DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC might shorten its returning comedies to 13 episodes (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/601416-nbc-might-shorten-its-returning-comedies-13-episodes.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 05-09-12 06:54 AM

NBC might shorten its returning comedies to 13 episodes

This sucks if it is true.

I hope Parks & Recreation and Up All Night return.

According to as-yet-unsubstantiated rumors, NBC is solving its dilemma of "what comedies should we renew?" by renewing lots of them for shortened 13-episode seasons. It's kind of a have-the-cake-and-eat-it-too situation that would allow NBC to air "farewell seasons" for 30 Rock and The Office while simultaneously launching new comedies to replace them. The report also says that Whitney is probably done, Community's future is still up in the air, and Parks and Recreation is likely to return. [Deadline Hollywood]
http://www.tv.com/news/news-briefs-n...omedies-28601/

http://static.tvfanatic.com/files/30...er_507x328.jpg

http://www.universalstudiosentertain...0x340-2669.jpg

movieking 05-09-12 07:02 AM

Re: NBC might shorten its returning comedies to 13 episodes

Another 13 episodes of Community is better than none, but I think that it is time to just cut the cord with The Office.

conscience 05-09-12 07:11 AM

I don't watch either but Whitney is "probably done" but no mention of Chelsea? Maybe they are trying to wipe it from their collective memories? :lol:

It's understandable about shortening seasons but I'd rather they cut down their dramas instead.

However, as I've said before, all network shows need to start working off a 12/13 episode a season schedule.

dex14 05-09-12 07:27 AM

Dramas are the ones that need to be and should be 13 episodes a season. Comedies are fine at 22. Although...I am all for a FINAL 13 episode run of both The Office and 30 Rock. Both are ready to end, with The Office well overstaying its welcome. P&R is the only comedy I'm upset about not getting a full season. If this was 2 years ago I'd feel the same about Community, IMO its not what it was. Still great, and better than most on TV though.

Michael Corvin 05-09-12 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by movieking (Post 11224748)
Another 13 episodes of Community is better than none, but I think that it is time to just cut the cord with The Office.

Yeah if this means 13 more episodes of Community I'm all for it.

As for the Office, I dumped it last season due to conflicts but watched over the summer and picked it back up this season. I dumped it again a couple weeks ago. Just abysmal. I couldn't even muster up enough energy to make it a few more weeks to the finale.

mdc3000 05-09-12 07:57 AM

I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that Parks and Recreation isn't a megahit, while shows like Big Bang thrive. Only 13 episodes is kind of a piss off. I'd rather have those 13 instead of none, but Parks deserves better. I LOVE Community but I'm strangely fine with only 13 - they can make those 13 excellent, since overall I find that show to be much more hit and miss. I'm hoping that Up All Night makes the cut, since I really grew to like it a lot.

30 Rock is mostly dead to me now anyhow, so I don't give a shit either way on that one.

cdollaz 05-09-12 08:15 AM

I'd like a wrapup season for the office as well. We haven't yet seen how Angela is going to find out about her gay husband.

Gizmo 05-09-12 09:30 AM

Doubtful.

P&R is 20 away from Syndication. So it'll get at least that since it's a Universal produced show.

Community is going to be syndicated on Comedy Central, so a full season will practically be free for NBC (Sony hasn't had a syndicated show in a long ass time besides 'Til Death).

Anything other than the above shows how stupid NBC is. The Office is barely breaking 2.0's and everything else has failed. "Spackle" is what the shows will be, but who cares at this point. NBC is screwed.

rfduncan 05-09-12 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by conscience (Post 11224753)
However, as I've said before, all network shows need to start working off a 12/13 episode a season schedule.

This. 22 episodes always leaves huge GAPING hole in the season where nothing new is on. You could do 3 seasons of 3 different 12 episode/season shows in a timeslot and never have to do repeats... making the initial airing "must see TV".

critterdvd 05-09-12 12:48 PM

I like the strategy. According to Variety very, very few shows will be getting a 22 episode order next year (if any) because they are going to start programming "more like cable" with shows premiering and season premiers in a normal rotation. This way all the renewable comedies will have to compete with the new crop to see who will continue into 2013/14. The rumor is 18 episodes is the maximum for them this year (which is kinda what they've already started doing with "Parenthood," "Awake," and "Smash").

RichC2 05-09-12 01:01 PM

Fewer episodes of higher quality is alright by me. I just want more Community.

Parks and Rec is essentially a lock right now.

Matt 05-09-12 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 11224824)
I'd like a wrapup season for the office as well. We haven't yet seen how Angela is going to find out about her gay husband.

It sounds like this may be dealt with during tomorrow's season finale.

Spoiler:
Mike Schur is Mose as we speak," Lieberstein reveals. "He is shooting something right now for us. In the season finale, we answer the paternity question and Mose is involved in that story."

Say whosey whatsy what now? Don't tell us Mose is somehow the baby daddy?

Yeah, of course not. When asked if Mose has learned sex, Lieberstein quips, "He has learned it wrong." We assume, not the baby-makin' way...? The mind reels!

So will the Angela's baby paternity question be totally settled by season's end? Lieberstein teases: "Dwight and Angela is thrown forward definitely and their relationship takes a turn."

wishbone 05-09-12 01:23 PM

Sounds like NBC liked how shortened seasons worked for Parks and Rec, Community, etc., and now they can work shows in and out of the schedule. Less commitment by the network with less money being spent.

chuckd21 05-09-12 01:30 PM

Community and Up All Night need to return to TV. That's all I care about at this point. I like The Office but won't be sad when it ends.

