TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Garden of Bones" -- 4/22/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Garden of Bones" -- 4/22/12

Originally Posted by fujishig
Add me to the list of people who don't get why anyone puts up with Dany making all these threats of what she's going to do if she doesn't get her way. I'm glad the spice guy called her bluff.

Even if the dragons were face huggers or whatever, they're obviously not formidable enough for Dany and co. to take the city, or she would have done so as soon as they rejected her. Maybe you'll lose some men, maybe the dragons won't obey anyone but Dany, maybe she doesn't have dragons (for all they know) but why not take that chance? I also don't understand why the other Dothraki that killed the other rider didn't just follow the horse back to Dany and slaughter the lot of them. (btw, did they kill the guy who's been Dany's protector all of season 1, or one of the other two guys... I couldn't tell, besides the woman who was grieving being the one that seemed closest to him).

Why doesn't the Hound step in to defend Joffrey? I was thinking Bronn could easily kill that one guard but would have a tougher time with the Hound.

If this is a spoiler, never mind, but has it been 9 months since the scene in the strategy room with the red lady and Stannis, or does that kind of birth have nothing to do with that kind of pregnancy?

Did Stannis cut off some of Davos's fingers in their previous encounter when Davos was a smuggler? This is the second time they mentioned something like that but it's still lost on me. The actor and the dialogue do a great job of explaining why Stannis has no friends. I still don't understand, strategy-wise, why the two brothers want to waste their time and resources on each other before confronting King's Landing and the Lannisters... luckily Robb is keeping them busy, but if not, I don't care how many men Renly has, wouldn't they be caught between two armies?

Also, if two regular Lannister army men know about Renly's "preferences," doesn't everyone know? They make it seem like to be King he's got to hide that, but it doesn't seem to be much of a secret.
Maybe the Hound doesn't like Joffrey.
Old 04-25-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(btw, did they kill the guy who's been Dany's protector all of season 1, or one of the other two guys... I couldn't tell, besides the woman who was grieving being the one that seemed closest to him).
You mean this guy? No, they didn't kill him. She didn't even send him out.

Old 04-25-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stannis cut off Davos' fingers for being a smuggler.
Old 04-25-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is a spoiler, never mind, but has it been 9 months since the scene in the strategy room with the red lady and Stannis, or does that kind of birth have nothing to do with that kind of pregnancy?
Can someone answer this, even if it's in a spoiler tag? I always get confused about the passage of time in this series.
Old 04-25-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Can someone answer this, even if it's in a spoiler tag? I always get confused about the passage of time in this series.
Spoiler:
that kind of birth has nothing to do with that kind of pregnancy
Old 04-25-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Time until birth spoiler:

Spoiler:
Not 9 months.
Old 04-25-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's impossible to know for sure, but my guess was about a week at most.
Super minor book spoiler which reiterates the above point:
Spoiler:
Davos is shocked when she takes off her cloak and is pregnant because it would be impossible.
Did Stannis cut off some of Davos's fingers in their previous encounter when Davos was a smuggler? This is the second time they mentioned something like that but it's still lost on me.
Yeah, that's what happened. Davos was a smuggler and for reasons that haven't been explained on the show yet, Stannis knighted. Because he's Stannis though, he still had to punish him for being a smuggler so he cut off the fingers on his left hand, and he wears the bones in a pouch around his neck.
Old 04-25-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

So, not Ser Jorah, I meant the young Dothraki guy that was featured pretty prominently in season 1. Is he the one who was killed, or is he the one rider that hasn't come back yet?
Old 04-25-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Well that doesn't make any sense, Tywin thinks a random girl prisoner is trust worthy?
In the GOT universe, the position is more like a servant or page. He needed one, he picked her.
Old 04-25-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, not Ser Jorah, I meant the young Dothraki guy that was featured pretty prominently in season 1. Is he the one who was killed, or is he the one rider that hasn't come back yet?
Rakharo was the one she named in episode 2 as the dead one. In the books, while she did send out her 3 bloodriders, none came back dead so this is new ground.
Old 04-25-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

None came back dead? Wow, I don't like how the writers of the show invent stuff like that and the rat scene.
Old 04-25-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
Rakharo was the one she named in episode 2 as the dead one. In the books, while she did send out her 3 bloodriders, none came back dead so this is new ground.
Thanks, that was the guy I was thinking about. So that poor third bloodrider is going to have a tough time finding them now, huh?

Originally Posted by Draven
In the GOT universe, the position is more like a servant or page. He needed one, he picked her.
So do people have more than one?
Old 04-25-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
None came back dead? Wow, I don't like how the writers of the show invent stuff like that and the rat scene.
How is that invented? There's torture in the books. Does it matter if a rat was involved or not?

They've skipped over big bits of Arya's and Dany's stories to this point. They wouldn't play well on tv.

