Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Question:  I'm getting close to finishing A Clash of Kings -- does this thread contain spoilers beyond the second book? Thanks.
Old 05-02-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Question:  I'm getting close to finishing A Clash of Kings -- does this thread contain spoilers beyond the second book? Thanks.
Yes. That thread considers the whole series fair game.
Old 05-02-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Since you volunteered, please define where the line is drawn between small details and something considered a spoiler. Examples would be good.
I think Mordred's post is pretty spot on, on the different levels. Filling in the details of the world doesn't really fit the true definition of 'spoiler' though, because it is not 'spoiling' a surprise or a plot twist.
Old 05-02-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
Yup. The thread OP should have made clear what can or can not be talked about. Book 2 does not necessarily mean Season 2. D&D have both said (And we saw this in season one), that some things will be moved up from the 3rd books and other things will be pushed back.

So how can you talk about just book 2, when season 2 covers more than one book?
Old 05-02-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Let's take it a step further then.

Keep this website's discussion on what is and isn't spoilers out of a tv show thread.
This is a good point, since we have these spoiler wars for Walking Dead as well, maybe we just need a Spoiler discussion thread? (with no specific spoilers of course heh)
Old 05-02-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey...remember when Arya was all "Anyone can be killed."? That was fucking badass.
Old 05-02-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

TV show question: Jon Snow's crew was on the Fist of the First Men or whatever its called and they heard Halfhand's horn. then Halfhand shows up and says there was a wildling look out fire. Are we to assume the wildling lookouts dont know the Night Watch is at the Fist? Wouldnt the wildlings have heard the horn
Old 05-02-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure it was a thread recommending the series to people and a few guys started talking about how good it was. Someone couldn't help themselves.
Oh, well that is seriously lame then.

Andy Greenwald who does a great review and podcast of GoT for Grantland was totally spoiled about Renly's Death on Twitter, just like that. I mean its so easy to get spoiled, you almost want to shut down all social media
Old 05-02-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
Hey...remember when Arya was all "Anyone can be killed."? That was fucking badass.
Old 05-02-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
TV show question: Jon Snow's crew was on the Fist of the First Men or whatever its called and they heard Halfhand's horn. then Halfhand shows up and says there was a wildling look out fire. Are we to assume the wildling lookouts dont know the Night Watch is at the Fist? Wouldnt the wildlings have heard the horn
When he points out the fire and only Jon Snow can see it, he makes the comment that the Wildlings can see better than any of them, so it doesn't matter if they heard the horn... they knew they were there long before that. It's part of the reason he says they need to use wildling tactics against the wildlings.
Old 05-02-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Thank you Mordred, I shan't venture into that thread.
Old 05-02-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Thank you Mordred, I shan't venture into that thread.
So there really should be a series-to-date thread where people can ask non-rhetorical/speculative questions and not worry about book people spoiling things from the past.

If I made one, would anyone use it?
Old 05-02-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
So there really should be a series-to-date thread where people can ask non-rhetorical/speculative questions and not worry about book people spoiling things from the past.

If I made one, would anyone use it?
Probably. Oh..also probably people would spoil things about the future.
Old 05-02-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case you haven't noticed it yet in the opening credit sequence: the engravings on the "rings" tell the story of the recent history of Westros:
1. The Dragon (Targaryan) arrives and conquors the kingdoms.
2. The Dragon subjegates the people.
3. The Stag (Baratheon), the Lion (Lannister) and the Wolf (Stark) form an alliance and attack the Dragon.
4. They are victorious.
5, The Wolf and the Lion bow to the Stag.
6. The logo for the show is then surrounded by the four sigils.

Sorry if you've already noticed this, but I pointed it out to my wife this week and she hadn't seen it previously.
Old 05-02-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Oh, well that is seriously lame then.

Andy Greenwald who does a great review and podcast of GoT for Grantland was totally spoiled about Renly's Death on Twitter, just like that. I mean its so easy to get spoiled, you almost want to shut down all social media
Miraculously, I was not spoiled for that. It reminded me of how nice it can be to actually experience something the way it was meant to be experienced.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-02-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
In case you haven't noticed it yet in the opening credit sequence: the engravings on the "rings" tell the story of the recent history of Westros:
3. The Stag (Baratheon), the Lion (Lannister) and the Wolf (Stark) form an alliance and attack the Dragon.
4. They are victorious.

