Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13/12

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor?
Alicia
3.70%
Chelsea
7.41%
Christina
0%
Kim
74.07%
Sabrina
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13

All this talking about what the show did wrong, what it can do differently, etc. I hate to say it, but maybe Survivor has just played itself out for us long-time viewers. It's going to be 25 seasons (13th year). How many new variations in the game, strategies, and character types are there left? How many other shows are still fresh after that long?

That said, anything would be improvement over this season. Yeah, previous seasons have had "Pagonging". But at least in those season there was still doubt about the power structure in the core alliance (except for the Boston Rob win year) or intriguing personalities in the final tribal council. This season, after Colton left everything pointed to Kim being the obvious winner. And then it was just a slow boring march to that outcome. Maybe Jeff is right and the switch to 3 tribes will help spur some strategies that haven't been used in a while. It's worth a shot.
Old 05-14-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13

They've done 3 tribes before, they've done 4 tribes before. Anything they do gets erased after a couple of episodes and they merge making it all pointless. I think they need to bring back the racial tribes but keep it up longer than they did last time around, or maybe do a Black vs White (though it would limit the water competitions)

I actually took several seasons off with the Russell stuff and Redemption Island, which I thought both ruined the show so this season being back to normal was good for me.
Old 05-14-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I think they need to bring back the racial tribes but keep it up longer than they did last time around, or maybe do a Black vs White (though it would limit the water competitions).
Old 05-14-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean it was too easy...
Old 05-14-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

maybe do a Black vs White
I've thought of that too. And I bet it would do boffo ratings. They've done young vs. old, male vs. female, so why not?

It'll never happen though.
Old 05-14-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Maybe start with no tribes and have it be an individual competition from the start?

I think changing the prize structure would help the most. No matter if you are the first person out or the last person to be in the jury, you would get the same amount of money. Only the final three (or two) would get any significant prize money. Too many players have been content to just be carried along to the jury. This would pretty much make it an all or nothing scenario that would hopefully give us some better strategies from the players.
Old 05-14-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They did White vs Black vs Asia vs Latino but again they merged so fast that there was no point to it.
Old 05-14-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

They did White vs Black vs Asia vs Latino but again they merged so fast that there was no point to it.
Really? It must have been fast because I don't recall that at all.
Old 05-14-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Howie2000
This season was the all time low for the series and it probably still made CBS tens of millions and would still be highly profitable even if it dropped from a 2.9 to a 1.9.
Hence my point that Survivor will last forever.
Old 05-14-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I want to say it was Ozzy's original season but I don't feel like researching it.

edit:

During this season of Survivor, the contestants were divided into four tribes by ethnicity; African American, Asian American, Hispanic American, and White American, a decision that generated some controversy prior to the premiere. Besides random division or team-choosing by the contestants, tribes had previously been divided by gender and/or age. The respective tribes' names were Manihiki ("Hiki"), Puka Puka ("Puka"), Aitutaki ("Aitu"), and Rarotonga ("Raro"). These four tribes were named after islands located in the Cook Islands. In the third episode, the four tribes evenly divided into two new mixed tribes, just Aitutaki and Rarotonga. After the merge, the tribe decided to name themselves Aitutonga.
Old 05-14-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fact that they don't take a break between the fall and spring has probably hurt the show a little.

I don't know how you convince real celebrities to do the show, but a celebrity survivor would probably do pretty well. I'm not talking about the C and D list losers who permeate reality television, but legit TV stars and athletes. They could up the ante to $1,000,000 for you and $1,000,000 for your fav charity. Maybe you guarantee everyone at least $100,000 for their favorite charity?
Old 05-14-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
Yup. Worst season I've ever watched. Fast-forwarded through much of the 2 hours and it was still a waste of time. Totally agree they need to go back to just regular folks and not caricatures.

When Jonas said Chelsea was voted the hottest, did Kim mutter something like "Oh thanks"?

Also I really wish they'd take the million-dollar winner out of the $100,000 running, but oh well.
As a diehard Survivor fan, I can honestly say this season was the worst. I really hated RI, but Phillip Sheppard managed to keep my interest, and at least there was some uncertainly towards the end how it would all go down.

This season was so boring and predictable. The idols didn't shake anything up, no bitter jury and it was an estrogen fest at the end. I also get bored and annoyed when one single player just wins everything like Kim. She got all the great rewards and all the money with no hard feelings.

Survivor has just lost its appeal by recruiting and casting crazy personalities hoping to find the next Russell. If you go back and watch Bornea, every freaking player was interesting in their own way because Survivor gave us time to get to know these people and their backgrounds. Survivor was hugely popular because everyone could find a player that they could relate to. The show was most about the camp life which is still interesting to see. Apparently Jonas was a huge asset and created some amazing meals. That would have been interesting to see. Tarzan was the tribe doctor and diagnosed and treated his other tribemates. We saw none of that.

Survivor needs to get back to showing more camp life and recruiting more next door neighbor type players.
Old 05-14-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Cook Islands, fall 2006.
Old 05-14-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

They need to go back to normal, everyday people and make it a true Survivor. It seems like every week this season there was a food reward. I don't know if they do this, but they should make sure the cast (they would have to train them individually before the season) has basic survival skills. Then start them out with the bare minimum of food, but put them in a place where food is accessible if they know what they're doing. When they have food rewards they should be few and far between. Bring back the car challenge and make the last challenge one of physical endurance. Have a final 2, not a final 3. In other words.. go back to how it was to begin with!

