Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bunheads - Sutton Foster, ABC Family, Series Premiere June 11, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Bunheads - Sutton Foster, ABC Family, Series Premiere June 11, 2012

My kid was watching ABC Family and I just happened to catch a promo for a new series called Bunheads centering around kids' dance. What surprised me is that it stars Broadway superstar Sutton Foster. I don't get to Broadway much, but she's come to Seattle a couple times and was pretty dazzling. I guess she's trying to expand her resume for those post-dance years. I might have to tune in to the premiere. I guess they have Kenny "High School Musical" coming in to direct the third episode also.

Bunheads is the tale of a Las Vegas showgirl, who impulsively marries a man, moves to his sleepy coastal town, and takes an uneasy role at her new mother-in-law's dance school. From Executive Producer Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of Gilmore Girls, the series will be headlined by Tony Award®-winning actor Sutton Foster as Michelle. And we’re sure all of you Gilmore Girls fans recognize the fabulous Kelly Bishop from the photo above. The actress (who played Lorelai’s mom on Gilmore Girls) will be playing Fanny, Michelle’s new mother-in-law. Bunheads also stars Julia Goldani Telles as Sasha, Bailey Buntain as Ginny, Emma Dumont as Melanie and Kaitlyn Jenkins as Boo.
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUl0bT_FpHQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUl0bT_FpHQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Old 05-01-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bunheads - Sutton Foster, ABC Family, Series Premiere June 11, 2012

Hmm. I will check out the first episode because of Amy Sherman-Palladino and Kelly Bishop even thought the subject just isn't my style.
Old 06-06-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 232 Likes on 137 Posts

There's a preview floating around the net. Just watched it. It definitely has a very Gilmore Girls feel to it -- Sutton Foster could be playing a younger Lorelai that didn't get pregnant. It's definitely got the wit and rhythm of a good GG episode.
Old 06-06-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the first three episodes of the show and I have to admit it is very good, and I am definitely not the target audience for this kind of show. But I was a huge fan of "Gilmore girls" back in High School and wanted to check it out for ASP, and Sutton Foster.

It's a very light, fluffy, typical ABC Family show (complete with a lower than industry standard budget), but the dialogue is all Amy and you honestly feel at moments like you are revisiting Stars Hallow and not watching a different show. Also, there are a lot of cameos by Gilmore Girl's regulars.
Old 06-06-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Man, I'm a fan of Sutton Foster but never watched GG (maybe someday).
Old 06-07-12, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched the preview and really enjoyed it. But then again, I was a huge fan of Gilmore Girls. Gonna stick with this.
Old 06-11-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bumping for tonight's "official" premiere
Old 06-12-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Very enjoyable pilot. It's like Gilmore Girls never ended

And I thought the twist at the end was kinda awesome.
Old 06-12-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
And I thought the twist at the end was kinda awesome.
I spent 90% of the episode thinking to myself "this is never going to work" and then when the twist hit I knew that it was going to be a hell of a first season.

I remember during the beginning when Michelle was talking to her fellow dancers, everyone was talking so fast that I had to put the subtitles on for a second before I could readjust my brain for Amy Sherman-Palladino dialogue again. But really the small town, Kelly Bishop, the writing - it all felt like revisiting an old friend.
Old 06-12-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Clearly I should have put ASP in the thread title but GG is still on my to-watch list
Old 06-12-12, 06:19 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pY8jaGs7xJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great to have you back Ms. Paladino. This show has all her winning trademarks from snappy dialog to quirky characters. Love the concept, love the lead actress, and of course love the writing.

So is Cameron only appearing in the pilot?

Anyone know who does the song that was playing when she was in her apartment bashing the A/C? Neither SoundHound nor Shazam could ID it.
Old 06-13-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Okay, this show wasn't really on my radar this summer. But, I have heard glowing comments about Ms. Sherman-Palladino's writing from her Gilmore Girls days, so I checked it out. Plus, ABC Family shows are sort of a guilty pleasure.

Anyways, despite the weird name "Bunheads" I really liked it. Never crossed my mind that name is associated with Ballerina dancers.

Anyways, I really liked Sutton Foster as Michelle. Very charming actress and the character is very likeable.

And damn, I didn't see that twist coming at the end at all.

Spoiler:
Poor Alan Ruck

It does set up the whole premise for the show pretty nicely.
Old 06-13-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
Great to have you back Ms. Paladino. This show has all her winning trademarks from snappy dialog to quirky characters. Love the concept, love the lead actress, and of course love the writing.
Agreed. I enjoyed the episode. I've (strangely enough) been missing Gilmore girls and Stars Hollow lately. I think it has to do with the appearances of "Rory Gilmore" on Mad Men. Anyways, hopefully this show will fill that void.
Old 06-13-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

And here comes the PC bitching.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...y-creator.html

On Tuesday, "Grey's Anatomy" creator Shonda Rhimes tweeted at the official account for ABC Family's new show "Bunheads," from "Gilmore Girls" creator Amy Sherman-Palladino.