Sorry if you've already noticed this, but I pointed it out to my wife this week and she hadn't seen it previously.
Cool--I had not noticed that! Thanks for posting about it--I'll have to look for it next week.
Old 05-02-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably. Oh..also probably people would spoil things about the future.
We all know that even if there was a weekly completely spoiler-free designated thread for each episode, it would never stay that way.

Taking over the official threads is only a means to an end for some, which is showing everyone how much they know about what will happen. If all the non-book readers were gone from the regular weekly threads, some of the folks would surely find their way into the spoiler-free threads as well.
Old 05-02-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Let's take it a step further then.

Keep this website's discussion on what is and isn't spoilers out of a tv show thread.
Only if the spoilers go too. Deal?
Old 05-02-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is unknown.
Old 05-02-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

4. They are victorious.

I actually noticed #6 this past week. I hadnt picked up on the others though. I'll look for them next time I watch.
Old 05-02-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A suggestion: since everyone has their panties in such a twist about spoilers in these threads, please stop asking questions about things that have not been explained (yet) in the show. Have some patience and some faith that the show knows where it's going. All your questions will be answered.
Um...no. When I've asked questions, sometimes the things haven't been explained, and sometimes they have and I just missed it. This is a mammoth series to follow, and I've found the book readers incredibly helpful thus far.

The point is, asking those questions in a rhetorical or speculative manner is what drives many of the threads in TV talk where the stories aren't already available to read.

So basically it comes off like those who have read the books have a sense of entitlement to take over the threads simply because they've read the books. Not to mention for someone like me who's trying to get through the books, I have double the risk of being spoiled for the book and the show.

So I ask those who feel they should be able to discuss book spoilers freely in this thread point blank: why do you feel this show's discussion should be exception to typical spoiler rules for the forum?
We don't. They should use the spoiler tag. Very simple, very easy.

Because people who ask in a rhetorical or speculative manner know there are people that know the answer and ask anyway without specifying they're rhetorical or speculative.
I was guilty of this, admittedly. If I'm asking questions going forward, I will specify.

I'm sorry, what has been spoiled in this thread exactly? What are we bitching about other than just bitching?
NOTHING. This thread has been insanely ridiculous.

Originally Posted by aktick
[Non book-reader speculation]

That's why I figured it couldn't be that tough for a small group to defend it...it doesn't look like it needs a whole lot of maintenance, I can't imagine it being climbed, and it has that one entry. Basically, defend that tunnel (reinforce/block it, traps, men as a last resort) and you're fine. Would seem to be much better odds than roaming north of it in shit weather where you're vastly outnumbered.
Except that apparently there are other ways past the wall - remember the group of Wildlings that assaulted Bran outside of Winterfell in S1...one of them is still held captive there. (the woman that saw Hodor naked).

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
There was more spoiled in season 1, but less debate
But that's Season 1. Why are we complaining about something that isn't happening?

Originally Posted by CRM114
I've never watched the opening credits save for the very first episode.
You're complaining about understanding the show, yet openly acknowledging you skip portions of it. The opening credits are more important for this show than any show I've ever seen - they actually show you the geography of Westeros and where each location is, as well as physical characteristics of it. This opening should never be skipped.

Originally Posted by Dash
It seems to me that if your so spoiler sensative that a last name is a spoiler, you may want to avoid these threads. For the most part I think the book people have done a pretty good job at avoiding plot spoilers and are more just filling in background info when people ask. Is that really so bad?
Agreed completely. I've gotten a much greater understanding of things from asking questions and having said background info filled in.

I'm sure it is mentioned in the book. That was the point I was making, it's probable I haven't read that part yet.

People might be rolling their eyes at this and saying "a name's a spoiler now"?

But the point is valid: where do you draw the line? Who decides what is important enough to not be a spoiler? Simple: you can't. If it's not in the show, it should be considered a spoiler in the TV thread.
Pretty sure you draw the line at someone's name. Especially when it's been stated in the show.

Originally Posted by aktick
Ugh. No shit. I'd like to think most of us have figured out by now which posters (who have read the books) are not "spoiling" anything important...or, in this case, mentioning a small bit of history from the first book which quite obviously isn't going to be explained in the show.

The fact that somebody is watching the current season yet complaining about something being spoiled from the FIRST BOOK just boggles the mind...

I'll probably never read the goddamn books, so I'm grateful for pinata and others filling in small details on parts of the book that have already "passed" in the show.
I agree 100%. Some people just want to lead a witchhunt though, and ignore the fact that these people are actually helpful. I'm reading the books now, but slowly, so I'm still finding these threads to be immensely helpful.

