TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Old Gods and the New" -- 5/06/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Old Gods and the New" -- 5/06/12

Originally Posted by Decker
I swear, seeing Mad Men and Game of Thrones back to back, it might be the best two-hour block in the history of television. Two top quality shows that just keep delivering.
I had to push watching Mad Men to Monday night b/c I couldn't handle it. I felt watching MM right after GOT would mean I wouldn't be giving it it's just due.

I kept waiting for Ghost to show up just to shut up Ygritte. That's quite a trump card that Jon Snow holds.

They certainly held back the Hound/Sansa scenes to relatively late in the season. He seemed to understand her last season.

Given how wild Shaggy Dog is supposed to be, I'm surprised he would be that quiet in the Winterfell escape.

I really, really like the Arya/Tywin Lannister scenes. Even if they don't really make sense, I think they add quite a bit to the show.
Old 05-07-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

loved the (stark ) contrast of the new "prince" of Winterfell's execution scene compared with the clean execution in season 1 episode 1 by Ice
Old 05-07-12, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Seeing Tonks nude was a pleasant surprise.
Old 05-07-12, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is Tonks?
Old 05-07-12, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Theon was able to take Winterfell with like 20 men? I mean yeah, most of the able fighting men went to war but it is a castle and we're talking about Theon. Wouldn't the two dire wolves been able to help?

Hodor was able to hide? Hodor?!?!

So does Tyrion see Sansa as a person or an asset? I believe the answer for Joffrey would be neither.

Where was Bronn?
Old 05-07-12, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Who is Tonks?
The actress who plays Osha played Tonks in Harry Potter.
Old 05-07-12, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dalbowski

So does Tyrion see Sansa as a person or an asset? I believe the answer for Joffrey would be neither.

I dont think he was able to hide. I just think Osha managed to free him. Just as she did with the boys.

Sansa is literally the only thing keeping Robb from chopping Jaimey into little pieces. That makes her extremely valuable. He may feel sorry for her on some level. But considering how he just shipped off his Niece, I dont think Tyrion lets sentiment color his actions much. I think the Hound actually cares about her.
Old 05-07-12, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Everyone notice Rose Leslie from DOWNTON ABBEY playing Ygritte? Sadly, she's too far north to take her top off.
Old 05-07-12, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
The last thread more than doubled the season average post count and only 7.34% of it related to the episode at hand. We can beat that easily.
You realize that your post is part of the 92.66%, right? Oh wait, damn, so is mine...uh...er...how about the rack on the wilding chick, huh?
Old 05-07-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Theon was able to take Winterfell with like 20 men?
This was the first time this season where I felt like there was a big lack of scale again. Last season it felt that way a lot, but the Winterfell scene just felt a little off (like he took it over with a couple guys, and then they escaped by killing his only guard). I know the point was that he took it over with a small force, but even that wasn't represented very well.

Still, I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, especially King's Landing and Qarth. Continue to love Arya, but I didn't feel her little dance with Littlefinger really worked.
Old 05-07-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
This was the first time this season where I felt like there was a big lack of scale again. Last season it felt that way a lot, but the Winterfell scene just felt a little off (like he took it over with a couple guys, and then they escaped by killing his only guard). I know the point was that he took it over with a small force, but even that wasn't represented very well.
It really was a small force though, wasn't it? Just the men getting on the launch that left Theon behind, plus Theon and the other guy (Finchy). Like 15 or 20 men tops? It does seem like barely enough to watch over even half of Winterfell though, and then only if none of them ever sleep. I guess that's why it was so important for Bran to yield Winterfell and the people to Theon, conceding that Theon is now the "official" Lord of Winterfell.

