Game of Thrones -- "Garden of Bones" -- 4/22/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Garden of Bones" -- 4/22/12

Old 04-23-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Garden of Bones" -- 4/22/12

Originally Posted by KirstenS
My husband commented that the "13" looked and acted like they came directly out of a 1960s Star Trek episode. The city CGI however, was stunning.

Disagree. I think that "13" looked like they were out of the 1980s Flash Gordon movie.
Old 04-23-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Also, I don't know how you take Arya muttering some names and making it into a prayer.
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I dont actually call it a prayer, though. If you follow Yoren's story, Arya is actually reciting a list of the people she wants to kill.
(Spoilered because it's in the book but it pertains to the scene only)
Spoiler:

A prayer of sorts...
Every night Arya would say their names: "Ser Gregor," she'd whisper to her stone pillow. "Dunsen, Polliver, Chriswyck, Raff the Sweetling. The Tickler and the Hound. Ser Amory, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cercei." Back in Winterfell, Arya had prayed with her mother in the sept and with her father in the godswood, but there were no gods on the road to Harrenhal, and her names were the only prayer she cared to remember.
Old 04-23-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Awesome episode!

I just now realized where I first saw the actor who plays Joffrey

Batman Begins
Old 04-23-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great episode. Man this show kicks ass.

They keep pushing boundaries with the nudity huh?
Old 04-23-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Good luck, non-bookreaders, I'm done trying to police these threads on your behalf. I've tried but it's just too much of a pain in the ass to convince others to not spoil things while I try to help fill in the gaps.
Completely understood, but past efforts appreciated. I think last season I just stopped reading the GoT threads. I pretty much got to that point with The Walking Dead as well. I'm not quite there with GoT S2, though I'm reached a certain bemusement with the lengths people will to go to justify posting spoilers in the episode threads -- even though there's a S2 spoiler thread available.

I suggest a) get a map and 2) use http://gameofthrones.wikia.com to learn about the characters and places in the show since it's not based on the books nor is it ahead of the show.
Bookmarked. Will you no longer be participating in the episode threads? There are two places I'd go to ask GoT questions if I had any, and this is one of them. Luckily (so far) it has mostly made sense to me. Of course I don't have any background on the giant girl who is in Renly's guard now and stuff like that, but it doesn't seem critical to following what they're showing us. And the wiki's help.
Old 04-23-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Why didn't Blondie want to show off the dragons?
It's risky to show them off because they are still baby dragons and not a threat to anyone, so if she showed them off to anyone, they may kill her and her people to take the baby dragons away to raise them as their own.

Once the dragons are grown, then they can be used to defeat whole armies and destroy previously impregnable fortresses.
Spoiler:

For example, Harrenhall, the massive ruined castle seen in this episode, was destroyed by an attack by dragons many, many years ago.
Old 04-23-12, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
It's risky to show them off because they are still baby dragons and not a threat to anyone, so if she showed them off to anyone, they may kill her and her people to take the baby dragons away to raise them as their own.

Once the dragons are grown, then they can be used to defeat whole armies and destroy previously impregnable fortresses.
Spoiler:
No spoiler there, sheesh!
Old 04-23-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why wouldn't they just kill her and her small band of weaklings to check the cages if they wanted to take the baby dragons away?
Old 04-23-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Awesome episode!

I just now realized where I first saw the actor who plays Joffrey

Batman Begins
The kid had kind of a douchey role in Batman Begins too
Old 04-23-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000
Why wouldn't they just kill her and her small band of weaklings to check the cages if they wanted to take the baby dragons away?
Nobody alive has any idea what dragons can do, other than the stories. For all they know, they are already badass fire-breathers who will leap out of the cage and clamp onto their head like a facehugger in alien. If she brought them out and they saw they are basically as dangerous as an mildly annoyed parakeet, then they would just kill her.
Old 04-24-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Well, it wasn't, but the ground was laid for it...

Remember in season one when The Mountain left KL and started harassing the countryside? Riverlander came in front of Ned while Robert was out with those gutted fish that were meant to frame the Tullys.

Ned called on Ser Beric Dondarrion to bring The Mountain to answer for his crimes.

It's The Mountain's men that's asking about this brotherhood and that's what Dondarrion is leading. The show just hasn't connected those two dots yet, but by now the books had.
That's interesting.

I would have figured that Ned's order would have been canceled or voided once Joffrey took the throne. Seems like someone, either Cersei, Tywin, or one of the Lannister-friendly council members, would have had King Joff do something about that.
Old 04-24-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's interesting.

I would have figured that Ned's order would have been canceled or voided once Joffrey took the throne. Seems like someone, either Cersei, Tywin, or one of the Lannister-friendly council members, would have had King Joff do something about that.
Well, since the Lannister backed men are after them, they obviously are acting against what the Lannisters want and them voiding the order is a moot point at this stage.
Old 04-24-12, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Completely understood, but past efforts appreciated. I think last season I just stopped reading the GoT threads. I pretty much got to that point with The Walking Dead as well. I'm not quite there with GoT S2, though I'm reached a certain bemusement with the lengths people will to go to justify posting spoilers in the episode threads -- even though there's a S2 spoiler thread available.

