Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- 70 Minute Season Finale -- "Valar Morghulis" -- 6/03/12

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- 70 Minute Season Finale -- "Valar Morghulis" -- 6/03/12

The "3rd" name was basically the guards he had to kill to let Arya and her friends escape from Harrenhal. As far as Jaqen is concerned, the Red God has been paid back in full now.
Old 06-04-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to the night watchman for having the bravery to sacrifice himself so that Jon could live. It was either a sacrifice in the hopes one lives, or both would die.
What did he say to Jon? I didn't catch it.
Old 06-04-12, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
What did he say to Jon? I didn't catch it.
"We are the watchers on the wall".
Old 06-04-12, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-04-12, 02:48 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Dragons steal the finale again!

Winter is coming and it's gonna be a long one until season 3.
Old 06-04-12, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did all those Dothraki come from? I thought they got slaughtered when the dragons where taken.
Old 06-04-12, 03:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome episode. I was expecting this to wrap up loose ends and setup for the next season just like last year's last episode. Good to see it covered all our main characters and set up the course for next season. I especially loved the 3 horn blasts and army of white walkers, it's gonna be a long wait until April!
Old 06-04-12, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I loved the dream reunion with Kahl Drago, really sweet and emotional.
+1

Originally Posted by MikahC
Sansa is doing a good job speaking the words of the loyal subject, but it was great to see her private smile at being freed from Joffrey.
That was great and then Littlefinger brings her back to reality.

Varys needs more screen time. He's like an understated Tyrion in the scenes he's in.
Old 06-04-12, 06:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Great finale, and great season. Sure every episode cant be a homerun, but this season flew by and that tells me how great it was. I'm so glad I don't read the books because I love all the suprises in the show. I love that the show is starting to get more mystical as each season goes on as it makes it more shocking when you see it the first time.
Old 06-04-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Brienne...awesome.
Old 06-04-12, 06:49 AM

Re: What happened to Winterfell - I thought it was clear enough. 20 defenders vs. 500 attackers. Theon didn't want to flee and tried to get his troupe to commit to a suicide mission. Instead they knocked him out, presumably to surrender, attempt to flee, or trade Theon for their freedom. Either way, that doesn't seem to have worked. Winterfell is taken by the Bastard of Bolton and destroyed in the process.

Last edited by Ephemeral_Life; 06-04-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-04-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
Re: What happened to Winterfell - I thought it was clear enough. 20 defenders vs. 500 attackers. Theon didn't want to flee and tried to get his troupe to commit to a suicide mission. Instead they knocked him out, presumably to surrender, attempt to flee, or trade Theon for their freedom. Either way, that doesn't seem to have worked. Winterfell is taken by the Bastard of Bolton and destroyed in the process.
Did I completely space out when they mentioned this? Or are you basing this off the books? I was pretty confused. I thought it was men fighting for Robb that were coming to take back Winterfell, but then that didn't make sense once the Stark boys emerged and needed to leave.
Old 06-04-12, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by flashburn
Did I completely space out when they mentioned this? Or are you basing this off the books? I was pretty confused. I thought it was men fighting for Robb that were coming to take back Winterfell, but then that didn't make sense once the Stark boys emerged and needed to leave.
I think it's clear that we don't know exactly what they were going to do with Greyjoy, but they were getting the hell out of there. As for the apparent book spoiler, it appears to be a book spoiler unless the OP can remind us were this is shown in the TV show.
Old 06-04-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dalbowski
Where did all those Dothraki come from? I thought they got slaughtered when the dragons where taken.
I think those were ducksauce guards
Old 06-04-12, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I think those were ducksauce guards
Is this a joke?
Old 06-04-12, 08:13 AM

I liked this MUCH better then the Blackwater episode. The Blackwater episode seemed almost like a non-GOT universe based episode if that makes sense. Primarily due to the fact that it focused solely on the battle and those involved / affected by it and did not include any of the other storylines. Also the epic Bruckheimer-esque special effects were cool and all but it was apparent they saved most of their FX budget to blow their wod on the big scenes in the episode. For me it just felt very non GOT esque I guess, then again, I am more of a fan of the character interactions and plot twists then big action based scenes.

