DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Food Network Star -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres May 13, 2012 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/600917-food-network-star-season-8-thread-premieres-may-13-2012-a.html)

davidh777 04-22-12 02:21 PM

Food Network Star -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres May 13, 2012

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2012...8_s994x200.jpg

Food Network Star season 8 premieres Sunday, May 13 at 9pm/8c (formerly known as Who Will Be the Next Food Network Star? and The Next Food Network Star?)

Get ready for a Star season unlike any other as Food Network icons coach their teams to success on camera and in the kitchen.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZaQjyEgIeI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZaQjyEgIeI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sounds like they're trying to be The Voice of food-competition shows.

Deftones 04-22-12 04:37 PM

Re: Food Network Star -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres May 13, 2012

A bit early to start this thread. :)

davidh777 04-22-12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 11201102)
A bit early to start this thread. :)

:lol: I usually figure it's fair game to start a thread once the promos have started, as long as it's bumped when the broadcast is about to start. I agree it's more useful for shows that have buzzworthy cast members, but heck, I thought about doing this a week or two again and had time today. Who knows where I'll be on May 13? :)

TheBigDave 04-22-12 08:13 PM

With the exception of Guy Fieri, have any of the previous contestants actually become a "Food Network Star"?

Josh-da-man 04-22-12 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11201330)
With the exception of Guy Fieri, have any of the previous contestants actually become a "Food Network Star"?

The ones who still have shows are usually buried in the morning or afternoon. Aarti was on Chopped All-Stars last week, and they seemed to imply that her show was still on but I don't think I've ever seen it.

Deftones 04-22-12 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11201330)

I wouldn't say "star" but Melissa, Aarti and Jeff the sandwich guy still have shows on the air.

DJariya 04-22-12 08:25 PM

Are they re-airing last season by some chance? I fell way behind on it last summer and missed the last 5 episodes. I wasn't crazy about last season's contestants, especially the Persian chick (I don't remember her name), but I wouldn't mind finishing it up.

I did a search on Directv and Food Network Star didn't come up yet.

davidh777 04-22-12 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11201335)
The ones who still have shows are usually buried in the morning or afternoon. Aarti was on Chopped All-Stars last week, and they seemed to imply that her show was still on but I don't think I've ever seen it.

I saw Aarti on the Chopped promo and couldn't remember her name for the life of me. They always get that Sunday noon-ish slot, and I usually watch a few episodes and don't tune in again. Melissa's show was actually not bad, but I tuned in for one episode of Sandwich King and said, "Wait, all this guy's going to talk about is sandwiches?" -screwy- :lol:

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11201350)
Are they re-airing last season by some chance? I fell way behind on it last summer and missed the last 5 episodes. I wasn't crazy about last season's contestants, especially the Persian chick (I don't remember her name), but I wouldn't mind finishing it up.

I did a search on Directv and Food Network Star didn't come up yet.

If they do re-air it, I imagine it would happen in the lead-up to the new season. I know that happens a lot with other Food Network competitions and with Top Chef.

(The annoying sexy Persian mama was Penny.)

Timber 04-22-12 09:02 PM

All I know is that The Sandwich King is a good show. Jeff is surprisingly funny and he makes a good looking sandwich.

My Other Self 04-22-12 09:08 PM

Ahh, the start of the summer TV season! Next Food Network Star, Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, and whatever good schlock that's in-between. Can't wait! :)

Evan Meadow 04-23-12 05:48 AM

Penny, Vic, and 2 other contestants from last year's cycle were on Chopped Champions earlier tonight.

Won't say who won, but wasn't happy so let that be a clue.

Deftones 04-23-12 05:56 AM

aaron still has a show too

Deftones 04-23-12 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow (Post 11201807)
Penny, Vic, and 2 other contestants from last year's cycle were on Chopped Champions earlier tonight.

Won't say who won, but wasn't happy so let that be a clue.