In season one (very minor book 3 spoiler):
Spoiler:
Joffrey had the tongue of Marillion (the singer) cut out whereas in the books, he's unsullied and plays a part in the closing of book 3. The show-runners even make mention in the commentary that it was an intentional choice to make the scene and a small price to pay if the show continued to a point where season 3 or 4 mattered.
Old 04-25-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
Yeah, that's what happened. Davos was a smuggler and for reasons that haven't been explained on the show yet, Stannis knighted. Because he's Stannis though, he still had to punish him for being a smuggler so he cut off the fingers on his left hand, and he wears the bones in a pouch around his neck.
And the fingers were cut to the first knuckle of his hand if I recall.
Old 04-25-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wishbone
Yes. My friend asked me how he could row with just one hand. I had to clarify that not only does he have two hands, but he has enough fingers to grasp an oar
Old 04-25-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
How is that invented? There's torture in the books. Does it matter if a rat was involved or not?
It matters to me, obviously. Why not show the torture thats in the books? I can understand omitting things or condensing things in creative ways but coming up with a detail not in the book that's featured in the episode as key scenes strikes me as taking a bit too much liberty.
Old 04-25-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Haha, I thought I'd written that. You're correct. His fingers were "shortened."
Old 04-25-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What if it was under the advisement of Martin? What if he was all like "I always wish I killed that toolbag Rakharo!" It's not like he's not directly involved with the show. I have a feeling not much is going to transpire without him knowing about or caring too strongly against.
Old 04-25-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Why doesn't the Hound step in to defend Joffrey? I was thinking Bronn could easily kill that one guard but would have a tougher time with the Hound.
The hound will defend Joffery's LIFE but he's not getting involved in his bullshit, as evidenced when he stopped Sansa from pushing Joffery off the footbridge, but didnt make a big deal about it.

Also, keep in mind. Joffery is a ROYAL MINORITY. In actuality he's not old enough to be the King, that's why Cerci is the Queen Regent...she technically rules until he is old enough.

Tyrion is the Hand of the King and Tywin Lannister's representative. Tywin runs the kingdom. The Hound is smart enough to realize that Joffery is just playing king and the real power is being bandied back and forth between Cerci and Tyrion until Tywin comes back.

I still don't understand, strategy-wise, why the two brothers want to waste their time and resources on each other before confronting King's Landing and the Lannisters... luckily Robb is keeping them busy, but if not, I don't care how many men Renly has, wouldn't they be caught between two armies?
Because possession is 9/10ths of the law. Renly has 100k men. Stannis has dick. Renly's men either come from men he SHOULD be surrendering to Stannis, and men who belong to Highgarden. The Tyrell family gave Renly thier kick-ass Knight son to be Renly's right hand man, and thier daughter to be Queen. They wouldn't be too happy if Renly handed them to Stannis and assumed the role of member of the small council and Heir to the throne until Stannis finds himself a son.

I'm also confused. Wouldn't WHO be caught between two armies?
Old 04-25-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It matters to me, obviously. Why not show the torture thats in the books? I can understand omitting things or condensing things in creative ways but coming up with a detail not in the book that's featured in the episode as key scenes strikes me as taking a bit too much liberty.
Someone who hasn't even read the books is that bothered by such minor details being changed, such as a rat being added to a torture scene? That's a new one.

Sorry, not into it THAT much.
Old 04-25-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Shit, do we even want to mention to you all the MAJOR shit that has been changed from the books?
Old 04-25-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

Because possession is 9/10ths of the law. Renly has 100k men. Stannis has dick. Renly's men either come from men he SHOULD be surrendering to Stannis, and men who belong to Highgarden. The Tyrell family gave Renly thier kick-ass Knight son to be Renly's right hand man, and thier daughter to be Queen. They wouldn't be too happy if Renly handed them to Stannis and assumed the role of member of the small council and Heir to the throne until Stannis finds himself a son.

I'm also confused. Wouldn't WHO be caught between two armies?
Ah, should've checked the map, Dragonstone is actually North East of King's Landing and Renly's area is East, right?

I didn't mean Renly should take Stannis's offer, just that it seems like they could dethrone Joffrey first, then deal with succession after. How big is Tywin's army again? I know it's smaller than Renly's, but it would still seem like a fight with Stannis would weaken Renly's forces.

Where is Tywin's army, anyway? Is it split between Casterly Rock and defending King's Landing?
Old 04-25-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Shit, do we even want to mention to you all the MAJOR shit that has been changed from the books?
At least not the part with

Spoiler:
Arya shooting Payne with an arrow and Ned jumping up, catching Ice in midair, and hacking Joffery to bits.
Old 04-25-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro
At least not the part with

Spoiler:
Arya shooting Payne with an arrow and Ned jumping up, catching Ice in midair, and hacking Joffery to bits.
[spoiler]You mean over the Sarlacc Pit? Epic shit that I can't believe they changed![/spioler]
Old 04-25-12, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
It's impossible to know for sure, but my guess was about a week at most.
Super minor book spoiler which reiterates the above point:
Spoiler:
Davos is shocked when she takes off her cloak and is pregnant because it would be impossible.
His fingers were cut off because he was a smuggler as has been pointed out. He is known as the Onion Knight because
Spoiler:
During a seige he was able to run the blockade and deliver onions to the castle to keep them from starving to death.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.