Old 04-29-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Breakout Kings -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "Freakshow/Served Cold" -- 4/29/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-03-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The gang tracks a fugitive who used to perform in the circus as an escape artist. In the second hour, The team face a difficult choice when a case they're barred from being involved in turns personal.

Guest starring Jason Behr as Damien

Episodes 9 and 10 of 10

Last 2 episodes of the season. No news on a 3rd season yet. I read some blurb from Nick Santora and he doesn't know when A&E will make a decision.
Old 04-29-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Breakout Kings -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "Freakshow/Served Cold" -- 4/29/12

I wonder we will get any resolution to the dude a floor below who scammed info.
Old 04-29-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Breakout Kings -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "Freakshow/Served Cold" -- 4/29/12

As much as I loved the first season, the second season blew it completely out of the water. It was a thrill ride from the first episode to the last. The writers of this show deserve a lot of recognition for so expertly blending suspense, action, comedy, drama, and character development. It's a credit to everyone involved that what could have been a formulaic show was anything but.

These last two episodes were just fantastic. I think they wrapped up the season in a great way; the Damian arc was resolved, but they ended with a bit of ambiguity to keep us wanting more. Reminds me a lot of the Terriers finale in that way, although I firmly believe no one on the team would sell Ray out after everything he has done for them.

Loved the final episode though. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was great how they incorporated so much of the show into the finale. It was heartbreaking watching Lloyd face the dead girl's parents. Jimmi Simpson deserves an Emmy for his portrayal of Lloyd this season.
Old 04-30-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Totally agree with everything you said about the show. This season was the most coherent stretch of episodes I've seen over one season in a long time on any network. The mental torture that Lloyd went through for that case in the finale was as good as anything you'll see in a feature movie. I guess they are dropping the storyline between Lloyd and Jules, there was no mention of it at all in those last two episodes. He is going to fall apart when he finds out about his mother.
Old 04-30-12, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think Damien was in Lloyd's mother's apartment at the end...unless you're talking about something else that I missed? If that was his mom I'd think it would've been more obvious where Damien was to the team.
Old 04-30-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I don't think Damien was in Lloyd's mother's apartment at the end...unless you're talking about something else that I missed? If that was his mom I'd think it would've been more obvious where Damien was to the team.
Yeah I thought it was his mother too at first. But if it was, he would have said something and Lloyd would have been the one to push Damien.

I did think however their idea of a "cliffhanger" was unnecessary. None of them are going to say anything.
Old 04-30-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for "thought Damien was at Lloyd's mothers apartment at first", but as the episode went on - it was clear he was only there for the location (to see if Lloyd would kill the circus inmate).
Old 04-30-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe it was a dropped plotline at the last minute and Lloyd was originally going to be the guy who pushed him off the building. I do think they cleaned up Erica's problem a little too neatly. You have to figure that comes back to haunt them at some point.

Did they recast the actress that played Charlie's wife? I thought it looked like another actress in those scenes.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 05-01-12 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I liked it, but I felt a bit underwhelmed. I actually liked the circus escape episode more.
Old 04-30-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

at Shae being afraid of clowns. Loved his beatdown of the fugitive clown.

Perfect end to the season. The finale showcased how well this show mixes humor, action and drama when it's at its best. I was on the edge of my seat for the last episode. Nice work by Jimmi Simpson, as kstublen noted.

I hope this show somehow gets renewed. It's really an overlooked gem.
Old 05-01-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This show is sneaky good.

I found the first season entertaining and the characters pretty good but figured it would get old with the hunt the escaped con of the week. But it's got a really good mix of action, characters and humor and even if some of the escapes are a bit ridiculous it doesn't really matter.

They have really developed the characters this season and as mentioned above the scene with Lloyd confronting the parents was absurdly good (the lead up to it was also amazingly well done)
Old 05-01-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only just watched the 2 hours now, but that was a very impressive season finale. I didn't like that Charlie was killed and removed from the show (at all, but especially that early in the season), but the show used this story line enough to keep it recurring, but not so much as to dominate the main premise of the show and I thought wrapped it up pretty well.

