Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor?
Alicia
3.70%
Chelsea
7.41%
Christina
0%
Kim
74.07%
Sabrina
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13/12

Old 05-13-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13

WTF is up with Bill!?

to Colton's Mom
Old 05-13-12, 09:55 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Re: Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13

Please let Season 25 be Survivor: South Central!
Old 05-13-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Little underwhelmed by Phillipines.
Old 05-13-12, 10:13 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Evacuated due to injury (not a comprehensive list):

Bruce Kanegai (Survivor: Exile Island; 7th Overall)
Gary Stritesky (Survivor: Fiji; 16th overall)
Mike Borassi (Survivor Samoa; 19th overall)
Colton Cumbie (Survivor: One World; 13th overall)
Kourtney Moon (Survivor: One World; 18th overall)
Joe Dowdle (Survivor: Tocatins; 10th overall)
Russell Swan (Survivor: Samoa; 14th overall)
Michael Skupin (Survivor: The Australian Outback; 11th overall)
Jonathon Penner (Survivor: Micronesia; 15th overall; was also in Cook Islands)

Not really evacuated, but was voted out after injury:
James Clement (Survivor: Heroes vs Villians; 14th overall; Was in two other seasons: China & Micronesia)

With this list, I would say that they are going to bring back Colton, Russell, and Courtney (the only girl evac'ed).

But I would love to see Mike and Penner come back.
Old 05-13-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Christina is much hotter than Kim or Chelsea.

And when Probst says "people on the street tell me..." he really means forums like this, right? I don't for one second believe viewers actually have access to him and discuss Survivor.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 05-13-12 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-13-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I don't like Asian women much, but yes. Yes she is.
Old 05-13-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm don't really go Asian either but Christina certainly is hot. Not hotter than Chelsea or Kat but hot none the less.
Old 05-13-12, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chelsea is the official hot chick of this season. Jonas said so.
Old 05-13-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
With this list, I would say that they are going to bring back Colton, Russell, and Courtney (the only girl evac'ed).

Please ... no more Colton (but I fear he's the favorite). Even though Courtney didn't get a chance to do much ... yeah, since she's the only girl you figure she has a good shot.

Has the Philippines season shot yet? Or is it just the Spring season that's in the can before the previous season (in the Fall) has finished? Colton's going to have a tough time if the other players saw this season. Unless they're complete idiots ... oh crap, please no more seasons filled with complete idiots.
Old 05-13-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fake ass tears. I hope the school fire that bitch, Alicia.
Old 05-13-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really evacuated, but was voted out after injury:
James Clement (Survivor: Heroes vs Villians; 14th overall; Was in two other seasons: China & Micronesia)

I'd think that Russell is a no-brainer considering outside of Skupin his exit was the most memorable as the visual of his eyes going to the back of his head was the most jarring.

Kourtney is another one that I'd think would have a very good chance of coming back as she was injured on the very first challenge and I don't think they'd pass her by for this.

That only leaves one spot left and I'd definitely be inclined to agree with you about Colton especially considering the planted audience members complimenting him. But according to another site, Colton was still active on Twitter when filming was going on. And depending on when filming starting in March Colton might have still been in the game (this season on TV) when the rest of the cast left to go to the Philippines. So while I have little doubt they'll bring his awful ass back to play again I don't think it will be this time.

I am really hoping that its Skupin.
Old 05-13-12, 10:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7

And when Probst says "people on the street tell me..." he really means forums like this, right? I don't for one second believe viewers actually have access to him and discuss Survivor.
My guess is mainly Twitter. He live tweets during most episodes and asks/answers questions.
Old 05-13-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope Skupin is part of the cast. He is by far the most famous of the medevac-ed Survivors. Season 2 of Survivor was when the show was at its peak in the pop culture zeitgeist.
Old 05-13-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Survivor: Second Chance (To Fucking Kill You)

Seems like this one is custom-designed to bring Colton back.

I do hope they bring Kourtney back. She was kind of cute, though from what we saw of her, she didn't like she would be a very aggressive player, sort of like Christina. So it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't make the cut.

My guess is: Colton, Mike Skupkin, and black Russell. They're the most high profile emergency medivacs, so I think it will go that way. Penner is a two-timer and James is a three-timer, so I'd count them out, too, though the wiki claims that Penner is a favorite of Probst, so that might get him back. Russell might be a long shot, though, because the last time he was on it looked like he nearly keeled over dead.
Old 05-13-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

The rumor is that its Skupin, Penner, and Swan.
Old 05-13-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I felt like my ovaries finally dropped during that final tribal council, way too much estrogen in the air...
Old 05-13-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I doubt Kourtney will be back; I just read that she was diagnosed with cancer and had a grapefruit-sized tumor removed from her abdomen:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...ey-moon-cancer

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-o...tney-moon.html

I did see her at the reunion, but I don't recall her being interviewed or her illness being mentioned (though I might have missed a few minutes).

I wish her a full and speedy recovery.
Old 05-13-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
The rumor is that its Skupin, Penner, and Swan.
I hope its not Penner. I mean I like the guy. He was in Arrested Development and The Tick but I'd rather see little bitch boy Colton get a second chance than Penner get a third.
Old 05-13-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
I hope its not Penner. I mean I like the guy. He was in Arrested Development and The Tick but I'd rather see little bitch boy Colton get a second chance than Penner get a third.
It may be a third chance for Penner, but he was really running the game on his tribe when he got evacuated. Parvati was toast if that hadn't happened. His leaving completely changed that season.