I liked how the Theon/Bran moments were like an older brother entertaining himself by bullying a younger brother (stop hitting yourself!) until he found himself more or less forced to execute Rodrick. It wasn't until then I felt like he really crossed over to the dark side.
Old 05-07-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
You realize that your post is part of the 92.66%, right? Oh wait, damn, so is mine...uh...er...how about the rack on the wilding chick, huh?
A nice departure from the book...
Spoiler:
Bran had bathed with his sisters hundreds of times and he'd seen serving women in the hot pools too. Osha looked different, though, hard and sharp instead of soft and curvy. Her legs were all sinew, her breasts flat as two empty purses. "You've got a lot of scars."
Old 05-07-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thrush
But considering how he just shipped off his Niece, I dont think Tyrion lets sentiment color his actions much.
He didn't do this because he's a dick, he did it to keep the line alive should something happen to King's Landing where he, Cersei, Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen already are and Jaime in captivity. That and to broker an alliance between the Lannisters and the Dornish people. Pre-GoT events would show that relationship is tenuous at best.
Old 05-07-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I swear, seeing Mad Men and Game of Thrones back to back, it might be the best two-hour block in the history of television. Two top quality shows that just keep delivering.
Totally agreed. This makes the knowledge I have to get up for the work week in the morning a lot more tolerable.
Old 05-07-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where was Bronn?
Hodor never hid. I assume he was probably asleep when Theon took Winterfell. He was in the background at the beheading, and then I assume Osha freed him on her way out.

I think Tyrion sees her as both. He's not a dick so he realizes she's a person, but he also knows she's a lot more valuable than just that.

Maybe Cersei didn't want Tyrion's lackey down at the docks when Myrcella got sent away and he decided to be nice not expecting a riot. Who knows though. Episode definitely needed more Bronn.
Old 05-07-12, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It's a shame that this story is pre-Industrial age because she could use a good motorboating.

As to Ser Rodrick teaching Theon to fight, Theon is a weak ass, he took 3 swings with the sword and still had to kick the head off.

I lost the signal for the last 15 minutes but I was able to record it on HBO West so I'll finish up the story tonight. Or go to HBO GO if need be.

Did Catelyn ever introduce Brienne to Robb? Seems like that would have been natural after Robb introduced his mother to the healer.
Old 05-07-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That riot scene was pretty intense. I was really worried whether they were going to go "there" with Sansa. And I think they got a little inspiration from The Walking Dead by having the mob tear that poor dude's arm off.

I miss Jaime and Varys. And Cersei needs more to do. She's only had two tiny scenes in the past two eps and wasn't in the 4th one at all. Jon's storyline is kinda boring me, especially with Sam being off-screen. Iceland looks spectacular though.
Old 05-07-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I didn't really care for the arm coming off.
Old 05-07-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
The actress who plays Osha played Tonks in Harry Potter.
HAHA Harry Potter. Its so sad that anyone here has even seen that garbage. Must have a lot of 12 year olds and lonely housewives hanging around.
Old 05-07-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sven
HAHA Harry Potter. Its so sad that anyone here has even seen that garbage. Must have a lot of 12 year olds and lonely housewives hanging around.
Your terrible opinion is noted. Let's at least attempt to keep this thread on topic, okay?
Old 05-07-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 05-07-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Theon took Winterfell with a handful of men because most of the able bodied men are with Rob fighting the Lanisters while the 200 men left over to guard Winterfell were sent to deal with the attack on Torrhen Square. They really don't have the strength to hold it and that is why Theon asked for a raven to be sent to his sister asking for 500 men. It's not hard to believe that they are very short on guards, especially at night. From what we saw last episode, Theon likely had less than 20 men.

Spoiler:
This is very minor but we didn't see anyone escape, only saw the group walking away after the guard is killed. If they are true to the book, then we will get more info on what happens after this scene.
Old 05-07-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I already said they took it over with a small force. The point was the presentation reverted back to season 1 where there are like 10 people total in some of these places. Even having Theon explain how they took it over instead of showing it was pretty sucky. That was an action sequence they should have been able to pull off even on a TV show budget.
Old 05-07-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Seeing Tonks nude was a pleasant surprise.
EW's season 2 preview mentioned that a series regular from season 1 would be getting nude for the first time in season 2. I was afraid it would be Cat.
Old 05-07-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, I already said they took it over with a small force. The point was the presentation reverted back to season 1 where there are like 10 people total in some of these places. Even having Theon explain how they took it over instead of showing it was pretty sucky. That was an action sequence they should have been able to pull off even on a TV show budget.
I'm not sure what your issue is. Sure you say they took it with a small group then complain that they took it with a small group. That is how it went down. There wasn't a battle to take it, they walked in and said it was theirs now so either bend a knee or die. With no force to defend, they bent a knee. Not sure what action sequence you expected here but there isn't one. There are a lot of places in this series to bitch that we didn't get to see action, but this isn't one of them IMHO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.