Bookmarked. Will you no longer be participating in the episode threads? There are two places I'd go to ask GoT questions if I had any, and this is one of them. Luckily (so far) it has mostly made sense to me. Of course I don't have any background on the giant girl who is in Renly's guard now and stuff like that, but it doesn't seem critical to following what they're showing us. And the wiki's help.
I've tried very hard as a person who has not only read to the books but watched every episode 4+ times to try to shed light on what was implied based on past events or conversations shown.

Other people only seem to care about how the show and the books differ or are similar.

The two mediums compliment each other rather well. It seems to me the show-runners expect you've either read the books or are savvy enough to seek out resources (be they simple histories or tv show timelines/biographies) to fill in the gaps.

All I wanted to do was fill that without necessarily spoiling next week's episode. I tried to help by providing links to existing forum threads for book-readers to compare/contrast/bitch/moan/praise, but it fell on deaf ears. It seems people would rather let everyone know they know 6-7 days before you...
Old 04-24-12, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A review of this episode:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...nes-really-is/
Old 04-24-12, 07:38 AM
Banned

Regarding the slimmer, less-imposing stature of The Mountain, doesn't it seem that this should be one of the easiest problems to solve? It's not like he has a lot of speaking parts (and his impact in the books is often conveyed more by terrifying reports of he & his men ravaging the countryside). Dunno...it seems fairly simple for costumers & makeup artists to bulk him up, especially since he's always in armor.
Old 04-24-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mordred, Tommy Ceez - Thanks for the map and the background.
Old 04-24-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was wondering whether those dragons were loyal to her or not. Like if someone did kill her and take them, would they turn on their captors? Also, Dany has implied magical powers. Would she really die in the desert?
Old 04-24-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Can we please
please
please
please
please
please

get two threads of each episode of the show?

One for noobs, as in people who have never read the books.

The other for "experts" - people who have.

It's shitty to have a thread that's half-filled with spoilers or spoiler tags, or people complaining (hey! me included).

The episode threads go to 5+ pages each time, and other shows have 8-response threads. The forum will survive with both.
Old 04-24-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by creekdipper
And a shout-out to Jack Gleeson who doesn't get much love due to his dead-on portrayal of a confused teenage male who has been given power that he can't handle. For a kid born to privilege to have nearly unlimited power suddenly fall into his lap (while having no impulse control) to demonstrate his wild mood swings & sadism is not far-fetched at all, and Gleeson really sells the part.
Golly, I just want to punch him in his prick mouth. What a consistently fantastic performance, and pitch-perfect casting. He just looks like an asshole.

Originally Posted by outcastja
Why don't the book readers just post in the GoT Season 2 spoiler thread? I don't know why one would bother posting in these weekly threads at the risk of spoiling others.
[QUOTE=pinata242;11203418]I've tried very hard as a person who has not only read to the books but watched every episode 4+ times to try to shed light on what was implied based on past events or conversations shown.

<hr>

And, here's where I show my ignorance... but where the hell did Harrenhal come in? I barely remembered it being mentioned last week.
Old 04-24-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's how AV Club sets it up:

(This Game Of Thrones post is written from the point of view of someone who has not read the books the series is based on. As such, spoilers are strictly forbidden. Any spoilers in comments will be deleted on sight. If you see spoilers, please mark them as best you can and e-mail toddvdw at gmail dot com or contact Todd on Twitter at tvoti, and he'll take care of them as soon as possible. Remember: Discussions of things that were different in the books or confirmations of things that won't happen count as spoilers, too. Have you read the books and want to discuss what's coming? That's what our experts reviews are for.)

The reviewer they have has also never read the books.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/garde...newbies,72597/
Old 04-24-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
get two threads of each episode of the show?

One for noobs, as in people who have never read the books.

The other for "experts" - people who have.

It's shitty to have a thread that's half-filled with spoilers or spoiler tags, or people complaining (hey! me included).

The episode threads go to 5+ pages each time, and other shows have 8-response threads. The forum will survive with both.
I promise you it would not matter.
Old 04-24-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Alan Sepinwall's approach where he literally deletes any comment on his blogs that discusses anything other than the footage that is show between the credits. No book talk, no next-week-previews talk, nothing other than speculation and what has actually been shown between the credits. We need a mod in here who will lay down the law and start deleting posts.
Old 04-24-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by John Slider
We need a mod in here who will lay down the law and start deleting posts.
And that's the key. The shit really shouldn't be up for debate. (Which is what half of these threads turn into.)
Old 04-24-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 04-24-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Way to ruin it Bus. The entirety of GoT is really just an elaborate Patrick Bateman origin story.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.