The bottom line is it falls on the book readers to fucking control themselves once in awhile. Just because you CAN answer something doesn't mean you HAVE to or should. Sure maybe you're helping the person looking for the information, but if you know it's going to come out eventually, why even risk even a single other person that doesn't want to know getting something spoiled just because the question asker can't wait to see things play out?
It's not their responsibility who clicks that spoiler button. If they spoil it properly, they've done what they need to.

I will say also that if you're not a book reader and don't want things spoiled, you shouldn't even partake in the discussion. Unfair? Hell yes. But it's the only way to keep yourself out of any spoiler potential. I like discussing this shit as much as anybody else, but made myself stay away from most of the 1st season threads because I know people just can't help themselves. In fact, not being able to discuss the show was one of the driving forces that lead me to reading the entire series over the summer/fall.
Yeah, that's fairly ridiculous. I haven't had a single event spoiled for me, I'm not a book reader, and I've asked plenty of questions.

Sometimes an argument needs to be taken to the extreme to make an impression. I am well aware how ridiculous it can sound to debate someone's name. Again that's the point.

While atkick's post about him deciding is amusing, it's not his place to do it. Right now the TV forum has a spoiler policy in place, and it's being willfully ignored in threads relating to GoT (and Walking Dead for that matter). Now, if a mod wants to come in and spell out what is OK and what isn't, that would be fantastic. But even if that were to occur, I think we all know it won't be honored unless infractions are given out, and that doesn't appear likely.
It's not being ignored. Nothing was spoiled in this thread. Stop.

Which is why it's unfair to expect people like me to go to it. What's the point of having a "Season 2 Spoilers Thread" that considers all FIVE books fair game? That defies logic. If anything, three threads - one where Season 2/Book 2 is openly discussed, a weekly thread like this, and another thread where the entire TV show/book series can be discussed concurrently.
Old 05-02-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
It's not their responsibility who clicks that spoiler button. If they spoil it properly, they've done what they need to.
Agreed. But not everyone does it properly.

Yeah, that's fairly ridiculous. I haven't had a single event spoiled for me, I'm not a book reader, and I've asked plenty of questions.

Awesome for you, but others I'm sure would disagree. If only because "spoiler" means something different to everyone.
Old 05-02-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe I'm actually going to weigh in on the spoiler discussion, but here's how I tread through these threads:

If an event is (maybe) going to happen in the future on the show, I won't mention it at all even in spoiler tags... and fuck those of you who do. You're dicks, even with spoiler tags.
If an event in the past happened that is directly germane to future actions of a character, I won't mention it until the show has disclosed it. (ala why does the Hound have a burned face from the first season)
If an event in the past happened that fleshes out the world or the characters in it and someones asks about it I'll spoiler it and describe what's under the spoiler for people who might to know.
If an event was mentioned on the show and someone doesn't remember, it's fair game. I'll also explain things the little tidbits and names that are mentioned without explanation... but usually with spoilers.
If the show changes an event in the books, I'm not going to mention what happened in the book version here.
I consider discussion of how Martin's world works (i.e. bastards are not legitimate heirs, or even how bastards get their last names) to be fair game too.

Also, fuck anyone who drops subtle or thinly veiled hints at what might happen. I had a major event from the 3rd book spoiled for me in Book Talk years ago when someone mentioned two little words with a "You're gonna be blown away when you get to ___ ___". They didn't explain what happened, just what the event was referred to as, yet I knew something happened, it wasn't hard to figure out when it was about to happen and so I was completely on guard and it lost a lot of the surprise it should have.
Old 05-02-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But that's Season 1. Why are we complaining about something that isn't happening?
Oh I was just pointing to season 1 threads where there were major spoilers dropped, but not as much bickering about it, while in Season 2..no real spoilers, but much more bickering.

Which is why it's unfair to expect people like me to go to it. What's the point of having a "Season 2 Spoilers Thread" that considers all FIVE books fair game? That defies logic. If anything, three threads - one where Season 2/Book 2 is openly discussed, a weekly thread like this, and another thread where the entire TV show/book series can be discussed concurrently.

I agree, I think there needs to be 3 threads. Maybe a weekly thread for general discussion.

A Season 2 thread with primary discussion/spoilers from Book 2 (What happens if book 3 plotlines makes it way into Season 2? how does that get addressed? Spoiler tag? everything outside of book 2 just to be safe?)

And a Season 2 thread with no spoiler tags, essentially if it has happened in a published book, it is fair game.
Old 05-02-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've read through this entire thread hoping for more insight into the show and the world of Westeros...

I've come to the conclusion that 98 percent of you are freakin' nuts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.