TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Originally Posted by CRM114
That's what I'm confused about. There is an elevator to get to the top of the wall. What is up there? A drop off (like a traditional wall) or is it flat at the top going northwards?
It's a drop-off on both sides. From season one, it seems like the wall is a good few meters thick.
Old 05-02-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I'm confused about. There is an elevator to get to the top of the wall. What is up there? A drop off (like a traditional wall) or is it flat at the top going northwards?

So I was right at least in my initial thought. Riding north from Winterfell, you would approach a mammoth wall at the base of which is Castle Black. At Castle Black you'd ride the elevator up to the top, walk off to a flat land north of the wall. In other words, you don't need to go up the wall and then down the other side.
Imagine a verrrrry tall Great Wall of China.
Old 05-02-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Walkways along the top of the wall -- not much different than The Great Wall of China.

EDIT:  CKMorpheus beat me to the punch.
Old 05-02-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
It's a drop-off on both sides. From season one, it seems like the wall is a good few meters thick.
Yeah, a good few

Image from season one finale:

Spoiler:
Old 05-02-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They show it during the opening sequence. The wall is literally a huge wall of ice. Castle black is right outside the wall on the south. The rangers get to the other side using a gate/tunnel at its base. They also patrol the top of the wall by taking an elevator. In season 1, Tyrion pissed off the north edge of the wall from the top.
Thats the piece I was missing. Thank you.
Old 05-02-12, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wishbone

North of The Wall
[Non book-reader speculation]

That's why I figured it couldn't be that tough for a small group to defend it...it doesn't look like it needs a whole lot of maintenance, I can't imagine it being climbed, and it has that one entry. Basically, defend that tunnel (reinforce/block it, traps, men as a last resort) and you're fine. Would seem to be much better odds than roaming north of it in shit weather where you're vastly outnumbered.
Old 05-02-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick

Though I know that's a shitty assumption to make, and why I still wish there was a weekly thread of people who haven't read the books. Sure, we often won't get our questions answered as quickly or in as much detail, but I'm fine with that. The only series threads I've followed this closely were the Lost ones, and the speculation is half of what made those so great...it's impossible to do that here because there will always be an asshole or two who "speculates" correctly, to make himself look smart, but in reality he's read the books.
The problem is what you have had in certain 'non-book reader' blogs/threads, You have people who say they haven't read the books, and make 'predictions' that are amazingly close to what happens in the books.
Old 05-02-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm sorry, what has been spoiled in this thread exactly? What are we bitching about other than just bitching?
There was more spoiled in season 1, but less debate
Old 05-02-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Thats the piece I was missing. Thank you.
You missed the tunnel they've traveled through on the show?

As others have pointed, it's in the opening credit sequence. We've seen characters standing on top of the Wall. We've seen them traveling through the wall. Dialogue has indicated what it is and where they are relative to it.

I just don't understand how you can miss so much every week. And this isn't minutiae.
Old 05-02-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I can't wait to finish the second book and read the rest so I'll never have to avoid a spoiler button again.
That is sort of liberating
Old 05-02-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
There was more spoiled in season 1, but less debate
Ah, I stayed out of those threads because I hadn't read the books then.
Old 05-02-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its just a little flat spot along the wall to basically 'watch' beyond the wall, Sam and Jon had a nice scene up on the wall.

There is a drop off like a typical wall.
Old 05-02-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, I stayed out of those threads because I hadn't read the books then.
Yeah there was a couple of A-holes that actually delivered some serious spoilers (I think they created a troll account).

There was some discussion about spoiler tags, but this season it takes the cake.
Old 05-02-12, 09:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The problem is what you have had in certain 'non-book reader' blogs/threads, You have people who say they haven't read the books, and make 'predictions' that are amazingly close to what happens in the books.
What was the show where that became a big problem? Was it True Blood?
Old 05-02-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Yeah, a good few

Image from season one finale:

Spoiler:
I remember that scene but the scenes from season 1 where they were on top of the wall made it look much more narrow. About the width of a few people.
Old 05-02-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
What was the show where that became a big problem? Was it True Blood?
I meant Game of Thrones in other blogs etc.

True blood is so different from the show..that if you spoil the show...its 50/50 if it actually appears in TV.
Old 05-02-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember that scene but the scenes from season 1 where they were on top of the wall made it look much more narrow. About the width of a few people.
It probably does narrow a bit at the top. The north face is vertical, but the south face is slanted. The elevator scenes show this and there are staircases that wind back and forth on the south side to get to the top, but those have just been in the background shots and not explicitly mentioned or used.
Old 05-02-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven
You missed the tunnel they've traveled through on the show?

As others have pointed, it's in the opening credit sequence. We've seen characters standing on top of the Wall. We've seen them traveling through the wall. Dialogue has indicated what it is and where they are relative to it.

I just don't understand how you can miss so much every week. And this isn't minutiae.
I've never watched the opening credits save for the very first episode.

As for traveling through the wall, it always appeared to me like they were in the castle and not in a tunnel. I suppose I'm too busy trying to listen to undecipherable dialogue to pay attention to details of the set.

Obviously, my questions are stupid so I'll look elsewhere for answers. Thanks though to those who have answered them.
Old 05-02-12, 09:44 AM
Suspended

We don't know yet (on the show!) what happened to Jon Snow's uncle north of the Wall, right? He's simply MIA?
Old 05-02-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We don't know yet (on the show!) what happened to Jon Snow's uncle north of the Wall, right? He's simply MIA?
Correct. His horse came back unmanned (Jon saw this from the top of the wall) and Ghost found the "corpses" of Benjen's party when Jon and Sam were saying their vows in the godswood.
Suspended

I've never watched the opening credits save for the very first episode.
I generally didn't either, but have the last couple weeks - they actually do help a bit with refreshing your memory about locations and such.

And I have to watch shows like this with CC on to be sure of what is being said.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevermind my question about Storms End. It was Torrhen's Square that was under siege.
Old 05-02-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
According to the HBO Viewers Guide, Storms End, is under House Baratheon. Why would Bran be under any obligation to send soldiers there if it weren't under the Stark banner?
If you're talking about the scene from this episode where Ser Rodrik came in with urgent news, it was about Torrhen's Square which is in the north (SW of Winterfell).
Old 05-02-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Yeah there was a couple of A-holes that actually delivered some serious spoilers (I think they created a troll account).

There was some discussion about spoiler tags, but this season it takes the cake.
Yes, Ned Stark's demise being the huge spoiler that some fucker posted. I had the misfortune of reading that before one of the mods killed it.

The worst part was that it was posted completely maliciously.
Old 05-02-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[Non book-reader speculation]

That's why I figured it couldn't be that tough for a small group to defend it...it doesn't look like it needs a whole lot of maintenance, I can't imagine it being climbed, and it has that one entry. Basically, defend that tunnel (reinforce/block it, traps, men as a last resort) and you're fine. Would seem to be much better odds than roaming north of it in shit weather where you're vastly outnumbered.
The wall is really really long. Hundreds of leagues and there is more than one opening. (Qhorin Half-Hand is the leader of one of the other castles along the wall.) Hence thats why he met up with them on the other side of the wall instead of traveling with the main group.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.