TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Garden of Bones" -- 4/22/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Garden of Bones" -- 4/22/12

Originally Posted by pinata242
Scenes from next week are not part of the episode, though. Many people (myself included) choose not to watch them.
The standard for "spoiler" here has gone seriously off the rails if a non-specific "some serious shit is going down next week" is considered a spoiler. I think I'll stop particiapting in these threads.
Old 04-23-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Case in point.
Old 04-23-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Given that this is the GoT, a statement like "Some serious shit is going down next week." is hardly a spoiler. Serious shit happens almost every episode..
Old 04-23-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The standard for "spoiler" here has gone seriously off the rails if a non-specific "some serious shit is going down next week" is considered a spoiler. I think I'll stop particiapting in these threads.
I said myself in the second post that inference is not a spoiler. However using actual facts like, for instance, scenes from future episodes is.

This isn't brain surgery. The lines are pretty clearly drawn.
Old 04-23-12, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some would complain if he had said he wished some serious shit would happen next week. Really, weak complaints in this thread.
Old 04-23-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dany's unconvincing "I'm a total badass" acting during her speech with the Quarth 13. I don't buy it. She just looks a little too waif/girl like for me. I know she's very young in the books, but they should have changed her a bit like they did the Tyrell girl.
Not sure what you mean here, they did make her older and bigger. She's no waif, she's big-arsed and fairly thick.
Old 04-23-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Because people are dicks and want people to know they know. But now people are posting about book 3 events in the book 2 spoiler thread, so at least some folks are consistent.
Because that isn't the book 2 spoiler thread..that was the season 2, talk about the books thread, and because you have plot lines moved up from Book 3 into season 2, then that should mean book 3 is also into play. No one ever clarified what that thread was suppose to be about.
Old 04-23-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
No one ever clarified what that thread was suppose to be about.
Experience tells me it wouldn't matter.
Old 04-23-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
To be fair, that could be just from his observation THAT A MONSTER CAME OUT OF A WOMAN'S VAG!!!!!!!
I think it is racist to assume that just because it is Black, it is a monster.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It was Joffrey, Cersei, The Hound, and Ilyn Payne. She blames Joffrey, Cersei, and Illyn for the death of her father, and the Hound for killing Micah (the butcher's boy).

She then added The Mountain and the guard who was treating them like shit.
if i saw correctly, Polliver was the dude who took her stabby sword, and killed Yoren, so that's why he just made the list.

Originally Posted by Dave99
I liked the mountain from the first season better, the casting for this year isn't nearly as intimidating.
the actor is way too thin, and his face is drawn. he should be mammoth and imposing, not looking like a second string player for a college basketball team.
Spoiler:
i hope they recast for the third season, or get someone who looks like first season fatty back. assuming he is still around for the third season.

I hope Bronn eventually sits on the iron throne. He is wise, straightforward and completely up front about his motivations and loyalties. He seems to be the only person who is not punished somehow for being honest.

Last edited by Ropes Pierre; 04-23-12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
if i saw correctly, Polliver was the dude who took her stabby sword, and killed Yoren, so that's why he just made the list.
Yoren was the older guy, the dude from the Night's Watch. He was killed by Amory Lorch and his men.

Lommy was the one killed by either Polliver or Raff the Sweetling (unnamed). I couldn't tell if they were the same person.

Either way, Arya added Polliver because he's a guard and was given a name by the woman at the end.
Old 04-23-12, 11:17 AM

Yoren was the older guy, the dude from the Night's Watch. He was killed by Amory Lorch and his men.

Lommy was the one killed by either Polliver or Raff the Sweetling (unnamed). I couldn't tell if they were the same person.

Either way, Arya added Polliver because he's a guard and was given a name by the woman at the end.
Wow, i read the book and i am still confused who did what to whom and how often.

i also think not reading the books the whole torture thing would be confusing for someone. The questions the guy was asking, were out of nowhere, whereas if i recall correctly in the books there was a reason that was pretty clear, and you knew what he was trying to find out.

sometimes this show confuses me. they are not opposed to changing things, but they still leave in stuff that is only understood in the context of the books story. i am trying to see the two as different tales, but book stuff bleeds over into tv stuff for me and colors whether i would really know what the hell was going on if i didn't have some prior background to put things into context.

i also am more and more irked about the casting for the mountain. the more i think about it the more ridiculous he seemed. the actor did not look like someone who could be a match for the hound, he was lanky instead of portly and gigantic, and could not strike the insane fear into people like the previous seasons guy. they could not have found someone who was rounder?
Old 04-23-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sometimes this show confuses me. they are not opposed to changing things, but they still leave in stuff that is only understood in the context of the books story. i am trying to see the two as different tales, but book stuff bleeds over into tv stuff for me and colors whether i would really know what the hell was going on if i didn't have some prior background to put things into context.
I agree with this. I'm glad I've read because the show and books really compliment each other well. They do leave things in that are hard to understand as stand-alone, but it still adds to the scale of the world.

While the "gold & silver" question may go nowhere, I doubt the "brotherhood" one will be left dangling like that. In fact, it was set up in season one in another "confusing, throw-away" scene.