Agreed that the cliffhanger ending was very unnecessary, but if the show doesn't get renewed, we can always just assume that someone ratted out Ray. But, if A&E doesn't bring it back, they have bigger problems than airing shows like Duck Dynasty and Storage Wars.

Jimmi Simpson is always good, but new level of respect for the performance in the finale.

I thought the escapee of the week was a very interesting case (and cool how they kept him around too) with the contortionist background and how he could keep escaping.

Finally, in addition to all the drama of this episode, they still brought the funny in appropriate places too. This show has a really good formula and cast. I won't put it on the Justified level right now, but it's definitely moved past Burn Notice and SOA on my radar. If those shows return to form this season, a re-evaluations may be necessary, but as of now, I'm really high on Breakout Kings. I know it doesn't have the length of those other 2 shows, but if it continues forward on this path, it deserves the ranking.
Old 05-02-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Awesome 2 hours

Not much else I can add that hasn't already been said.

Loved the Nick Santora cameo (the co-creator of the show). I laughed when he and Ray were going at each other. If you didn't know he who was, he was the marshall who came to collect the circus guy.

All I will really add is that was some of Jimmi Simpson's best acting on the show thus far. The emotions he exemplified in that pivotal scene with Damien were top notch.

A little annoyed by the cliffhanger ending, but I get why it was done to give A&E an incentive to bring it back and possibly introduce a story element for next season.

This show is an excellent mix of comedy, drama and action. I hope A&E keeps it around.
Old 05-03-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

LOVED it as well. SO glad Ray pushed Damien: He killed his partner and kidnapped his daughter. (Also whomever played that guy did an excellent job.)

Had no idea that was Santora--he was quite convincing. Really hope this show comes back...
Old 05-03-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post
LOVED it as well. SO glad Ray pushed Damien: He killed his partner and kidnapped his daughter. (Also whomever played that guy did an excellent job.)

Had no idea that was Santora--he was quite convincing. Really hope this show comes back...
Damien was played by Jason Behr. He was the lead on the WB show "Roswell" years ago. He's also married to Kadee Strickland from Private Practice. Agree he did a great job.
Old 05-03-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post
LOVED it as well. SO glad Ray pushed Damien: He killed his partner and kidnapped his daughter.
I realize it's TV world so we can say things like that, but... no. He's a U.S. Marshall and Damien was no imminent threat. It's emotionally satisfying, but morally repugnant. And he made witnesses of his team, which will force them to all lie on his behalf. He's always talking about putting the team at risk, but that's just what he unnecessarily did. Of course nobody will lose sleep over Damien.
Old 05-04-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The second season was much better than the first imho. I'd be in for a third season.
Old 05-17-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

The show has been cancelled. I still have five more episodes to watch from season 2.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/aes-...r-two-seasons/

[Please, can no one ask for this thread to be locked, ok?]
Old 05-17-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not surprising news, but that sucks. It's too bad FOX passed on it. I think this could have had some success there.
Old 05-17-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom View Post
The show has been cancelled. I still have five more episodes to watch from season 2.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/aes-...r-two-seasons/

[Please, can no one ask for this thread to be locked, ok?]
Noooo.
Old 05-17-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That just sucks. This was a fine show, one of the few I made a point to watch every week. I'd never thought I'd type this but fuck you, A&E! You are now neither.
Old 05-17-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I had a feeling that A&E was going to can the show.

1) The episode order was cut from 13 to 10. Obvious budget cuts as well (cough Charlie)

2) Very little promotion

3) Nick Santora on his Twitter feed has shown very little enthusiasm about getting a 3rd season. He's been plugging his book more than talking about getting another season.

4) And the nail was in the coffin when his co-showrunner Matt Olmstead left to work on Chicago Fire this week. Getting a big network paycheck vs sitting around waiting for a network known for Storage Wars to make up their fucking minds....yeah he knew the show was dead.
Old 05-17-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Even though it was cancelled, don't be tempted to delete those last 5 episodes. It was a great season overall and ended pretty strongly. The main season arc ended with closure.
Old 05-17-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, I definitely plan on watching them. Actually I have 6 episodes left since the last last two were shown together.
Old 05-17-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll miss my weekly Serinda Swan fix.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.