-elect. He's definitely an accessory to the murder. Even the Chief was an accessory after the fact, and she's living it up like nothing happened as well.
Didn't they say the chief was going away for a while for obstruction of justice?
Old 06-19-12, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Didn't they say the chief was going away for a while for obstruction of justice?
They just said they were going to charge her with it.
Old 06-19-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Didn't they say they had to develop the film at the police station? But what we see was a fully edited movie. Am I correct that she was shooting with film? Why not use a video camera?
Yeah, I think shooting with film was a stylistic choice - although it seemed more like a stylistic choice for the writers and not a realistic choice for Rosey.

And they did have to send the film to the lab to be developed. It should've been raw and unedited - not like the version the Larson's watched. Did Linden decide to get creative with it before giving it to the Larsons?
Old 06-19-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I had Jamie as the killer from the beginning...but adding in the sister was a nice touch.

As for the show as a whole, yeah it had problems. The writers made some strides in the right direction, should the show continue. But, I do want it to come back for a third season.

No idea what AMC is going to do. The ratings were pretty much the same, so I guess that is a positive.
Old 06-19-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton
I had Jamie as the killer from the beginning...but adding in the sister was a nice touch.

As for the show as a whole, yeah it had problems. The writers made some strides in the right direction, should the show continue. But, I do want it to come back for a third season.

No idea what AMC is going to do. The ratings were pretty much the same, so I guess that is a positive.
This was like a long mini-series to me. I am sure there is something they could do in terms of continuing on with a new storyline etc...but..The Killing was about one incident which was investigated and solved. It is over for me.
Old 06-19-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
I think it's a goner...there was not significant increase in viewership for the finale. Can't blame AMC for the show's demise though...it's all on the producers/writers...they had a potential hit on their hands and they went and pulled a "Twin Peaks" on us - promising to reveal the killer and then giving us a cliffhanger. This is one of the reasons "Revenge" is so popular over on ABC...it "rewards" its audience every six episodes or so with a resolution to an ongoing storyline.
Old 06-19-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

It got a 0.5 and 1.4M viewers. It's doubtful that AMC will renew it. I'm fine with how the show ended. The main arc was resolved wth closure as all the characters storylines. Hopefully AMC will develop something good to replace it next Spring.
Old 06-19-12, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terry was an emotional mess for most of the series. How many times did we see her crying during the first season? She also freaked out about the boys playing in the trunk. Terry being the killer makes perfect sense. It's something the writers did not cheat on.

The killer or co-killer had to be someone involved in the Richmond campaign because there was no other point to that story if it wasn't tied in somehow. I figured it might be Jamie (but still hoped it was Gwen) when they had that scene in the locker room where he punches the guy from the other campaign. The scene added nothing to the plot so I figured it was a bit of foreshadowing. I don't know if I buy Jamie's involvement in the murder. While I think Terry was always going to be the killer, I wonder if the show was hedging its bets and decided to go with Jamie.

The show was a mess this season. I never cared they didn't reveal the killer last season, but the first two episodes this season were such a mess, and I think it was a big mistake to sideline Mitch for most of the season when Michelle Forbes is the show's best actor. The horrified look on Mitch's face during Terry's confession and "don't be mad at me" speech is something I'll never forget.

I really liked the last four episodes, and I grew to appreciate the Linden/Holder dynamic, but so much of the episodes this season felt like killing time or just annoying.
Old 06-19-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I really liked the last four episodes, and I grew to appreciate the Linden/Holder dynamic, but so much of the episodes this season felt like killing time or just annoying.
I bet you someone could take the two seasons, edit them down to about 13 episodes and come up with something fantastic.
Old 06-19-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I bet you someone could take the two seasons, edit them down to about 13 episodes and come up with something fantastic.
No doubt. Lose half the red-herrings and ditch the entire episode/storyline of Linden looking for her kid from S1 and you've got a good start.
Old 06-19-12, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Definitely. The Killing had so much good stuff in the two seasons, but it was so often surrounded by nonsense. They should have started the second season with Linden finding the key card and gone from there. Most everything else that came before didn't do much for me.

I do wonder if the show plays better in a marathon viewing because family members who watched all the episodes of the series over the weekend thought the show was fantastic. I never cared how long it took to solve the murder as long as the writing was first rate so I doubt a marathon viewing would have made much difference in my case.
Old 06-20-12, 09:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see a renewal with those #s and AMC's penny pinching ways....

They screwed up big time, its like they never worked in TV before.. why coudn't they just have put those final couple of eps into last season and voila, good solid show with a solid ending..

what a mistake... you have to wrap up a murder plotline in a single season....
Old 06-20-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked the last two episodes. I felt the show sorta redeemed itself... Maybe even bumping up the average grade to a "B" for me.
Old 06-25-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to say my wife and I just finished watching the 20 episode Season 1 of the Danish show. Since the episodes were almost a full hour long, this was pretty close in running time to the 26 episode two seasons of the American series.

The Danish series is one of the best things I have seen on TV in many years. Trust me, it is far superior to the American show in every way: writing, directing, acting, the musical score, everything. It is fucking brilliant. Sofie Gråbøl puts Mireille Enos to shame (in all fairness, Gråbøl has much more to work with). Ditto for the rest of the cast. The American show is radically dumbed down and clumsily plotted. It's like the YA version. I'm not saying the Danish show is perfect (I thought it bogged down a little around Episodes 11-13, for example, but soon gained back all of its momentum and more) but it's pretty close. You simply will not believe many of the plot developments you will see on the Danish show and marvel at how superior they are to anything on the American show.

I can't wait to start on the 10 episode Season 2 which we will do in a day or two.

You can click on this and I promise it won't spoil anything:

Spoiler:
You really don't want to know anything and I'm not going to tell you.

Oh yeah, I got the British DVD version from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Killing-...0683484&sr=1-2

Although I'm pretty much a blu-ray person now, this DVD is extremely high quality. Of course, you will need a region free DVD player.

--------------------------------

Edit: Good article on how the American series went wrong (warning: contains spoilers for the Danish series; nothing crucial is revealed but some plot points are touched on):

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ent-wrong.html

Last edited by movielib; 07-28-12 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-26-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib
The Danish series is one of the best things I have seen on TV in many years. Trust me, it is far superior to the American show in every way
It certainly can't be any worse.
Old 07-27-12, 02:12 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/27/killing-canceled/
Old 07-27-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
Any possibility another network would take a chance on this?
Old 07-27-12, 02:16 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Lets hope not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.