This episode however surpassed all of my expectations with the only blip being the Winterfell aftermath. I don't getting, it seems there have been a handful of scenes this season where the director/writers just drop the ball in explaining what happened. Most times they do clear it up in the following episode but it still seems unnesseccary to me. The only other item I felt weird about was that Tywin did not even recognize the accomplishments of Tyrion. Just felt strange to me that he gave Tyrion then hand of the king and I think it is safe to say that Tyrion surpassed all expectations. Tywin just rode in on his horse and took all of the glory and that was that.

Anyway, really glad they wrapped everything up the way they did. Looks like the North of the Wall storyline is finally going to pickup steam. Also, I do not get all of the hate about the Dany storyline. I thought it was the highlight for sure and cannot wait to see it developed further.
Old 06-04-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Count me as one of the people that didn't get what happened at Winterfell. The "previously on" segment, one of Robb's men said that Theon's men would give him up easily and that his bastard son would help. So it didn't surprise me that Theon was knocked out by his own men, but Winterfell destroyed and abandoned afterwards was very confusing.

I thought Dany's storyline was the weakest all season, but it had the best payoff. It was a bummer that Tyrion didn't get any recognition for Battle of Blackwater. I was hoping Sansa would have gone with the Hound and Jaqen would have joined Arya.
Old 06-04-12, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thebunk
The only other item I felt weird about was that Tywin did not even recognize the accomplishments of Tyrion. Just felt strange to me that he gave Tyrion then hand of the king and I think it is safe to say that Tyrion surpassed all expectations. Tywin just rode in on his horse and took all of the glory and that was that.
I seem to recall that when Joffrey was named King, he announced that Tywin was to be hand of the king...but Tywin had Tyrion act in his place for the time being.
Old 06-04-12, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I think it's clear that we don't know exactly what they were going to do with Greyjoy, but they were getting the hell out of there. As for the apparent book spoiler, it appears to be a book spoiler unless the OP can remind us were this is shown in the TV show.
It was mentioned several times in the show, including in the "Previously on" right before the start of last night's show. That was Roose Bolton Robb was talking to. Robb tells him to send his bastard to retake Winterfell.
Old 06-04-12, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by KirstenS
It was mentioned several times in the show, including in the "Previously on" right before the start of last night's show. That was Roose Bolton Robb was talking to. Robb tells him to send his bastard to retake Winterfell.
Thank you for that.
Old 06-04-12, 08:42 AM

But why would an ally of Robb destroy Winterfell? Even if they didn't allow those men to surrender and walk away, how much destruction would be needed to kill all 20 of them?
Old 06-04-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was pretty badass, the way Dany had her dragons burn up the magician dude and then locked Tyler Perry in his own vault. What was the dragon's name?

I wish we had seen Tyrion's sellsword, he needs a friend.

Zombies!
Old 06-04-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Is this a joke?
ducksauce is the nickname given to xaro xaro daxos, that when spoken sounds like ducksauce, Andy Greenwald a reviewer/podcaster for Grantland coined that nickname, and other reviewers have mentioned it.

actually, several reviewers mentioned that it sounded like duck sauce, including the LA times Laura Hudson and Jenifer Braun of the Star Ledger.

Do a search for Game of thrones and ducksauce lol
Old 06-04-12, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by RUSF18
But why would an ally of Robb destroy Winterfell? Even if they didn't allow those men to surrender and walk away, how much destruction would be needed to kill all 20 of them?
I guess we'll see in a year, huh?
Old 06-04-12, 09:24 AM

I guess we'll see in a year, huh?
I don't doubt it, it just comes across as clumsily done. We know that Robb has given orders that he wants Theon but is willing to let the rest of his "army" walk. Then you have those same 20 men wanting to quit and go home. Smash cut to a burning castle?

Not everything should be explained by "you'll see..."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.