One thing I do think should be available though is clean water. I think it was in the first Africa season that they had to get water out of what amounted to a mud hole full of animal dung.. that was just wrong.
Old 05-14-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by leeta
One thing I do think should be available though is clean water. I think it was in the first Africa season that they had to get water out of what amounted to a mud hole full of animal dung.. that was just wrong.
It's fine if you can imagine it's Yoohoo.
Old 05-14-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a twist, I'd try a season of giving everyone a secret immunity idol from the get go and see how long it takes for the idiots to blab it to everyone that they have an idol. It would make for some interesting tribals since everyone could possibly play an idol.
Old 05-14-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Cook Islands, fall 2006.
Right, Cook Islands, so that would have been Yul, Ozzy, Becky, and Penner. Parvati too, I think. Actually a number of good players that season (I'm not counting Becky).
Old 05-14-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

The fact that they don't take a break between the fall and spring has probably hurt the show a little.
You mean shooting seasons back to back in the same location? They have done it for a few seasons now. It was done to save money and time scouting a new location.

The Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 cycles were being shot back to back this Spring because Probst is hosting a syndicated talk show in the Fall and he can't be on location this summer. So don't expect alot of creativity in the next 2 editions.
Old 05-14-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
You mean shooting seasons back to back in the same location? They have done it for a few seasons now. It was done to save money and time scouting a new location.

The Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 cycles were being shot back to back this Spring because Probst is hosting a syndicated talk show in the Fall and he can't be on location this summer. So don't expect alot of creativity in the next 2 editions.
I mean that they air a season in the spring and then one in the fall. This basically gives you the summer to "miss" Survivor before it hits you over the head for the next eight months.
Old 05-14-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
As a twist, I'd try a season of giving everyone a secret immunity idol from the get go and see how long it takes for the idiots to blab it to everyone that they have an idol. It would make for some interesting tribals since everyone could possibly play an idol.
Interesting. So everyone gets an "extra life" and they then have to determine how to use it. I like it.
Old 05-14-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I mean that they air a season in the spring and then one in the fall. This basically gives you the summer to "miss" Survivor before it hits you over the head for the next eight months.
So your saying that 2 cycles per year is too much now?
Old 05-14-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm wondering what the ratings would look like if they went back to it being a summer only show. Big Brother has actually been going up in the past few years and they started the same summer as Survivor. People would probably get worn out on it if they had two seasons a year. (And yeah, I know they have one year where they did two seasons.)

If they could bring in some of the people behind MTV's The Challenge, they might be able to improve the show. They are able to come up with better overall challenges on The Challenge and actually do stuff like take them to cold weather environment. Maybe the overall Survivor format doesn't allow for such innovations though.
Old 05-14-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam
That only leaves one spot left and I'd definitely be inclined to agree with you about Colton especially considering the planted audience members complimenting him. But according to another site, Colton was still active on Twitter when filming was going on. And depending on when filming starting in March Colton might have still been in the game (this season on TV) when the rest of the cast left to go to the Philippines. So while I have little doubt they'll bring his awful ass back to play again I don't think it will be this time

Originally Posted by brainee
Please ... no more Colton (but I fear he's the favorite).

Originally Posted by beyond
I read somewhere that the timing doesn't work out with Colton making an appearance. If they've already filmed S25, then he has put on a lot of weight (and then some) for this finale.

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Thank GOD. I was afraid after seeing the previews for next season that he would be one of the three & I'd have to skip next season. I fear for the safety of my TV screen if I ever have to see his stupid smug face on it ever again.

Colton doesn't deserve to be rewarded for his behavior (or Alicia either, for that matter). It sickens me that good ratings and money are all that count in the end. Somebody at CBS or Mark Burnett Productions should show a little integrity and see that he's never invited back for anything ever again. As a society we really need to stop enabling low-class, obnoxious, and vile behavior from people. Instead we just make them all famous millionaires.
Old 05-14-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

This is what Jeff said about Colton:

I don’t know what Colton’s truth is so I won’t guess. We talked for a few minutes before the show and I thought he was going to be a bit more forthcoming about feeling badly about what he said. In fairness, the live show is intimidating for a lot of people. They forget what they want to say. I think you could tell from his mom’s bravery in standing up to speak that there is more than just a “I made some bad comments” — but I do think Colton will probably be on the show again and I would guess he’ll play a similar game.
Old 05-14-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Maybe start with no tribes and have it be an individual competition from the start?

I think changing the prize structure would help the most. No matter if you are the first person out or the last person to be in the jury, you would get the same amount of money. Only the final three (or two) would get any significant prize money. Too many players have been content to just be carried along to the jury. This would pretty much make it an all or nothing scenario that would hopefully give us some better strategies from the players.

I like that idea too, but I don't think 2nd and 3rd place should get anything either. It should literally be an all-or-nothing game. Look at this season. Everyone in the final 7 thought they were Kim's number 2 or 3. None of them made any effort to knock out Kim and try to win the whole thing; they were all content to get 2nd or 3rd place and the prize money that comes along with it ($100,000). If you changed it where only the winner gets any money (beyond a basic appearance fee that all of the contestants would receive), then nobody would be content with anything other than 1st place. It would force everyone to play the game and make big moves. That, more than anything else they could do, would make the show more exciting to watch. Second would be to cease all the ridiculous stunt casting looking for the latest cartoon character weirdos and uber villains. Enough with that already. Even the most ordinary people can be interesting to watch if you actually give them enough time to tell their story and share their opinions. Survivor just wants instant, ready-made characters for the viewers to form instant, ready-made opinions of. All that does is trigger reactions from the viewer, not interest. Audiences always prefer dynamic, complex characters to one-dimensional stereotypes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.