TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother -- 1 Hour Finale -- "The Magician's Code" -- 5/14/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- 1 Hour Finale -- "The Magician's Code" -- 5/14/12

Originally Posted by joefrog91
Blah. THAT was obvious. I called exactly how they would reveal it.

Hold your applause.
Old 05-16-12, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Just realized that everyone in the group goes through a failed engagement.

Marshall and Lily at the end of season one.

Robin and Kumar.

Ted and Stella

Barney and Quinn

What a bunch of losers.
I don't think I've known anyone who broke off an engagement; they always just go ahead and get married for a brief, miserable time before getting divorced.
Old 05-16-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
ugh, Ted and Victoria again.
I like Victoria. At this point I'd rather just pick someone we know and make her the mom, than parading in more random chicks. Basically, move the fucking plot along. Seven full years and Ted is still spinning his wheels.

Originally Posted by Dash
I loved Barneys magic trick
Highlight of the episode.

Originally Posted by MrX
That was the least shocking reveal ever at the end.
No kidding. It would have been more shocking if it was Quinn. I think I would have preferred it.
Old 05-16-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sad thing is that Barney won't have any kids. (With Robin)
Old 05-16-12, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
I like victoria. she's cute and seems a good fit. I've pegged her as mom for a while now....hoping this continues next year and beyond.

And yes, we all knew Barney and Robin were it. not a big shock, but should be entertaining to see what happens to Quinn (who is hot as hell btw...i'll miss her).
I like Victoria too. According to what I read, Victoria was originally set to be the mother, if HIMYM wasn't renewed for whatever season she showed up on.

I think the premise "How I Met Your Mother" has run it's course and the writers are just making up stuff until CBS cancels the damn show. The last good season for me was season 4 after that all the characters became parodies of themselves. There are only a few comedy shows that can last this long and be good. To bad this is not one of them.

I didn't watch HIMYM from the beginning, I decided to take a chance and buy the DVD seasons for 1-5 while 6 was playing. I will not purchase any more HIMYM dvds until the writers stop writing crappy stories and start making stories to reach the end game.
Old 05-16-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't think I've known anyone who broke off an engagement; they always just go ahead and get married for a brief, miserable time before getting divorced.
I talked to an old friend of mine at my 10-year HS reunion (hadn't seen him since graduation). He ended a relationship like 2 months before he was going to get married and only told me, "Whatever, I'm just really glad she didn't get half my shit." No real point to that, other than to say that it does happen.

Anyway, I'm really hoping this next season is officially the last. They're treading water at this point. I hate the idea of Barney & Robin getting back together - It was such a fucking trainwreck the first time, I have a hard time believing they've changed enough to make it work. But I also like Quinn for Barney, since they actually make sense. I wonder if the deal-breaker is going to be that Quinn really wants kids and Barney doesn't.

And I fail to see them making Ted/Victoria interesting again. They were cute the first time around, now he's just a dick that ruined some other guy's wedding day - the fact that he acknowledged how much it sucks to have that happen and did it anyway just makes him a bigger dick. The move reminds me a lot of Scrubs in that regard, and it kind of ruins the Ted character.

I guess I'm just tired of the "will they/won't they" shit that permeates sitcoms. I'm starting to think that if a show starts revisiting old flames, then it's time for said show to hang it up.
Old 05-16-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent finale for me. While the other sitcoms I watch seemed to falter this season(especially with their finales) HIMYM did not. Still looking forward to another season.
Old 05-17-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Bleh. This show still makes me laugh but I am really annoyed with the decisions they are making with the characters. So now Ted and Victoria have reunited/almost reunited what, 3 times? Spinning his wheels indeed.

And I really wanted Barney to marry Quinn. We know he really wants a family. And Robin doesn't want/end up having kids. So that means no kids for Barney now. Sad.

I will tune in next season, but I'm really unhappy with the turns this finale took.
Old 05-17-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a straight sitcom, not a drama/serialized show, or even a dramedy, so it doesn't matter too much how they "advance" the story.

But yeah, most sitcoms can't keep the quality beyond the 5th season.
Old 05-17-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty subtle there with all the talk of misdirections.

How Ted meets the mother has always been the least interesting aspect of the show to me. I like the characters, the chemistry, and the style of storytelling. It has its weak episodes, but I still enjoy tuning in every week and will continue to do so.
Old 05-17-12, 10:15 AM

I like how everyone says Barney and Robin can't have kids, but they can always adopt. Problem solved.
Old 05-17-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackslade
I like how everyone says Barney and Robin can't have kids, but they can always adopt. Problem solved.
Did Future Ted ever say "And that's why Aunt Robin never had biological kids, kids"? Because unless he did, there's no reason the writers can't make her hava a miracle baby.
Old 05-17-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CharlieK
How Ted meets the mother has always been the least interesting aspect of the show to me. I like the characters, the chemistry, and the style of storytelling. It has its weak episodes, but I still enjoy tuning in every week and will continue to do so.
Same here.
Old 05-17-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Which is all fine and dandy but when the show's premise is centered around the only character not evolving it's a problem. Everyone else on the show has grown and left Ted behind.