"Hey @abcfbunheads: really? You couldn't cast even ONE young dancer of color so I could feel good about my kid watching this show? NOT ONE?" she asked.

"Bunheads" is a show about a Vegas showgirl who relocates to small-town California and becomes a dance instructor at her new mother-in-law's dance studio. Starring Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop, the show has no regular cast members of color. In the first dance class scene, there are "young dancers of color" -- but they're in the background, and don't have any lines. Instead, the focus turns to the conversation of four young white teenage girls, lamenting their body issues and ballet school prospects. These are the four characters the audience is supposed to root for. These are the people with names, and lives, and problems. These are the ones who deserve our attention.

Is that acceptable?
Old 06-13-12, 12:00 PM

Her kid can only identify or root for people of the same race?
Sounds like there's a deeper issue there.
D
Old 06-13-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And no Asians? NOT ONE? No Italians? NOT ONE? No Armenians. NOT ONE? No Native Americans? NOT ONE? No Betelgeusians? NOT ONE?

Shonda, you're a fucking stupid cow.
Old 06-13-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I bet the important characters are all bipeds too
Old 06-13-12, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps she would be happier if there was one "sassy spicy latina" or a token black BFF.
Old 06-13-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
perhaps she would be happier if there was one "sassy spicy latina" or a token black BFF.
There ya go. Maybe the black can have attitude and be from the wrong side of the tracks.
Old 06-13-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
And no Asians? NOT ONE? No Italians? NOT ONE? No Armenians. NOT ONE? No Native Americans? NOT ONE? No Betelgeusians? NOT ONE? Shonda, you're a fucking stupid cow.
Except she's not.

On the plus side, she's advocating for more diversity in television, which I think is an admirable goal. Unfortunately, her complaint isn't very well thought out. When you have such a public complaint, you should have a very clearly defined expectation to compare reality against. Shonda's words portray a belief that every show should have diverse casting. I'm not sure if that's her real expectation (in which case, why pick on this particular show aired by the same parent company that supports her 3 shows?), or her words betrayed her. She has clarified her remarks since making them to say that it was just a personal observation on her part.

As for the whole, "people like me," comment, there's credence there as well. Children get their dreams from all kinds of places, and a lot of those dreams have to do with what they see. I decided to learn to play trumpet as a kid because I used to see Louis Armstrong do it. Many kids decide to be singers, dancers, and all kinds of things because they see others doing it. But it's a little harder to dream when the dream doesn't seem to fit you. It's one of the reasons people like Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Arthur Ashe, and (yes) Tiger Woods are celebrated to some degree -- there's an underlying understanding amongst many that it shows a new generation it's OK to expand their dreams (if they're willing to work hard for them).

It's not impossible to dream outside your vision, but it is a little harder. I can still remember when it became public knowledge that Rock Hudson was gay. I'll just bet you there was some young gay guy somewhere who decided liking guys didn't mean he couldn't be a leading man actor (no John Travolta jokes here).

I don't think Shonda's stupid (in fact, I think she's doing better than most of the people who'd call her that), and I think she's coming from a good place, but I think it wasn't the best tweet (a tweet, mind you... not a press release). But at the end of the day, it's a challenge to convey the hope that entertainment creators create worlds of inclusion where appropriate while avoiding the perception that there's some type of affirmative action demand for diversity. If I were on twitter, I'd say to Shonda that the best way for her to be a change agent is to continue doing what she does best -- being a change agent (as opposed to imploring others to do it).
Old 06-13-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Micah, your post is obviously much more deeply thought out and much better expressed than mine. Much. That said (and understand that, although not a visible minority, I grew up an immigrant kid with few role models myself) I despise racial/ethnic quotas of any kind. I think they hold back the very group these misguided principles seek to protect and are as archaic as they are useless. I could care less whether this cast is all white, all black, or all rainbow. The most important criterion should be whether the cast works and this cast does. IMO, Ms. Rhimes' ideas about racial quotas are as dated as 50s era racism against blacks. And yes I know that the books are far from balanced but for Christ's sake you're not going to get that balance by picking on a quirky little show on ABC Family. If she's as smart as you think she is then she should know how and when to pick her battles. Racist issues seem to constantly swirl around this woman and that's not an accident.
Old 06-13-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's funny how we always get caterwauling over no blacks in an all-white series but no one seems to care when no one white shows up in an ethnic show. As someone said in the article, where were the white people in "Precious?" Or anything on TV One/BET? And the thing is, white people don't care, except maybe for the PC-obsessed.

As for "Girls," I do find it a bit hard to believe that a group in Brooklyn has no ethnic friends, but with "Bunheads," are there a lot of black ballerinas? I only saw one that I know of. She's drop dead gorgeous, too. Toured with Prince. Other than that, are there a lot of black girls doing ballet? Was there one in "Black Swan?" I never saw it so I'm just asking.
Old 06-13-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

See what you started Traxan, now you turned a Bunheads episode thread into a debate about race.

Now your going to get people talking who didn't even watch this.
Old 06-13-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well if it gets people watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.