EdTheRipper 05-09-12 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 11225126)
This. 22 episodes always leaves huge GAPING hole in the season where nothing new is on. You could do 3 seasons of 3 different 12 episode/season shows in a timeslot and never have to do repeats... making the initial airing "must see TV".

I like this idea quite a bit. As I've said in the weekly Glee threads, the stretches of time when the show isn't airing really hurts my interest level. I'm fine with shorter, tighter seasons.

Shannon Nutt 05-09-12 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11224767)
Dramas are the ones that need to be and should be 13 episodes a season. Comedies are fine at 22. Although...I am all for a FINAL 13 episode run of both The Office and 30 Rock. Both are ready to end, with The Office well overstaying its welcome. P&R is the only comedy I'm upset about not getting a full season. If this was 2 years ago I'd feel the same about Community, IMO its not what it was. Still great, and better than most on TV though.

I agree with this 100%

Troy Stiffler 05-09-12 02:54 PM

Yea. Cut The Office. And make Gabe the Scranton Strangler before it's too late. I know that they caught the strangler a season or two ago. But I still think there are some intentions there.

I'll be bummed if anything happens to 30 Rock and Community. Parks and Rec too. But 30 Rock and Community are really the only shows that I follow and would miss. Cancel The Office, Family Guy, etc. and no biggie. But I'd hate to see those two shows not return. Up All Night is alright filler, but not that appealing to me.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-09-12 03:46 PM

I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that Parks and Recreation isn't a megahit, while shows like Big Bang thrive. Only 13 episodes is kind of a piss off. I'd rather have those 13 instead of none, but Parks deserves better.
Because people are stupid. I don't understand how Greys Anatomy is still on the air and this is what Parks & Rec is losing too in the ratings?

I just hope Parks & Rec and 30 Rock return in Sept or Oct and we don't have to wait until Jan 2013.

madcougar 05-09-12 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 11225464)
Because people are stupid. I don't understand how Greys Anatomy is still on the air and this is what Parks & Rec is losing too in the ratings?

I just hope Parks & Rec and 30 Rock return in Sept or Oct and we don't have to wait until Jan 2013.

I don't think it has anything to do with stupid. I love Community. Love it. But I also like BBT. The difference for me is I can watch BBT in the background and still enjoy it because it's an easy watch with pretty simple jokes. It doesn't ask a major commitment from me.

Now when I watch Community, I will sit in front of the television and will pay close attention to it because I know that it's much meatier.

I suspect that most people watch television for simple entertainment and don't want to breakdown every joke and refernece. That's why shows like Arrested Development and Community don't ever do very well. Hell, how many people made it to the end of Lost? Not as many as started. It was a lot of work to watch the show.

Deftones 05-09-12 04:23 PM

I'm on the fence. I want more episodes than 13 for P&R and Community, but if the choice is between 0 or 13, I'll take 13 episodes every time.

Jimmy James 05-09-12 09:47 PM

Maybe they'll see that P&R is by far their strongest comedy from a creative perspective (with apologies to Community which is even more adventurous but isn't on the hot streak P&R is on). Could we perhaps see 13 for the others and 26 for P&R? :)

DJariya 05-09-12 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11224767)

I know creatively 13 episode shows end up being stronger. But, cable seasons don't run as long as a network season and they don't have as much money going into their shows. Plus, no matter how bad the ratings are, cable networks let the show's always finish their season.

You do realize that the network would have to greenlight twice as many shows to program for 36 weeks with no repeats. You would need to program for the Fall and Spring. What happens if on a Monday that 2 of 3 new dramas failed and got the axe. Do you move your Spring shows immediately to replace them? What happens if they aren't ready because of a late production start? Then the network would have to spend money for filler shows in case those shows failed.

Plus, shows don't make their money back on the initial airing. They need to be repeated eventually during the slow months like November/December or Early Spring to help make their money back.

My Other Self 05-09-12 10:09 PM

I can absolutely see NBC doing this concept but I wouldn't see the other networks following suit.

God, what a mess going on over there. I'll take another 13 episodes of Community I just think no matter what NBC does though it's going to be screwed. They'll never climb out of 4th.

conscience 05-10-12 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11225892)
I know creatively 13 episode shows end up being stronger. But, cable seasons don't run as long as a network season and they don't have as much money going into their shows. Plus, no matter how bad the ratings are, cable networks let the show's always finish their season.

You do realize that the network would have to greenlight twice as many shows to program for 36 weeks with no repeats. You would need to program for the Fall and Spring. What happens if on a Monday that 2 of 3 new dramas failed and got the axe. Do you move your Spring shows immediately to replace them? What happens if they aren't ready because of a late production start? Then the network would have to spend money for filler shows in case those shows failed.

Plus, shows don't make their money back on the initial airing. They need to be repeated eventually during the slow months like November/December or Early Spring to help make their money back.

Since they wouldn't be putting money into 22 episodes per show (only about half that), they could, feasibly, make twice as many shows for around the same amount of money.

And then you can add in a reality show here or there to fill the gaps.

DJLinus 05-10-12 09:21 AM

I would actually be down with this idea, especially if it's the only way to keep Community on the air. I've long preferred the cable/UK model of shorter, tighter, more focused seasons.

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11225892)

Put Jay Leno on at 10. Problem solved. :)