Spoiler:
I loved Scott Conant dressing Penny down for her filo dough thing. And then telling her she can't talk her way out of it. :lol:

the best part is knowing that Penny is going to get completely slaughtered in the final round by Michael Symon and whoever wins next week's episode

CKMorpheus 04-23-12 06:17 PM

Now that Alton Brown is on this (and I read in a tweet he made that he made some contestant cry) I will be watching with rapt attention. Alton is obviously going to win.

My Other Self 04-23-12 11:10 PM

Penny's is back on TV? Oh Lord. I can't stand the word sexy anymore because of her. :lol:

I love Alton Brown but the douchey white-haired exec is kind of essential to the cast. Is he gone?

davidh777 05-13-12 01:14 AM

Bumping for the Sunday two-hour :eek: premiere

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11203301)
Penny's is back on TV? Oh Lord. I can't stand the word sexy anymore because of her. :lol:

I love Alton Brown but the douchey white-haired exec is kind of essential to the cast. Is he gone?

Alton, Bobby, and Giada are supposed to be the team coaches so Bob Tuchman and Suzie might still be around as judges.

LiquidSky 05-15-12 08:02 PM

Enjoyable episode. Not sure who I like yet.

DJariya 05-20-12 05:47 PM

Bump

Episode 2 is tonight. Just starting to watch the premiere today.

It looks like they changed the format of the show with the coaches now.

Plus, it looks like it's actually shot in HD and not in SD and stretched to fill a 16:9 screen.

Wazootyman 05-21-12 03:12 AM

I said it in my other (duplicate) thread, but there's no doubt in my mind that Alton's team is going to win. Not only does he have the personalities I like best, I think he has the most production knowledge of any of them. He made his way to Food Network on the basis of his production. It wasn't his cooking skills or his freakishly large mouth that did it, it was he decided he wanted a fun show about cooking, so he made it.

The only one with any possiblity outside of Alton's team is Michelle, because she's got some hardcore personality.

barelypure 05-21-12 10:37 AM

I always thought Alton made it because he was early on and they were searching for show ideas. Not that I don't like his and I watch him almost religiously. But, for the up and coming it gets harder to knock a show off and take their place. Not that some of them shouldn't be taken off (Barefoot Contessa).

LiquidSky 06-04-12 07:35 PM

I like the retro 1950s gal and the nerd dude. I also like Michelle but she needs to get back to being relaxed in front of people. Her hair is too similar to Chef Ann.

Sorry to see Mr. Hand-Crafted go. I'll be his food is delicious.

mugwump 06-05-12 08:51 AM

As the show makes painfully clear they're more interested in personalities than cooking chops so a guy like Eric who could cook circles around most of the others but had no star appeal was doomed from the start.

Josh-da-man 06-05-12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 11259640)
As the show makes painfully clear they're more interested in personalities than cooking chops so a guy like Eric who could cook circles around most of the others but had no star appeal was doomed from the start.

Next Food Network Star is sort of like a bush league American Idol.

It's a big, prime time contest for something that nobody really cares about, but people will watch it anyway. Outside of Guy Fieri, has anyone really become a Food Network "star?" Most of the winners' shows are buried in the morning or afternoon.

You win and you become the Lee DeWyze of cooking shows.

DWilson 06-05-12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 11259640)

They also want you to come in with a concept in mind and play to it, -"The Sandwich King", -or present an angle they're not presently covering, -like "Aarti" and Indian Food. Anyone who didn't present a clear idea on Episode One is pretty much doomed.

To be fair, though, what are the elements that make you watch a food show when you stumble on the channel or see a commercial on the cannel, -usually it's the concept or something appealing about the host, -and then as you watch you generally get a bead on their cooking ability or if the way they prepare their food appeals to you.

misterchimpy 06-17-12 09:51 PM

Definitely seems like it's Justin's competition to lose. I can also see Michelle and Emily at the end with him. The rest are pretty annoying especially Martita and Marti.

Justin's backstory is pretty interesting, he was one of a group of waiters at The Modern in Manhattan that left to start a restaurant called "Do or Dine" in Brooklyn(in Bed-Stuy no less). I can see why the judges love him so much.

He also won an episode of "24 Hour Restaurant Battle"

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2010...s-food-network

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2012...g-chef-home-ec