NBC Announces Fall 2012-13 Schedule

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Announces Fall 2012-13 Schedule

Old 05-14-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBC Announces Fall 2012-13 Schedule

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Oh please. The only reason Fringe wasn't cancelled seasons ago is because Warner Bros practically throws money at Fox to keep it on. Sony already sold Community to Comedy Central. They don't need to reduce budgets and toss money at NBC to keep Community on the air anymore, nor will they.

The show's as good as dead.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Community is averaging about a 1.3/1.4 on Thursdays...and airing after Whitney I can see a 1.0/1.1. Which is still pretty good for Friday. But gees..Whitney? WTF is NBC thinking.
As much as I hate to say it, the only real change of survival for "Community" is this move. It can't keep pulling 1.3/1.4 on Thursdays, but if it can pull above a 1.0 on Friday's NBC will be happy. Look at Grimm, it never goes above a 1.6 and NBC considers it one of their biggest success stories last year.

And as far as syndication goes, yes it has been sold, but the more episodes produced the more money that SONY (the production company behind the series) will make off the deal. Anything less than 88 episodes means a small syndication fee, if the show makes it between 88-100 episodes they are bound to get a much larger fee (evenmore so if the series goes beyond 100 episodes). This helps the show, because SONY has a history of doing everything they can to get a show to syndication even if it means giving it away almost - "'Til Death'" anyone? It's the smartest place on the schedule if NBC wants to survive because a fourth year show isn't going to gain viewers.

Personally I think this is a very strong schedule. They gave their 2 drama pilots with the most buzz/potential the 2 best timeslots on the schedule (behind 'The Voice' and 'Law and Order SVU') and they finally gave up on Thursdays @10 with 'Rock Center' until they can find a strong enough Drama.
Old 05-14-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chicago Fire looks very generic and formulaic. Looks like they're going with gratuitous shirtlessness to get female viewers though and I suppose using firefighters is a slight change from the usual cops/lawyers/federal agent procedural shows. Other than Rescue Me, I can't think of any successful firefighter shows.
Old 05-14-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Revolution seems very, very interesting...I like the concept. This is NBC though, so I doubt I give it a chance right away, considering they'll cancel it at a moment's notice. But I do need something to replace House...

I assume that Hannibal will suck. Nobody other than Hopkins works as Lecter in my mind.

Nothing else sounds even remotely interesting, although Chicago Fire might work.
Old 05-14-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by argh923
I assume that Hannibal will suck. Nobody other than Hopkins works as Lecter in my mind.

I don't know, Brian Cox was a good Lecktor in Manhunter., but that's just me as well. Even though I thouroughly enjoy Hopkins in the role.

I think with the right actor it could work - on cable...
Old 05-14-12, 01:52 PM

Animal Practice looks like a parody of a show, like something stupid you'd think of to make fun of a network's new comedy offerings.
Old 05-14-12, 02:01 PM

Parks and Rec, The Office, 30 Rock, and Community for me. When these shows are gone I'm done with NBC.
Old 05-14-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/its-...-and-reliance/

Crossbones, a new 10 episode Pirate action adventure from the creator of Luther, was also greenlit. It will premiere midseason.
Old 05-14-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
Animal Practice looks like a parody of a show, like something stupid you'd think of to make fun of a network's new comedy offerings.
Like Animal Insticts from Forgetting Sarah Marshall...
Old 05-14-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by argh923
Revolution seems very, very interesting...I like the concept. This is NBC though, so I doubt I give it a chance right away, considering they'll cancel it at a moment's notice. But I do need something to replace House...

Nothing else sounds even remotely interesting, although Chicago Fire might work.
Uh, I think you're confusing NBC with CBS. NBC lets shows run well past their prime, especially hour longs. Awake couldn't even muster up a 1.0 in the demo and has had its full 13 episodes run (or will in about a week). Same goes for Prime Suspect which never cracked a 2.0 in the demo (and eventually dropped to 0.7) got all its episodes aired. So in that regard, NBC does a better job than Fox, ABC and CBS in actually airing their shows. They seem to actually give their shows a season to try and catch on, unlike say CBS (who loves canceling shows after 3 episodes, even with ratings that would be reasonable for any other network).

Hell, they're still airing The Firm. I just hope a show like Revolution has the intelligence to make the first season somewhat self-contained with story strands that will continue if it continues.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-14-12 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
I don't know, Brian Cox was a good Lecktor in Manhunter., but that's just me as well. Even though I thouroughly enjoy Hopkins in the role.

I think with the right actor it could work - on cable...
Cox was pretty good in Manhunter and of course Hopkins is known for the role. Didn't like the young guy they cast for the Hannibal WW II prequel movie as a young version.

