Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Originally Posted by wishbone
stick his post with the pointy end
Old 05-01-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
For someone who talks a lot about honor being important, the way Stannis sneakily killed Renly had ZERO honor.
I always find the "honor" argument silly. So what you are saying is that it is more honorable to fight a protracted battle with his army and his brother's armies killing hundreds of people likely on both sides, than it is to just kill the one person that actually matters?

That is just silly. In my view what Stannis did is more honorable.
Old 05-01-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Talking about Arya's future in the book has no relevance in this thread.

I suppose I'm alone in seeing Arya as a "meh" character and the girl playing her nothing special.
I think that you would be in an exceedingly small group yes. She is maybe the most consistently popular character in the books, and WAY up there in the series as well. Plus, she is exactly the way she is described in the books, and is a terrific actress. The scene with Tywin was one of the best acted (on both sides) and compelling scenes I have seen in a really long time.

She is my favorite book character by far (in fact, I would like Game of Thrones just as much if she were the only point of view). And she is also by far my favorite character on the show. I think she is perfect and very very special.
Old 05-01-12, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yes, that post is better suited for the book/show comparison/discussion thread, but I don't see a book spoiler and I've looked. But that doesn't mean that people who haven't read the books or know the events creekdipper is referencing should have to read them.
Spoiler:
Tickler comes back for a major scene. At least now I won't be surprised when he shows up unexpectantly.
Old 05-01-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Spoiler:
Tickler comes back for a major scene. At least now I won't be surprised when he shows up unexpectantly.
I think you fundamentally misunderstood creekdipper's critique.

Unless you're talking about the books, then, yeah. Lots of people show back up in time. It's a very looooooooong series of books.
Old 05-01-12, 09:57 AM

I suppose I'm alone in seeing Arya as a "meh" character and the girl playing her nothing special.
Yes.
Old 05-01-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Arya has become my favorite part of the entire series thus far. Tyrion is a close second though.
Old 05-01-12, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think that you would be in an exceedingly small group yes. She is maybe the most consistently popular character in the books.
Spoiler:
Books, as in she will continue past the "book" we're on in the series? Thanks for that, that way I wouldn't have to worry about her character, we know Martin kills off main characters at the drop of a hat.
Old 05-01-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Spoiler:
Books, as in she will continue past the "book" we're on in the series? Thanks for that, that way I wouldn't have to worry about her character, we know Martin kills off main characters at the drop of a hat.
Ok, even I find this ridiculous and that's saying something.

We're on book 2 and she was on last season so that is "books".
Old 05-01-12, 10:20 AM

Astrofan takes it to a whole new level.
Old 05-01-12, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Splitting hairs here, but Arya said she didn't have a choice, but Jaqen said she did have a choice, as did he.
i took that to mean he could have stayed on the run not knowing where his next meal was coming from, been on the run and fending for himself well, or signing on to fight for the Lannisters. I also took some meaning to his wearing armor, and not just being put in with conscripts and cannon fodder, like the fisherman who lost his leg last episode.
Old 05-01-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i took that to mean he could have stayed on the run not knowing where his next meal was coming from, been on the run and fending for himself well, or signing on to fight for the Lannisters. I also took some meaning to his wearing armor, and not just being put in with conscripts and cannon fodder, like the fisherman who lost his leg last episode.
Essentially, yes. I was just clarifying that he said he had a choice. Arya was the one that said she didn't have a choice.
Old 05-01-12, 10:53 AM

Unless you're talking about the books, then, yeah. Lots of people show back up in time. It's a very looooooooong series of books.
wait, there are more books? could you spoiler that please. Some people may not be aware the series title is not "Game of Throne".
Old 05-01-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I always find the "honor" argument silly. So what you are saying is that it is more honorable to fight a protracted battle with his army and his brother's armies killing hundreds of people likely on both sides, than it is to just kill the one person that actually matters?

That is just silly. In my view what Stannis did is more honorable.
Didn't Bronn teach us about fighting with honour?

Old 05-01-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I'm almost scared to read this thread for fear of book spoilers, but I wanted to ask : How is it that a minstrel gets his tongue removed for singing a song that makes fun of King Joffrey, yet speakers can stand in the town square and denounce him to a crowd without any repercussions? It seems inconsistent, unless Joffrey just stopped caring what people said.
Old 05-01-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Time has passed since Robert's death, war is afoot, and Joffrey's grip on King's Landing is not as tight as it once was.
Old 05-01-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm almost scared to read this thread for fear of book spoilers, but I wanted to ask : How is it that a minstrel gets his tongue removed for singing a song that makes fun of King Joffrey, yet speakers can stand in the town square and denounce him to a crowd without any repercussions? It seems inconsistent, unless Joffrey just stopped caring what people said.
I doubt he knows about them yet. I assume he will be doing some purging (and no, I haven't read the books... it just seems like his character).
Old 05-01-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I think it's a matter of venue as well. Marillion was more likely making his song heard for more affluent people in a tavern or brothel whereas this "Flea Bottom" herald was preaching to people less likely to report him.

King's Landing has about half a million residents.
Old 05-01-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Arya is a pretty insignificant character as far as I can tell at this point. There are so many more characters more compelling than her. IMHO of course. I know we aren't allowed to say anything negative in these threads but...
Old 05-01-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Arya has ten chapters in A Clash of Kings -- second only to Tyrion with fifteen chapters.

Pretty insignificant...
Old 05-01-12, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Wow, Arya is a pretty insignificant character as far as I can tell at this point. There are so many more characters more compelling than her. IMHO of course. I know we aren't allowed to say anything negative in these threads but...
I agree she's not real important at this point, but the writing is clearly on the wall that she's going to play a big part going forward, and I think that's the main reason she's so intriguing - we get to see her character grow up and become important on screen (as opposed to the older characters, whose roles were generally set in place when the series started)...of course most of us probably figured Ned and Renly would play important roles going forward as well...
Old 05-01-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, most things (to this point) have happened to Arya rather than as a result of her actions.

She's strong, defiant, smart, and a survivor. If you haven't seen those qualities by now and how they may get you excited about what a character could be, then there's little hope...
Old 05-01-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Arya has ten chapters in A Clash of Kings -- second only to Tyrion with fifteen chapters.

Pretty insignificant...
I thought this was about Season 1 and partially Season 2 of the TV show?

But thanks for the heads up to the novels!
Old 05-01-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, most things (to this point) have happened to Arya rather than as a result of her actions.

She's strong, defiant, smart, and a survivor. If you haven't seen those qualities by now and how they may get you excited about what a character could be, then there's little hope...
Obviously. I'm just commenting on the statements that she's the best or second best character in the series. I find her character interesting but not compelling and I don't really see the brilliant acting either.

Once again, book readers muddying the waters, I suppose.
Old 05-01-12, 11:46 AM

Pretty insignificant...
So I guess "books" meant three or more, not just two as I was being mocked (by others) for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.