Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mystery Science Theater 3000 talk

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000 talk

Just want to chime in and mention Episode 903: Puma Man. Generally speaking I'm a bigger Joel fan than Mike, but this is always the first episode I show to newbies. Most reviews of the show I read tend to claim that the worse the movie, the better the episode. I don't really agree with this. While Puma Man is undoubtably a terrible film, it's at least hilariously watchable. I find the best episodes to at least be movies that I could watch and make fun of on their own, unlike something like Monster-A-Go-Go or Wild World of Batwoman which are just painfully bad.

A side note on Puma Man; I read in an interview with the guy in charge of MST3k releases for Shout Factory that he has tried like crazy to track down the rights holders to Puma Man so that they can release it on dvd, but so far hasn't been able to even determine who owns it.
Old 06-12-12, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another candidate for worst film and a very funny episode.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xfuj_YAKWa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-12, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

One of my favorites was 306 Time of the Apes. But most of the foreign films were great, Mexican Santa Clause was another favorite.
Old 06-12-12, 10:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Did anyone else belong to the fan club? I still have the old newsletters, and I think my membership card, lol
I know I just shared the below a couple months ago in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here anyway. And it's the second best day of my life.

And yes, I joined the fan club, saved all the newsletters, and wish I had bought more of the goodies they used to put out.
I've shared it once or thrice in other threads, but I'll repeat it again here. It's pretty much my favorite life moment until my wedding.

Back in 1990 or whenever the first season of MST3K on The Comedy Channel ended, I took my first trip to Minnesota (my sort of Mecca for mainly sports reasons).

I was at Vikings training camp and knew that Best Brains studio was somewhere nearby. On a whim, I looked them up in a phone book and called. I said something like, "I'm a fan traveling through the state, appreciate what you guys do, and just wanted to say thank you."

The guy who answered the phone, who I think was toolmaster Jef Maynard, said the most magical words I'd ever heard up to that point in my life. Something like, "You know, tonight is our season 1 wrap party. Why don't you stop by and be our token fan?"

So I got to spend several hours as they had a big bash at the studio. It was just the cast and crew, their families, and me. I met Joel's parents, got to watch a rough draft of the season 2 premiere, and generally just stood around starstruck all evening.
Old 06-12-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked

Old 06-12-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I went to the first conventioncon-fest-orama thing they had. i got to tour the studios and see the props and watch stuff like Robot Holocaust with a bunch of mysties
Old 06-15-12, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every episode and short in less that 15 minutes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OwyaUXuZncw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-15-12, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of MST3K, but I loved Untamed Youth, and by way of shorts, "A Date With Your Family" was pretty funny.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_Hh4M4vipAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-03-12, 01:18 PM

Don't know if people saw this but "Cinematic Titanic" is now available on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/cinematic-titanic/

I like Rifftrax better but CT is great too, and I would definitely recommend a live show if they happen to come to your area. I haven't seen all of the ones on Hulu but I saw "Blood of the Vampires" live and it was great.
Old 07-03-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that half the fun of MST3K was the fact that the movies were so obscure and terrible, but why didn't they ever do a more famous movie? There were plenty of big star-studded epics that screamed for an MST3K send-up.
Old 07-03-12, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I know that half the fun of MST3K was the fact that the movies were so obscure and terrible, but why didn't they ever do a more famous movie? There were plenty of big star-studded epics that screamed for an MST3K send-up.
From the MST3K info website:

Q: How come they never riffed on a recent, big-name theatrical bomb?
A: For financial reasons. MST3K would have loved to do a big-budget movie, but gaining the rights to such a movie would have been too expensive

They actually did do a somewhat more mainstream movie,"This Island Earth" when they had a bigger budget to do a MST3K movie. Although I believe that Universal, the releasing studio for the MST movie, also owned the rights to "This Island Earth", so probably made the terms of a licensing deal more reasonable. However, since the MST movie bombed horribly at the box office, we're unlikely to see any more of those.

Another reason was that bigger movies often had bigger egos involved, even when they bombed, they might not license out the movie for fear of offending the 'talent'. But mostly it was because MST was always a low budget operation.

Rifftrax got around that by just selling their riff track, so no licensing required. They have done some great ones, including the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Inception, Twilight, etc. There are plenty of samples on youtube.
Old 07-03-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have to pay for the film rights, more well known movies cost more money.

EDIT: too late, but yeah, one of the good things about Riff tracks being sold separately from the film itself was that they could do any movie they wanted to.
Old 07-03-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by misterchimpy

I like Rifftrax better but CT is great too, and I would definitely recommend a live show if they happen to come to your area. I haven't seen all of the ones on Hulu but I saw "Blood of the Vampires" live and it was great.
From what I can figure that on,y works with huluplus subscribers for 7.99 a month.
Old 07-03-12, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
From what I can figure that on,y works with huluplus subscribers for 7.99 a month.
No, it works with free Hulu, just interrupted by ads. There is an Availability line on the page that says Hulu Plus(which is probably what you were referring to),
but it works with regular Hulu.
Old 07-03-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok looks like not on iPad. When I try to watch it defaults me over to the Hulu iPad app and forces me to sign in and then says only Hulu plus can watch.
Old 07-03-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't think you can watch anything on the Hulu app without Hulu Plus.
Old 07-04-12, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I posted this in the Other t-shirt thread, but for those don't check it, here is today's TeeFury shirt:

I'm on the fence. I don't know if I like the design or if it's just that there are so few MST3K ones on these daily t-shirt sites. Oh, well. I have time to decide.
Old 08-24-12, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very funny recent 10 minute film with Joel and Jerry Seinfield.

http://www.crackle.com/c/Comedians_I..._High/2487865/

Last edited by Paul1957; 08-24-12 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-24-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by misterchimpy

I saw this was on H+, but since they refer to each show as a "clip", I thought they were just promos. Great to see they're full episodes.

And I enthusiastically second seeing Cinematic Titanic live.
Old 08-24-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If y'all are ever in Austin... we have a comedy group similar to MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic called Master Pancake Theater. They're kinda like the other groups except more R-rated. They perform most weekends at the Alamo Drafthouse at the Ritz (Downtown) and are always sold out a week in advance, so get tickets early. They're currently doing Fight Club.

http://drafthouse.com/series/master_pancake/austin

Here's a clip from Forrest Gump:

Also in the vein of MST3K, they stop the show for a live skit in the middle of the movie.
Old 08-24-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^
OMG, that was AWFUL.
Old 08-24-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I kinda liked it. But a lot of this type stuff is better live than on YouTube.
Old 08-24-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Three up arrows? Three posts back?

The Joel ep of the Seinfeld chow with the cars and the coffee was probay the weakest of the bunch so far.