Just like GRRM with the books, these show-runners are playing the long game. They're not trying to wrap everything up this episode or next or even this season. Some things that seem pointless now can come back later. It will be better with multiple viewings.
Old 04-23-12, 11:40 AM
MrN

Just like GRRM with the books, these show-runners are playing the long game. They're not trying to wrap everything up this episode or next or even this season. Some things that seem pointless now can come back later. It will be better with multiple viewings.
A second viewing is mandatory. There were so many lines in the first season that took on new dimensions when I watched it a second time without the week gap. I don't doubt that watching the first season after the second season is done will reveal even more. I don't even remember this 'brotherhood' being mentioned before...
Old 04-23-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it wasn't, but the ground was laid for it...

Remember in season one when The Mountain left KL and started harassing the countryside? Riverlander came in front of Ned while Robert was out with those gutted fish that were meant to frame the Tullys.

Ned called on Ser Beric Dondarrion to bring The Mountain to answer for his crimes.

It's The Mountain's men that's asking about this brotherhood and that's what Dondarrion is leading. The show just hasn't connected those two dots yet, but by now the books had.
Old 04-23-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Experience tells me it wouldn't matter.
Make it easy and just make it all spoilers from all books are okay. heh.
Old 04-23-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Could you imagine if book adaptations were more common in TV? Sheesh.
Old 04-23-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The show just hasn't connected those two dots yet, but by now the books had.
Shouldn't all of your preceding post be considered spoilers for the show because as you yourself point out, they haven't said any of that yet. It's fairly minor (and probably useful to avoid confusion for people who haven't read the books) but it's much more of a spoiler than "shit goes down next week."
Old 04-23-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No one cares, haven't you been paying attention?

Jon Snow wasn't in this episode, but that doesn't mean he isn't still on his quest[/sp0iler]
Old 04-23-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No one cares, haven't you been paying attention?
Old 04-23-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
As a non-book reader, I can't seem to figure out what my opinion is watching some shadow monster come out of a chick's vag.
This. This is the first moment in the series so far where my reaction was "Uh...what?"

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I can't imagine a non-book reader reading these threads. There's just too much book discussion. These threads even surpass The Walking Dead discussions. I know it's hard to do, but it would be best if the book-readers try to knock it off and just discuss what's on the screen. Hard, yes, impossible, no.
I'm very, VERY early on in Book #1, but I've found reading these threads helps fill in some of the gaps. I hate all the pretentious complaining about book readers posting here - I welcome it and hope they continue to do so.

Arya becoming Tywin's cup-bearer. This tightens things up a bit from a plot perspective.
What exactly does a cup-bearer do?

Originally Posted by MrN
A second viewing is mandatory. There were so many lines in the first season that took on new dimensions when I watched it a second time without the week gap. I don't doubt that watching the first season after the second season is done will reveal even more. I don't even remember this 'brotherhood' being mentioned before...
Agreed. I'm rewatching the first season and even now catching all kinds of things I missed/didn't understand before.
Old 04-23-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know I probably missed the details but...

We saw Stannis and Renly having a pissing contest on horseback. Then we see Stannis on a boat talking to who knows. Then the unknown guy is smuggling the Red Woman onto shore somewhere behind bars. Was I supposed to understand what was going on in that sequence?

And what is Harrenhal I see referred to in this thread? Where they took the kids who were captured? Why did they take all of those kids? Those kids were supposed to be going to the Wall, correct? The crew that took them were Lannister people? So don't the Lannister crew respect the Wall? What info were they trying to get out of those people? Also, I don't know how you take Arya muttering some names and making it into a prayer.
Old 04-23-12, 01:21 PM

Wow, i read the book and i am still confused who did what to whom and how often.

i also think not reading the books the whole torture thing would be confusing for someone. The questions the guy was asking, were out of nowhere, whereas if i recall correctly in the books there was a reason that was pretty clear, and you knew what he was trying to find out.
Uh, from the show--where's the gold and silver?
Old 04-23-12, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
I'm very, VERY early on in Book #1, but I've found reading these threads helps fill in some of the gaps. I hate all the pretentious complaining about book readers posting here - I welcome it and hope they continue to do so.
Perhaps I could tell you which people will die next and save you the suspense? Someone mentioned they'd like to see Bronn on the throne, I could answer that question for him right now--I've read the books.

Gap filling is one thing, foreshadowing and hinting are another. The problem is people aren't that good at it and that's certainly true around here.
Old 04-23-12, 01:33 PM

One more point. The 3rd greatest mini-series, based on a single book, of all time, "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" isn't all that easy either, but you just went with it and enjoyed the parts you got. Also made a second viewing that much more rewarding. Same with it's sequel, "Smiley's People."

You really don't need to get everything. It also accomplishs something else; you are in a world you don't know so not everything would be clear to you. It actually increases the sense of entering a different reality. This even happens in the books to some degress.
Old 04-23-12, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
What exactly does a cup-bearer do?
Bear his cup.

I guess you'll find out in a future episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.