I can't think of any 40-something British actors they could cast as the character. I'm fine with the guy they cast as Will Graham (Hugh Dancy). He looks closer IMO of what Graham should look like than Ed Norton. But, noone will ever top William Petersen as the character.
Old 05-14-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
Reminds me of Children's Hospital on Cartoon Network.
Old 05-14-12, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
"Cult". You mean shows that are only on the schedule to reach a certain amount of episodes for Syndication (Fringe, Chuck, Community, 'Til Death, Supernatural, etc.). Those are not "cult" shows. They are shows with meager ratings that the network stood by for three Seasons and gave them a 4th (and 5th in some cases; Fringe/Chuck!), because the respective studio gave it to them for pennies on the dollar. I like how mid 1 ratings are now "strong cult" shows.
Are you completely ignorant? Community and Fringe are the very definition of cult shows.

For reference, the definition: "cult media: a film, book, band, or video game, among other things, will be said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fan base.

You may be old and therefore not understand this, but Community (and its stars) are very big with college kids and the young demographic in general. Donald Glover, in particular, who's been big since his days with Derrick Comedy, has blown up because of the exposure he's received from it to the point that he's gotten his own standup special on Comedy Central and released his first studio album. The Community subreddit is also the most popular TV-related forum on reddit, with posts about the show (including the recently posted renewal announcement) regularly reaching the front page.

Community's fans are people who download and torrent shows and do not watch them live, which has always explained the low ratings. It's a completely different beast than some failure like Til' Death.
Old 05-14-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Down to Community & Celebrity Apprentice for me. Fox (only Fringe), NBC, and ABC (Modern Family & Happy Endings) are tearing it up on my must watch list.
Old 05-14-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Uh, I think you're confusing NBC with CBS. NBC lets shows run well past their prime, especially hour longs. Awake couldn't even muster up a 1.0 in the demo and has had its full 13 episodes run (or will in about a week). Same goes for Prime Suspect which never cracked a 2.0 in the demo (and eventually dropped to 0.7) got all its episodes aired. So in that regard, NBC does a better job than Fox, ABC and CBS in actually airing their shows. They seem to actually give their shows a season to try and catch on, unlike say CBS (who loves canceling shows after 3 episodes, even with ratings that would be reasonable for any other network).

Hell, they're still airing The Firm. I just hope a show like Revolution has the intelligence to make the first season somewhat self-contained with story strands that will continue if it continues.
I think that for NBC though, they continue to air these shows because they have nothing else to replace them with. Other than The Voice, their schedule is full of lowly rated shows. Such a far cry from their glory days in the mid-late 90s. Remember how utterly dominant their Thursday lineup used to be?
Old 05-15-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

what's going to happen to Kelly kapoor on the Office with Mindy going off to do her show on Fox?
Old 05-15-12, 09:33 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I think moving Community to Fridays might help it. It was going up against juggernauts on Thursdays. Putting Whitney in front of it won't do it any favors, though. I thought that POS was going to get cancelled.

I'm not sold on any of the new shows yet, except maybe Revolution. So far, I'm just in for:

30 Rock
Up All Night
Parks and Rec
Community
Grimm
Old 05-15-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
what's going to happen to Kelly kapoor on the Office with Mindy going off to do her show on Fox?
They should deport her because she's not a citizen. That would be funny. They will probably marry her off to the doctor she was dating.
Old 05-15-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

None of their new shows look that interesting.

I wish they would do another superhero drama.

Heroes and Capes had their flaws but they were 2 of my favorite shows.
Old 05-15-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
For anyone who cares, the following shows have also been cancelled by NBC:

Fear Factor (again)
The Marriage Ref
Minute to win it
Who do you think you are?
The Sing-Off
I watched The Sing-Off. It had some really good performances, but I'm biased because I've sung a cappella.
Old 05-15-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

The wife and I really liked The Sing Off. Too bad it's gone.
Old 05-15-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Something about Dan Harmon not signed on yet for Season 4 of Community seems to be working its way around Twitter...
http://tvline.com/2012/05/13/communi...n-chevy-chase/

Maybe they should get this guy to write some episodes for Community:

Graham Linehan (Creator, writer of The IT Crowd)

This is a great idea. I would love to see this:
Finally, he dropped this bombshell: he supports the idea of an IT Crowd / Community crossover! Can you imagine Roy and Moss busting into the study room and interacting with the Community gang? Apparently there’s a rumor flying around the Abed will meet Moss at one point. Linehan supports this happening when he says, “[Community] creator Dan [Harmon] is someone I would trust completely with the character.”
Old 05-16-12, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Agree Revolution looks interesting. If anybody likes the vibe of the show I recommend checking out Jerimmiah an old Showtime production. I think it only lasted 2 seasons, but they wrapped up larger story points. Also, it was a JMS production.
Old 05-16-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-16-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm interested in The New Normal and Guys with Kids based upon the cast alone, but seriously? This is the best NBC can come up with? I feel their 2012-2013 wouldn't even cut it on Fox's 1988-1989 broadcast schedule.
Old 05-16-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by arminius
Isn't Last Man Standing on Friday at 8?
It is, on ABC. It's scheduled to start a few weeks late.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.