I think an argument that you have to make is that did their leaving change the season. The only ones on that list that really meet that criteria are Penner, Russell Swan, Mike Skupin, and maybe Colton.
Old 05-14-12, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It may be a third chance for Penner, but he was really running the game on his tribe when he got evacuated. Parvati was toast if that hadn't happened. His leaving completely changed that season.

I think an argument that you have to make is that did their leaving change the season. The only ones on that list that really meet that criteria are Penner, Russell Swan, Mike Skupin, and maybe Colton.
Fair enough.
Old 05-14-12, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The finale couldn't have been more predictable. After Kim won the last immunity challenge, there wasn't any reason to watch the last hour. It was either going to be (1) Well-deserved landslide victory for Kim or (2) Biggest jury rip-off in Survivor history if they gave it to anyone else. So the options were a victory that could be seen weeks ago or an infuriatingly huge injustice.

Boring as the last few weeks have been (thanks to Kim's impeccable strategy of removing all other physical threats along with her having her thralls plus the HII in her pocket), the badly-misnamed "reunion show" was worse.

They really need to just invite the winner along with the 'characters' they want to highlight and leave the other poor slobs with some walking-around $ to see the town. Matt looked miserable the entire time (who wouldn't...the only reason he gets a question is when Probst mistakes him for Mike), and others pretty much get ignored. Even second-place Chelsea barely registers a mention. However, Tarzan, Colton, and Kat get loads of time. About 1/3 of the show seemed to be a set-up for the return of Colton (Philippines?) despite Probst's pointing out how despicable he acted (while the audience is thinking, "Sure, Probst...and you're going to invite him back", even before the planted comments were made). I did have to agree with Colton that the season suffered mightily after his departure.

This has become a pattern unlike the early reunion shows that showed numerous clips, asked the obvious questions that the audience really wanted to hear, showed respect for all of the contestants, and gave us some insight into the differences between what was shown and how things really played out around the camp.

For instance, why didn't Probst ask the few who voted for Sabrina why they went that way rather than the obvious (as confirmed by the 'popular' vote)? How could they vote against someone who controlled the entire last 2/3 of the game, never had to use her HII. won numerous challenges, and was never remotely in danger of being voted out even though she should have had the biggest target on her back? Did they discount her dominance because it was over weak players (themselves)? Were they being sympathetic toward Sabrina because of her job situation? Angry at Kim for being the mastermind (and 'shouldering the blame' as Mike said in tribal)? And what was the correct answer to Troyzan's question?

And we also laughed about the "People on the street are always asking me..." comments from Probst. Unless you're some hot chick from the island or somebody else's wife, Probst ain't stopping to take no questions.

Rather than watching the next reunion show, I'll just catch up on Ponderosa clips.
Old 05-14-12, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I'd love for Skupin to return, though I thought I read somewhere a couple of years ago that they had tried to get him back and he wasn't interested. Obviously, he could change his mind. In fact, he may have watched these clowns on this season and figured it was money in the bank to make a return.

Regarding tonight's finale, I thought it was one of the most boring of any that I could recall. It was humorous to see smug Alicia knocked down, but her remarks after being ousted were so complimentary--mainly for herself because she somehow thought she was the biggest power player out there. Then you have Christina who rolled over when told she was going next. And the final tribal highlights were teary eyes and Tarzan delivering a few more 6 syllable words.

I really wish Survivor would go back to casting every-day folks to compete as opposed to recruiting these cartoon characters. However, I'm not sure it's going to happen.
Old 05-14-12, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Chelsea is the official hot chick of this season. Jonas said so.
Like to see her in a bikini pre-enhancement. Unless she had a non-existent or weird-looking rack (or something the size of those on Tarzan's wife), the natural look always wins out over the ones that look like they came from a novelty shop. Those always have this glued-on look as if they can be removed and put away in a drawer at night. They also don't shrink in proportion to the weight loss during the game, so they look even stranger as the game goes on.
Old 05-14-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
For instance, why didn't Probst ask the few who voted for Sabrina why they went that way rather than the obvious (as confirmed by the 'popular' vote)? How could they vote against someone who controlled the entire last 2/3 of the game, never had to use her HII. won numerous challenges, and was never remotely in danger of being voted out even though she should have had the biggest target on her back? Did they discount her dominance because it was over weak players (themselves)? Were they being sympathetic toward Sabrina because of her job situation? Angry at Kim for being the mastermind (and 'shouldering the blame' as Mike said in tribal)? And what was the correct answer to Troyzan's question?
I agree. The very nature of Survivor makes it great television. It seems as if they try too hard to focus on the crazy folks figuring that's what people want to see.
Old 05-14-12, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cardsfan111

I really wish Survivor would go back to casting every-day folks to compete as opposed to recruiting these cartoon characters.
Amen to that. The antidote to these predictable encounters in which power players get gone early leaving a couple of strategists surrounded by dolts, egomaniacs, sheep, and tv glory-hounds angling for air time is to recruit actual players as opposed to 'characters'. The current set-up seems to feature maybe 6-7 people who seem to know what they're doing, are willing to make big moves, and have a viable chance to win. Along with the desire to win vs. being happy to make it to the final 5 or 6.

I mentioned to the wife that I'd almost rather they find 18 buff, athletic, attractive men and women aged 21-30 just to level the playing field. That way, no one would get voted off because they were too old, or looked too powerful at the start, etc., and no one would get kept simply because they didn't pose any kind of threat to anybody.

However, I'd love to see them go back to what cards-fan describes. Those were the good ole days of Survivor IMHO even though there was the occasional dull season. You still got to know people during the course of the season (as opposed to every spare conversation being about strategy). Like cards, I don't think it's gonna happen. The producers seem fixated on the current formula, and maybe that's what their research shows that a majority want to see.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.