If it's just about the humor and chemistry of the cast, just drop the voice over and never mention the future wife or kids again and treat it like a normal sitcom.

Originally Posted by madcougar
Did Future Ted ever say "And that's why Aunt Robin never had biological kids, kids"? Because unless he did, there's no reason the writers can't make her hava a miracle baby.
Didn't voice over Ted mention at some point that Robin never had kids? I seem to recall that happening.
Old 05-17-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The voice overs and the future talk is a storytelling device. It's used to have "flash backs" that take place after the action in the episode. Its what makes HIMYM unique. If they dropped the narration and it was a straight sitcom it wouldn't be nearly as fun.
Old 05-17-12, 12:31 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FatTony
now he's just a dick that ruined some other guy's wedding day - the fact that he acknowledged how much it sucks to have that happen and did it anyway just makes him a bigger dick.
This is exactly my biggest problem with the episode. Ted running off with Victoria after mentioning that really bothered me. The only reason I can see it being interesting is due to the fallout of him breaking up the wedding and his friends thinking that he's a jerk for doing it to someone else.
Old 05-17-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Didn't voice over Ted mention at some point that Robin never had kids? I seem to recall that happening.
I don't remember, but there's a big difference between never having kids and never adopting them.
Old 05-17-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which is all fine and dandy but when the show's premise is centered around the only character not evolving it's a problem. Everyone else on the show has grown and left Ted behind.

If it's just about the humor and chemistry of the cast, just drop the voice over and never mention the future wife or kids again and treat it like a normal sitcom.
I guess I'll stick with fine and dandy, then. I have faith that before the show ends its run, it will, in fact, show us how Ted met the mother. That's all I really need from that standpoint. Character development on a sitcom isn't important to me. If it's there like on Scrubs, cool. If not, I won't miss it. As long as the characters stay likeable and say funny things, I'll be there.
Old 05-18-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackslade
I may be misremembering, but in the episode where Robin narrated (this season), didn't she end the episode by saying she never had kids?
Old 05-18-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I may be misremembering, but in the episode where Robin narrated (this season), didn't she end the episode by saying she never had kids?

I remembered the same thing.
Old 05-18-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
Anyway, I'm really hoping this next season is officially the last. They're treading water at this point. I hate the idea of Barney & Robin getting back together - It was such a fucking trainwreck the first time, I have a hard time believing they've changed enough to make it work. But I also like Quinn for Barney, since they actually make sense. I wonder if the deal-breaker is going to be that Quinn really wants kids and Barney doesn't.

I guess I'm just tired of the "will they/won't they" shit that permeates sitcoms. I'm starting to think that if a show starts revisiting old flames, then it's time for said show to hang it up.
Yep, agree with both points. Barney and Robin was a craptacular left turn the show took and from which it apparently will never return. A completely unbelievable and stupid contrivance from the get-go, and ruined the most fun and interesting aspects of both characters. It reminds me so much of when the writers of Friends put Monica and Chandler together, which to me was the jump the shark point that killed much of the funny in that show.

I have really liked HIMYM for most of its run, but the last two seasons have become increasingly tired and exasperating. I hope CBS lets it come to a graceful end soon instead of "Scrubs-ing" it.
Old 05-18-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Yep, agree with both points. Barney and Robin was a craptacular left turn the show took and from which it apparently will never return. A completely unbelievable and stupid contrivance from the get-go, and ruined the most fun and interesting aspects of both characters. It reminds me so much of when the writers of Friends put Monica and Chandler together, which to me was the jump the shark point that killed much of the funny in that show.
See I didn't mind the Monica/Chandler pairing(their personalities actually fit each other) it was when they went to the Joey & Rachel well that it was clear they were creatively bankrupt.

But yeah, Barney & Robin remind me of Friends. Barney has chemistry with Quinn, not Robin so why force the character down the path that clearly doesn't work?
Old 05-18-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
I have really liked HIMYM for most of its run, but the last two seasons have become increasingly tired and exasperating.
Old 05-19-12, 03:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I feel sorry for Quinn
Old 05-19-12, 09:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I feel sorry for Quinn
what if its a fake out and its a double wedding with barney and quinn and robin and someone else?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.